MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy from freeport, il  (Read 5036 times)

Eric Koning

• View Profile
New guy from freeport, il
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Not sure why the original 5.9 pump won't work with the original power steering box, fittings would be the only thing I would think would need to be matched up. There is a serpentine belt for the pump so you may not want to go through the problems associated with fitting a different pump and matching a belt to make a GM pump work. The EFI fuel system has no return line, so that shouldn't be an issue, either.  Check around different EFI cars for shapes as far as tanks go, you may find something that has the same outlet location and the pump inside, needed pressure (45-48psi is where the pressure is), otherwise, external pump is the better setup for simplicity and not worrying about the size and shape of the pump or tank, make a tank you want.

Pretty sure the 5.9 pump will put to much pressure to the 57 gear box and blow the seals.  I think I will go with the external fuel pump. Just dont know the exact one I need for the efi. So many to choose from lol. Im just going to copy the orig tank because it sits behind the quarter panel and fits around the wheel well.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »

You could dig into the books a tiny bit and see what the original pressure was. I believe it was in the 1200psi range, but all my books are packed away to verify. And I definitely don't know what the 5.9 pump puts out pressure-wise.  Since stock isn't an issue, possibly you would look into moving up to rack and pinion?
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

We decided today that we would go with a rack and pinion, I think. lol  Found out the pressure for the 57 is 750-800psi and the 97 5.9 is rated at 1600.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:59 PM »

Yeah, quite a difference there and I think the rack and pinion setup will be a wonderful addition, and look a lot cleaner to boot.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »

I was able to get some work done on the car this past saturday. Pulled the front clip off and the engine/trans out. Unfortunately I have limited time to work on the car so this will be a slow moving process. We were discussing our options with the gas tank. I can make one to match the original which might be an issue with modern pump because the tank is 22" tall or the other option is to build my own tank and put it where the spare tire goes under the floor. The issue with that will be running the plumbing for filling the tank. decisions decisions  lol

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »

Why can't you just put the pump in the bottom of the tank and use the factory sending unit?.  I would think all you need is a flange on the bottom of the tank.  Those tanks rust out in the bottom anyway
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »

That, and it would be easy to adapt the newer units in the tank to one that is that deep. Think truck gas tanks, I think the Dakota tanks are that deep, and if you are going to have to make a tank anyway, all it needs is a screw on flange (like a jar lid, just a little larger) to add to the top of the tank and be done with it. If you don't wish to do that, external. Fast and easy, no worries about the depth of the tank at all.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »

1968 Newport Convertible

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »

So I have three of these original tanks and all three are rusted out at the bottom lol. What we thinking about is putting the gas tank under the floor in the back of the wagon. I have alot of room there. I found a few 90s tanks and one in particular is a brand x but I can get if for under $120 then I just need to add the orig fuel pump for that tank for $60. We really considered building our own tank but by the time I buy all the material, fittings, pump, and sending unit I will be over the amount of the brand x. We got some other work done on the car this week, mostly pulling all the door handles off and getting 57 years of dried up grease off and reinstalling them. Its the small things that seem to take the longest. Oh well keeps me out of trouble. lol

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

Why not have one of the rusted tanks modified with a bottom sump flange?  Put the pump in there.  Then it looks original and will give you more fuel capicity

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »

Or do a fuel surge tank.....
1968 Newport Convertible

Eric Koning

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »

For some reason I dont care for the surge tank idea. Dont know why just dont. As far as modifying the original tank the problem is the way the tank is made it would be hard to match the seem on it so it doesnt leak. I will be putting a 20 gal tank in and if I wanted to could go with a bigger one. We will be filling from the original spot on the left wing of the car too. Room is not an issue where we are putting the new one and in fact I will still have room for a tool box.

Im not too concerned with originality, If I was, I wouldnt be putting a computerized motor and trans in. For the most part the car will look original, just will have more modern, more reliable in todays driving conditions, and easier to find parts for.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 06:05:17 AM »

Does anyone have a cross reference book, see if there is another newer model that uses the same tank?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »

Yeah I do.  Nag me to remind me

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »

Well I offered a minimal fabrication solution to you and you didn't like it, so good luck you.  I'm out.
1968 Newport Convertible
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC