MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Erratic ammeter. charging problems.  (Read 1371 times)

Jeremy Stewart

• View Profile
Erratic ammeter. charging problems.
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »

Jeremy

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

Bulk head connector where it gors through the fire wall.  The connections are probably burned away if it's reading like that.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jeremy Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »

Ok. Ill look into repairing/replacing that. Thanx so much.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »

The bulkhead connector is not something one simply replaces, it is about 20 wires that connect male and female connectors using a block that connects to the bulkhead below the master cylinder (location-wise) and then I believe 4 unplug connectors on the engine side of it. You have to unplug them one at a time and look at them, if they are green, you have a corrosion problem. There is one big red wire which feeds the amp gauge at the dash, then the other side of it goes to the fuse block to power everything there.The amp gauge has an insulation material that over time likes to break down and then short, but that doesn't seem to be the issue right now, but it is still direct power, you may wish to replace this or re-insulate it for safety, it is usually the reason for a dash fire.  Back to the bulkhead connector, and if green, you can clean the connections with vinegar to remove the corrosion, a little container the connector can be dipped into vinegar about 5-10 minutes depending on the corrosion level, then let it dry, coat with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion in the future. The bulkhead connector itself has a couple spring clamps that can be pushed to get it through the bulkhead and soaked to clean inside and under the dash (it is about brake pedal level and kind of tight in there. Same thing to clean it. Next thing is the brake lights itself, check damage at the bulbs, the wires like to crack and short in the trunk, there is a connector at the kickpanel behind the emergency brake on the side, and it goes up to the headlight switch, check those. Being you aren't blowing fuses, I would think something connected to the direct power wire for the headlights and tail lights is the main short. Get a wiring diagram to trace wires, go from there.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »

Actually it's a heavy #10 red and/or black wire.  It goes in and goes back out to the battery at the starter relay.

I believe that has only 1 plug on it.  I forget, but I have a virgin dash harness from a 67 here I can look at if you want.  69 on up had more plugs.  3.  The connector was done away with in 74 on the C Bodies.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »

OK, interesting. I was going by the B body and all the others I have seen around the era. Needless to say, replacement isn't that much of an option. If the connectors, males and females, need actual replacement, I use a paper clip I have flattened a little bit to get into the little notch to release them from the holders, and NAPA carries them so you can replace them. Make sure to write down the locations for the wires so they remain in original positions.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Jeremy Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

All very helpful. . Thanks so much.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

The factory TSP was to drill through and splice a solid piece of wire in.  Not my way of looking original

Ed was right.  It's 3 plugs.  Sorry

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »

Here ya go

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »

And you see the little notch on the bottom side of each female connector? If you push the wire and slip that flattened paper clip I talked about in there, the tab that holds the wire in place will be depressed and the wire will pull out the back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC