MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc Brake Question  (Read 1571 times)

• View Profile
Disc Brake Question
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

Next question is the steering. Is/are there companies out there who rebuild the boxes and improve their performance? She'd ultimately like to convert it over to power steering.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Disc Brake Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »

check with aajbrakes.com.  Call Roger and tell him Steve Hobby said Yo.  He has a simple conversion kit, pretty much bolt on.  He also has kits for the rear.

Those aluminum non-power weren't the most stout steering boxes. . .  SteeringGear is a good source for a rebuilt.  I would have them do hers though. . . . Keeps the car original.  In the mean time, you can take a 1/2 a turn on the adjustment.  But before doing that, make sure everything else is up to snuff
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Disc Brake Question
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »

Yes on the steering box. I have also seen the bolts back out and become loose, so make sure they are tight. Rag joint in between do wear out, too, so lots to check in the front end. Doesn't seem like enough miles are on it to be internally worn, so yes, a half turn to tighten the worm gear sounds about right.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Disc Brake Question
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Yes on the steering box. I have also seen the bolts back out and become loose, so make sure they are tight. Rag joint in between do wear out, too, so lots to check in the front end. Doesn't seem like enough miles are on it to be internally worn, so yes, a half turn to tighten the worm gear sounds about right.

I been doing this a good week and a half.  LOL
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

• View Profile
Disc Brake Question
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

Everything in the front suspension is new and has been replaced, except that rag joint. I'll have to take a look at it when I get the time, something rare these days, and get back to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC