MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl Roof - defective?  (Read 2412 times)

John

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »

Bob et al,

About 4 years ago we put a new black vinyl roof on my '66 New Yorker.  I bought it through SMS Auto Fabrics but I'm thinking they just re-sell them.  Anyhow, I noticed after washing the car that it looked like I hadn't got the top clean, it appears to have small spots of dirt and/or hard-water marks on it.  However, they dont' scrub out, and closer investigation reveals that in these small areas the vinyl seems to have actually changed from black to gray, and somehow the gray areas seem to be softer than the black areas.  To me, it's almost like the vinyl's lost its outer "skin", if that makes any sense.  I've tried to photograph it but so far haven't had good luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening, what might have caused it, and what I should do?

Appreciate the assistance!

John
---------------------
'66 NY 6-Window Sedan

300rag

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »

John, that really is a shame considering how good the rest of the car looks. I don't have an answer for you though.
1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/ 4 speed ; 1969 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383/727 ; 1969 Monaco 500 2-door 318/727

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »

[color=#ffff00" size="7" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Welcome[/color]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

And the reason it happens is because the material itself is slowly rotting, meaning the top needs to have a dressing coating for vinyl tops, even something like Armorall or wheel dressing stuff is a good idea, sun, cold, wet, wind blow-dry all the time either sucks the moisture out of the material, constant wind blowing on it dries it out, wet/cold/freezing gets into the pores and breaks it down, and molds love to get in the cracks. Coat it and it will stop.

firedome

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »

NAPA sells a Martin Senour Vinyl Top Dressing that is excellent...
kinda looks and goes on with a cloth like milky floor wax, dries clear,
restores and protects great

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »

The trouble is SMS

I can't trust them after they had green pyramid vinyl re-coated to black and sold it to us as factory black (green was 75 bux a yard, black was 95!).....if they supplied the vinyl to the top heat sealer, then it's a possibility

All of my vinyl tops come from Kee Auto Top

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

John

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »

@Steve/Ed: I'd think that if it were mold, I would see a  change shape with scrubbing, even temporary.  But your suggestions are both easy thing to try.

@Bob: Maybe it's a re-coated gray one... at any rate, I won't be buying there again!

Thanks guys.

John
---------------------
'66 NY 6-Window Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »

The mold could be embeded.  I can't see it, but is it possible it's under the vinyl?  Maybe the paint blistered.  I have that too!  My top is coming off soon.  Very soon.

Guests

Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

The important thing to do is change the living conditions of the mold itself and make sure it is dead. TSP, trisodium phosphate, and anything with a zinc of some sort will kill and prevent molds, mildews, and even moss from being able to grow or reproduce, so it has to be killed, otherwise you are just going to cover over it and not accomplish whatever you need to do to keep the top looking good, if it were paint blistering, 99.9percent chance it would be red from rust (my 74 Barracuda was that way), so, if you can take a small sample and verify it is mold under a microscope, that might help with identification and correction. The different vinyl jells and conditioners should help prevent them from coming back, but it is always best to kill what is there first, let it dry really well, then put the water repellent stuff on (silicone based most of them, like to shed water, which helps prevent growing spore type plants back).

John

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:27:39 AM »

No way it's rust... only 4 years old, whole car was down to metal and back at the same time, always garaged...

The microscope is a good idea, we have one at work I can use...  but I'm still leaning towards Bob's explanation.

Thanks again guys

John
---------------------
'66 NY 6-Window Sedan

Guests

Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:50 AM »

A re-dye is very possible, just trying to cover as many possibilities and fixes to correct the problem at hand while going off your descriptions of the problem, along with others with similar situations/experiences with the said company. If it does come down to a top coated dye being scrubbed off, re-dye the top and keep it dressed and oiled well, and if it's mold as noted, do that first, then dress and oil well.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »

As Ed said, these are experiences, years of it.  For the record, the top on Polaraco was done the same way, but got rust in 3 years.  In a week or two, it's coming off to be painted

John

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

Reviving an old thread for an update, hopefully pictures to follow.  I used a strong TSP solution and a stiff brush, then LOTS of water to rinse, using my fingers to monitor the rinse until no more "soapy" feeling.  Followed by a good vinyl roof dressing.  Looks good so far.  I may never know if it was mold or just hard-water spotting that worked its way in.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

John
---------------------
'66 NY 6-Window Sedan

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

Good news,John.
Thanks for the update--don't be a stranger aound here,LOL!!
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

John

• View Profile
Vinyl Roof - defective?
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 07:36:19 AM »

Quote from: John66NY
Reviving an old thread for an update, hopefully pictures
 to follow.  I used a strong TSP solution and a stiff brush, then LOTS
of water to rinse, using my fingers to monitor the rinse until no more
"soapy" feeling.  Followed by a good vinyl roof dressing.  Looks good so
 far.  I may never know if it was mold or just hard-water spotting that
worked its way in.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Top section before, bottom section after.  Sorry about the cell-phone-like quality, it's actually from my HD video camera so I must have it set up for low-res stills.  Anyhow, looks good now... Happy New Year etc. to all!

John
---------------------
'66 NY 6-Window Sedan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC