MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlamps cutting out  (Read 2486 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »

This has been a problem that is getting worse, after I bypassed the ammeter, and today I threw a set of relays on the low and high beam circuits.

Do a quick road test, and it is like nothing has changed

Looks like I'll be tearing into the dash to change out the switch with its soldered harness, and make the change to a new switch that has blades at the back instead of a harness.

This sucks...I just had to vent...btw howdy y'all, ltnc

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Guests

Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »

As I recall, there is also a ground wire up in the front somewhere around the radiator support, and then check the harness as it goes back to the bulkhead connection, I had one that is under the battery tray and grease and oil over the years had it all funky, was doing the same thing. This way you can also reconnect the ammeter, and it is a whole lot easier than pulling the dash for starters.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:08 AM »

Check the bulkhead connector and make sure it's seated.  Headlight switch.  They use a common ground on the rad support.  Seen that several times on that vintage
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

I had this on my 70 Sport Fury...or something similar.  I couldn't run high beams for very long of the switch would get so hot it would start tripping the circuit.  Also check the high/low beam switch on the floor...since everything for the headlights run through that one.  Make sure all the connections are clean, and it has a good ground.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Snotty

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »

I agree with Brian - check the floor switch.  I have the same problem with my Newport.  I have a new switch but have not put it in yet.  D'oh!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

If the dash lights stay lit, maybe.

Snotty

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

Not just the dash lights Steve, but all lights.  If the only thing gong out is his headlights there is probably no greater problem existing.
It's green here in Chico!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:50:35 AM »

I know once I swapped out the breaker voltage regulator for an electronic one my high beams don't trip out the lights anymore. Before that I could only go about 10 minutes on high beams before the lights would cut out.

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:32 AM »

Since they are so hard to find, I would relay everything.  head lights, park lights, HB's and take the load off the breaker

Ken

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »

Well, I dug into the dash today after work (just what I wasn't looking forward to doing), got everything back together roughly 4 hours later...hey, I'm using mostly hand tools, and squeezing under the dash/steering column ain't the easiest thing for me to do (Scotty knows this to be true).

Undid the ammeter bypass and hooked everything back up per how it left the factory, then did a test letting the car idle with the lights on.  It seemed to be OK, but as I was heading out of the complex the flickering came back

Drove back to my stall, headlamps still flickering, and so I futzed with the switch to no avail.  For some reason I thought checking out the flasher system might be worth some giggles since it went awol too...lo and behold, they started working...a little balky with the left side coming on, then both sides after juggling that switch.

This encouraged me, and so I figured I would do a night time road test

The car behaved pretty well for 30 minutes of surface street driving, and I thought I fixed the gremlins, but after getting back to the carport the flickering started again.

There might be a partial short via the flashers, and the other items that aren't working are both cigar lighters (in dash and in the back of the buddy seat) and the clock, which went kaput last year (it's pretty neat to see a clock suddenly operating in warp-speed mode where it's spinning the minute hand at 2 to 3 rotations a second!)

So as near as I can tell, my switch is crapping out, and I don't have the time to chase electrons like I used to when my work schedule allowed me to get off at 2:30pm instead of 5pm.

Not enough $$ to throw relays on everything, Steve....I'm an OPGW, remember?

Moesy2012-05-03 02:19:41
'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »

I still didn't read that all the lights were going out, or just the headlights

Ken

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

Just the headlights, but the dash will sometimes go out after a while

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

That;s the circuit breakers in the switch.  Is the wiring on this car all bastardized?

Ken

• View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

Bastardized in what way?   I have replaced the power feed through the bulkhead, and I didn't do the wiring for the electronic ignition or the electric choke on the AFB, but I DID do the relays for the low and high beams.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Headlamps cutting out
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »

I'm betting the circuit breaker in the switch is done
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC