MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serpentine belt retro  (Read 1721 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« on: February 06, 2015, 04:12:01 AM »

Anyone attempt to put a serpentine belt on an old bigblock yet?  Other than the aftermarket companies that is.  I'm looking for advice for factory parts from later vehicles. 

At some point in the future here I'll be converting to MPI and then I expect AC from the RV to sanden.  I figure if I'm going to modern up the car that much I may as well keep going and get a modern belt system too. 

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »

Never done it myself or know anyone else that has, but make sure the routing turns the water pump in the correct direction. Attaching the needed pulleys shouldn't be too difficult, but adding the tensioner might be the fun part as to where to attach it. If I were doing it, I would get pictures of existing setups to help locate everything.

68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Bill

• View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:39 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Never done it myself or know anyone else that has, but make sure the routing turns the water pump in the correct direction. Attaching the needed pulleys shouldn't be too difficult, but adding the tensioner might be the fun part as to where to attach it. If I were doing it, I would get pictures of existing setups to help locate everything.

I think the hardest part is going to be the crank pulley.  well that and finding the proper length belt.  And figuring out the PS pump issue, keeping it from flopping around as they did then.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »

The problem is there is no big block that was ever cerpentine.  Only the LA based Magnums were.  I don't know if the lower pulley will bolt up to the damper or not either.  Never tried it  I think you'll have to go to one of those kits
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

There are aftermarket companies that offer these; I see them a lot at Hot Rod Shows.  The last time was Hot August Nights last year in Reno.  They are billet and expensive, but they will do the job.

However, I don't like them.  Unlike a factory set-up, they stick too far out in front of the motor and just look bad.  I'm sure they work well, but just look ugly... in my opinion.

Snotty2015-02-09 13:03:10
It's green here in Chico!!

Brian

• View Profile
Serpentine belt retro
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »

I have to agree with Snotty on this one as well.  I am not a fan of the serpentine belts on the old mopar motors...or any old style V8 really.  Ad trying to make up a system from scratch!  That could be a huge job!

I would head over to Bouchillon performance and look at what they have.  Some of their stuff...including the Sanden AC compressor kits (which I used on the 440 in the wagon) are quite nice.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC