MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel bearing problems  (Read 1313 times)

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
Wheel bearing problems
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »

hey there guys whats up??? so I have had my Neon since May, and i have just replaced my third wheel bearing. same one too. i have been thinking is it the parts?? or just another underlaying problem. any thoughts???
176K miles 10/22

Snotty

• View Profile
Wheel bearing problems
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

Has the car been in an accident, if so did it involve the front end?  If yes, you will need to swap the front suspension on that side with another.  

It's green here in Chico!!

Guests

Wheel bearing problems
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

I have to agree. Full replacement is the best idea, usually it is something out of phase or a twist from a hard curve hit, something like that, even a bad bushing in the lower control arm portion which allows the angle of the transaxle halfshaft twist just enough that it puts bad pressure on it. Since it has been three, definitely something wrong, they can last greater than 350K miles if nothing is damaged. Check the shaft itself, it may be dinked or twisted, too.

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
Wheel bearing problems
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »

Dana- it is the rear axle, and today when i went to replace the bearing i noticed that there was no play in the bearing itself, the wobbling is in the brake drum, almost an 1/4 inch to be exact. now my question is, could the previous bad bearing cause the drum to wear unevenly??
176K miles 10/22

Guests

Wheel bearing problems
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

It could, but more likely overheating or seizing and then a constant burninshing of sorts could have eaten it out. Pretty sure you would have noticed the race would have simply fallen out of the drum in that case.

And sorry, thought it was a front one, not a rear, my bad.

Check the axle for wear/damage, too, this isn't a common occurence, but best to check everything now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC