MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy from freeport, il  (Read 5134 times)

Eric Koning

• View Profile
New guy from freeport, il
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

Sorry Carrman, didnt mean to hurt any ones feelings. The fact of the matter is I would have to buy a tank anyways or make one so why not go with one that is already set up for efi where i can buy the parts cheaper? Also if I ever have to service the tank in any way it is easier to get to.

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »

Little update. We slobbered some paint on the firewall and frame. Cleaned up, painted, and mounted the 5.9 and trans. Afterwards we found out we had to change the tunnel because the drive shaft would rub on it. Sure did suck cutting up the orig floor for that. lol. Never owned an old car where we didnt have to replace the floor and I finally get one we dont need to but then cut it up. We are putting in 4 bucket seats because thats what I have and orig seat was tore up and uncomfortable. We mounted the drivers seat. Got the new brake booster, mc, and peddle hung. Next step is to run brake lines. Put the disk brake conversion kit in the front. In the rear there is a ford 8.8 rear end(came with it and Im fresh out of 8.75s) Have all new brake stuff for that. Turns out it has a Limited slip 3:73 gear which should work great with the od trans. Shortly the wiring mess will come along. Not looking forward to that. lol

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

MMMM   Sounds strange.  What trans?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 03:00:55 AM »

47re that came with the motor.  What sounds strange?

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »

Usually what ends up happening is the rear crossmember for the trans has to be lowered about 2 inches to fix that problem compared to a regular 3spd trans so the tunnel just needs to be expanded at the overdrive portion of the 47RE, but too late now. Wiring isn't that difficult, the engine/computer and trans wiring is minimal, try doing this with a Ford and it is a monster that weights 35lbs vice three pounds for the Dodges. Sounding good so far though, keep up the good work.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »

Alright wiring gurus that have put an efi in an old car. Need your help bad. We have the original engine harness from the 97 ram including the trans wiring. My dad was positive we could get this figured out. We are having problems with how to make this wiring work while getting rid of all the wiring that goes inside the car for like the dash and stuff. My dad is at the point of making me spend $1000 on a harness that I dont really have. His issue is that all wires go from one relay to another and we arent sure how to do that with only keeping the correct ones to make the car run. Has anyone made up a diagram from when they did theirs?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »

Do you have the wiring diagram?  You need it for that specific harness

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »

yes I have a manual on a cd and we have printed off what we need. Part of issue is these diagrams aren't layed out like they use to be. Before you could follow one wire all the way through. Now one wire will be on multiple pages at least thats how the cd is

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

I did this on Polaraco.  It has a 518 with the computer.  But I used a 92 harness.  You can tune that one, it's ODP2.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »

Yes, it is an engineering feat to follow those diagrams, so backward engineer the diagrams. Start with a large piece of paper or papers and draw everything out. Compared to the Fords, this is pretty easy, helped a friend that ended up with a Lightning engine and trans and two garbage cans of wires and got it running on a stand (which has to have a dash panel to operate). He had the books (literally 200+ pages each), and yes, taped paper on the wall, started identifying colors and pieces to sensors and figured it out in two days after he spent two weeks going page to page. The easy part for the Dodges is, get the engine sensors plugged in and then go from the bulkhead connector to the inside pieces and gauges to simplify things, Mopars are pretty good about sensors and plugs only go one place, only a couple duplicate on the engine. The engine and computer is one harness, headlights separate, so deal with the engine first, computer and to the bulkhead, use the paper diagrams to identify bulkhead connector wire location and colors to dash gauges.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »

Make copies of the ECM pages.  make notes and keep transposing them as you succeed.  You may need this info later.
It's not as hard as it sounds

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »

Alright, thanks. Maybe I will let my dad forget about it for awhile because he is pretty frustrated with it now. lol. He runs a one man welding shop so he works on it during his free time. Usually by time he gets a chance to work on it he gets interrupted and forgets where he is at.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »

Masking tape and a marker.  The ecm wiring is on 2 pages.  there should be a list of the wire numbers and a brief description of what it does.  There should also be a chart showing the location on the ECM.  Once you look that over, it should make sense to you.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC