MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable shift on column 65 Dodge Coronet  (Read 8210 times)

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
Cable shift on column 65 Dodge Coronet
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »

This is my first post to the forum.  I am the happy new owner of a 1965 Dodge Coronet (base) 318 poly. Although it shows the signs of being 46 years old, it runs pretty good. 
It has a cable shift 727 automatic on the column.  
The shifter needs adjustment.  To shift I need to move the shifter indicator one position past the gear I'm selecting--that is, to select Reverse the shifter must be moved to indicate Neutral, to select Drive the indicator needs to go to 2nd, etc.
I may not tackle this repair myself but I am interested in learning.  I already have the 1965 Dart/ Coronet Manual but with my limited auto mechanic experience it's difficult to understand all of it.
Can you suggest any online articles or anything to help me educate myself?
Thank you
Robin Henkel

Guests

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »

Welcome to the forum first off. Second, although there may be articles to adjust the shifter, it is pretty easy. Set the parking brake and block the wheels, jack her up high enough to get under the car. Disconnect the shifter from the transmission and locate the adjustment mechanism. Go up and put the shifter into neutral, then, move the sifter arm on the transmission from park to neutral, counting the detents. adust the cable/rods so it attaches smoothly and equally, no forcing, no movement, nice and even connection, then gently tighten it enough it won't slip. Go up above and shift to park, start, go from park, reverse, neutral and drive to ensure the two are in sync and you are done. If it doesn't start, it means the adjustment isn't complete so check it again, but this time, look at all the connectins to ensure you don't have any worn parts that allow extra movement.

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Hi Ed,

Robin

Guests

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »

No problem, easy fix.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:50:31 PM »

It may be more of an indicator problem if the trans shifts into the next gear instead of not going into a selection.
See this site for info on adjusting the dash indicator:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1965/GearSelector/index.htm

or if it is a selector problem, the adjustment for the trans is different on the cable operated shifters (1965 is a one year only hybrid between the pushbutton shifters of 1956-1964 and the lever operated trans of 1966-on)

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »

BTW Welcome to the site! 

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Guests

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

Did I just screw up not thinking cable in 65? I was thinking 64 was the last year for cable of this type, so if I did a booooooboooooo, big time, I apologize, thought maybe the cable was a misprint, looked at on the column as being on the column and rods. If I did goof, I totally and completely apologize for wasting your time, and Stictherbob, thanks for correcting me, I always fess up to proper mistakes.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

65 was a hybrid year.
No pushbuttons but still had cable shift.
65  is also the first year for the slip yoke in the trans,and last year for the rear pump equipped trans.
65 was also a wierd year for motor and trans mounts,and related castings on the engine blocks.
Correct me if I am wrong.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »

Cbarge,  that all is correct as far as I know.

Robin,
I agree with Stitcherbob.  This may just be a case of the indicator needle being out of adjustment.

From your description, I assume if the lever is indicating 1st, your transmission is actually in 2nd.  Can you move the lever one more position beyond "1" to actually downshift to first?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »

Yeah, down to first would be the answer to the needle being out of position, since the park itself is a slide mechanism instead of indicating reverse position being park, right?

Again, sorry I misled you in adjustment procedures, one year off.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

no biggie....the 65's are a weird lot

There is a control box with 2 cables coming out mounted at the end of the 1965 column.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 05:19:12 AM »

If needed, here is the Shift Cable adjustment sequence as published in the FSM:

============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Rbin Henkel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 05:45:26 AM »

Wow, your responses are very appreciated. Thanks for all your comments and help.  I need to re-read and process the info you had given me.  I'm going to see what the column shifter / indicator does going into 1st, and look over the cable at the steering column end and at the transmission. I will report back.
What is your advice on cleaning  / degreasing the area where the control cable adjusting wheel connects to the transmission?  Up under the car there are areas that are hard to reach and I am concerned about getting the surfaces as clean as possible before taking anything apart.
Thanks

Guests

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »

A good can of carb cleaner with the straw nozzle, wrap/hang a cloth around the area so it catches the spray, pan or cardboard on the floor.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
I agree with Stitcherbob.  This may just be a case of the indicator needle being out of adjustment.

First thing that came to my mind, but I'm no expert here so remained silent.  I did have the same problem with my '93 Van and it was a simple fix.

Welcome Robin!
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC