MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable shift on column 65 Dodge Coronet  (Read 8230 times)

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
Cable shift on column 65 Dodge Coronet
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »

Guests

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »

So, just to get this right, if you shift into 2 (for drive), and then shift into reverse it works properly? But if you go to reverse (actually neutral), and then 2 (for drive), then shift into reverse it work correctly?

If this is the case, there is a clamp that is loose which may actually be at the selector and not at the transmission. Let me know if I am understanding this right.

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »

Quote from: dana44
So, just to get this right, if you shift into 2 (for drive), and then shift into reverse it works properly? But if you go to reverse (actually neutral), and then 2 (for drive), then shift into reverse it work correctly?

I hope I'm explaining this clearly.  Let me state it another way.  When starting in Park and then moving toward one of the selections to the right of Park such as R N D 2 1, the indicator needs to go one position past the gear I'm actually selecting.  Starting from Park to get into Reverse the the shifter needs to go one position past Reverse into Neutral for the transmission to go into reverse,  or to get into Drive it needs to go to 2nd.  When moving back the other direction however, say from Drive back to Neutral, or Neutral back to Reverse, it works correctly.
If more clarity is necessary I will shoot and upload a quick video to YouTube so you can see what's going on while I demonstrate and explain.
Thank you
Robin Henkel
As a slight diversion from this conversation I'd like to say, I've owned this car for a month and I am happy like a little kid every time I look at it.
How do I  post a photo?

Robin Henkel2011-09-30 02:53:08

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »

Here's a link to a video description of my shifter issue.  Hopefully this makes it clear. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3OV-2e6JQ

POLARACO2011-09-30 20:59:23

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »

looks like a bad bushing up on the shifter.    Take the cover off at the bottom of the column.  It's either that or the cable is binding.  Not sure how the cable is connected to the column
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »

Has to be slop at the column end of the cable somewhere. I too am unsure how it connects to the column, but whatever clamps the case to the column has to be loose in some manner, which is why one notch right to left works correctly, the loose slack is taken up.

mhutch1948

• View Profile
Re: Cable shift on column 65 Dodge Coronet
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »

I had the same problem after  (A) mechanic changed the trans in my 65 dodge Monaco.  I finally figured it out.  Where I lived at the time you couldn't do much work on your cars without the management throwing a fit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC