MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1958 DeSoto heater core leak?  (Read 6518 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
1958 DeSoto heater core leak?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 05:24:29 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Definitely hook it up direct. As long as there is a heater door to block off the hot air, or allow you to direct the hot air where you want it to go, like defrost, panel or floor, not having a valve only prevents you from shutting the flow off.

Try Rockauto.com  

I looked at several of them, vacuum and manual control, my post talks about it, most are vacuum operated now, but they do list like 1965 C10 truck valves that are still manual, or around a 1972 Dodge Challenger, after thinking about it, would work. It actually has two hoses in and out, but only one in and out is controlled and the bottom connection could be cut off, not neede and not controlled at all.

Bet this would work:    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=815513

Thank you Ed...I really appreciate all the time you looked around for me. I'm sure from all your research I can come up with something to go in there, that will function just like original and also look good too.

You're a great forum friend to help me like this

Bob 
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Guests

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 06:11:50 AM »

Bob, pretty simple. Too many times people waste time trying to jury rig something that doesn't work, and although you don't sound like one of those, I would hate to see you waste a ton of time or money (we are all short of those things), so thought I would help out. There may even be something that has a bracket so you can put the actual cable and arm inside the heater box so it covers the hole and looks stock other than the hose direction itself.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 08:22:40 AM »

Ed...Except for the price...I liked the looks of this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-19-68-MOPAR-Heater-Water-Control-Valve-A-C-AC-/140213670806trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=1&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=3728592991431095991&_trksid=p4506.m7&item=140213670806&vxp=mtr

Very similar to mine (although it's for an AC car). The positive side of all this, I have the luxury to take my time and look now...I put the heater hoses directly on the heater core and added the new antifreeze this past weekend so that's all set for the winter now...The interior has been removed and is at the upholstery shop, so time is on my side now to look and find a control valve over the winter. I'm scraping and treating the rust on the floorpans in the meantime. So it's all good.  I just thought about this...I guess maybe it would be considered a project car now...so perhaps I should post some starting/progress photos over in that area.

Thanks again...for everything...
Bob

Here's another photo (that I really like) of the car. I hope you all enjoy.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Guests

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

She is definitely a beauty.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »

The listing is removed so I couldn't see what you were looking at.  But it shouldn't matter if it's AC or not.  It's a matter if the valve is any good or not.  Some of the used ones don't shut off because the rubber stoper is gone or bad.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Do you want the information of the valve rebuilder?  You seemed to have go off on a tangent there. . .  That guy sometimes has them on ebay, but I have his info.  I stopped looking for it when you went off with a non-stock plan.

Yes Steve, I'd like the rebuilder's name and contact info. 
furyfever2011-11-22 11:31:15

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:38:23 AM »

Thanks for the info. Steve. I'll just pass it on to others in case they need a rebuilder. I decided to go with "delcojoe". That's his e-bay member id. For $83.00 total, he'll rebuild mine and send it back to me. I'll let you all know how it goes. I just saw an NOS valve like mine go for $166.00 on e-bay and it was untested!!

furyfever2011-11-22 13:44:47

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »

I forgot to ask you Bob. .  Where did DelcoJoe come from?  Did you finbd him or was that the eGay link I sent you?

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I forgot to ask you Bob. .  Where did DelcoJoe come from?  Did you finbd him or was that the eGay link I sent you?

Yes, it was you who sent that eGay link to me...It's mainly delcojoe's rebuilt heater core valves. "rebuilt" was the key word you used in your search. I didn't think to use it so I did'nt find these. He doesn't have the valve that I need (already rebuilt) so I asked him if he could rebuild mine and he got right back to me with a yes, a price and his address. Sounds like a very nice guy! So...It was you once again Steve, helping out yet another mopar freak  Thanks man  Here it is below for anyone else who may need it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=rebuilt+heater+valves

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »

My mind is so cluttered with stuff, I do stuff like a machine lately

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »

Just a "follow up" post here.  I sent delcoJoe the heater control valve out of my 58 DeSoto. He rebuilt it and got it back to me in just a little over one week. I tested it outside of the car. It seems to work well now with no leaks and...It looks like its brand new too! His charge: $83.00 total (+ ~$5.00 shipping to get it to him). He's a very trusting soul too which is totally unheard of in this day of age. He sent it back to me without payment to him first. He just asked me to send him a check once I received it and was satisfied  

Bottom Line...

Delco Joe does great work to the customer's satisfaction and at a fair price.

Thanks for this recomendation Steve

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »

I'll have to keep him in mind
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC