MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you clean trunk carpeting/lining?  (Read 1094 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
How do you clean trunk carpeting/lining?
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »

I've just pulled the entire trunk carpeting and lining from a junked '79 New Yorker.  I'm super excited because my car had no trunk trim whatsoever and I can't wait to "finish" that part of my car.  But before I can put it in, all the pieces really need a good, thorough cleaning.

How the heck am I supposed to do this?  And by "how" I mean what set-up should I use?  The side pieces are kinda small, but the trunk liner is big.  Do I lay down a tarp and get on my hands and knees and scrub it with a wire brush and some solvent?  Actually, what should I even use?  Soap and water?  Carpet cleaner?  Can I get the fabric wet or will that ruin it?

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:59 AM »

Grease can be removed from carpet using Carbon tetrachloride, used to
be able to get it at pharmacies.  Otherwise just lay it out and
use a stiff bristle brush and heavy duty carpet cleaner you can get at
AutoZone, don't need much water really, vacuum when fully dry. I like
to do it in the drveway on a sunny dry day (good luck here in NY on
that one).

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »

I did the rug in my Dakota using Dawn diswashing liquid and a nylon bristle brush to get the grease out of the passenger side and soda out from under the seat itself, then I took and laid it on a flat surface that was tipped at an angle and used a pressure washer to push everything off the carpet. Keep the washer back so as not to do damage on an older material, but I was able to get it looking pretty gosh darn good compared to what it started out as. I imagine a garden hose could be used just as well, and definitely let it dry before reinstalling, which goes without saying.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »

These don't have the fiber board backing do they?  If they do then you might need to think about a method that won't cause the boards to deteriorate.  I like to use a little hot water carpet cleaner I picked up many years ago, made by bissell.

This is what I bought....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
These don't have the fiber board backing do they?
No.  It's pure fabric.  Which is nice on one had because I don't have to deal with the problem you mentioned above, but on the other hand it means they're all creased and wrinkly from being balled up in the trunk of a junked NYer.  I don't know if simply cleaning them will get all the creases out.

Maybe after I clean them, I can steam the wrinkles out?  Like you do with a suit and one of those portable steam cleaners....?

Quote from: firedome
I like
to do it in the driveway on a sunny dry day (good luck here in NY on
that one).
Jeez....you got that right, Roger.  When was the last time we saw the sun?  Last week?

The other problem is, I don't have a "driveway" since I live in an apartment complex.  Maybe the other tenants won't mind walking on the grass to get around me as I scrub these bits clean on the walkways. 

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC