MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new shoes too thick?  (Read 2167 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »

I need new shoes on the back of my Dart.  (10" drums, 7.25" rear end)

Replaced the passenger side ones, and even with the adjuster turned all the way in, the drum would barely go on, and when I tried driving, I can feel a drag, and that wheel smells hot.

This is one of the new shoes, and one of the old.  Looks like the right part?

I cracked the bleeder, and pushed the top of the shoes in all the way, and like I said, the adjuster is all the way in.

Any thoughts?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »

Bonded or rivited shoes?? Raybestos or cheap shoes??
Are the shoes in their proper location?? Primary and secondary shoes go on a certian way.
Did you machine the drums yet?? If not,I recommend doing so based on the condition of the old shoe in the pic.
In some cases,when the drums are not turned,new shoes will heat up simply from "seating" into the drum.
Try scuffing the new shoes with some 80 grit sandpaper.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »

Sometimes they give you that feeling they are too thick. 

Try stepping on the brake once to center the shoes?  Drums on of course.
I assume the wheel cylinder is completely colapsed?
POLARACO2011-04-15 11:16:10
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »

Pawking brake--that will do it..Good Joisey thinkin'

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »

Didn't get the drums machined but they look pretty decent.  This was supposed to be a quick project since the weather was actually decent Thursday evening.

The parking brake is working properly, however it is entirely possible that the cable is adjusted a little too tight.  That's going to be the first thing I check when it stops raining.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

new shoes too thick?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »

Quote from: D Cluley
I need new shoes on the back of my Dart.  (10" drums, 7.25" rear end)

Replaced the passenger side ones, and even with the adjuster turned all the way in, the drum would barely go on, and when I tried driving, I can feel a drag, and that wheel smells hot.

This is one of the new shoes, and one of the old.  Looks like the right part?

I cracked the bleeder, and pushed the top of the shoes in all the way, and like I said, the adjuster is all the way in.

You can look at the shoes and tell they are not going to be sitting the way the last pair did, they are wider inside the drum.

Let me explain.

Take the shoes and sit them inside the drum and you will see they probably fit just fine. Now: look at the top of your picture. Using the new one as the reference, the curved end of the shoe (the top of the picture is the bottom of the brakes when installed), but in the picture on the very top where the bonded brake lining attaches to the shoe, if you go to the very end there, measure from that tip to the flat part all the hardware attaches to inside the shoe, and you will see there is about .200inch or more material in the new shoe compared to the old shoe. Right where that little knob sits at the 4o'clock position of the E-brake pin. Grind the flat between that point and the ouside edge of the shoe to get them to fit, so the adjuster will then spread them where they need to be.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »

I flipped this pic around so top and bottom are correct.  Is the indicated area what you are referring to?

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

new shoes too thick?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »

ABSOLUTIMUNDO.

You can see there is a difference in space allowed right below your arrow. If the left one is 3/4 inch, the right one is 1/2 and inch. Grind it down so the shoes will close in tighter and give you a little breathing room between the shoe and the drum.  They probably did it for worn drums, but not really a top of the line thing to do, but fixable.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »

Still gonna check the parking brake cable first, when the weather breaks.  It was actually snowing 20 min north of here tonight, sheesh!
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:56:40 AM »

I wonder how they expected you to install that in place of the correct one.. WTH!! 

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 06:17:24 AM »

I flipped this pic around so top and bottom are correct.  Is the indicated area what you are referring to?
[/QUOTE]
Well look at that.  Good eye Ed.  But they are younger

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »

Update -

I think it was the parking brake cable.  After getting that loose, the drum went on a little easier, and after driving about 15 miles the wheel was still cool to the touch and I didn't smell anything.
I still have to do the other side, so we'll see how that goes.

I put the old shoes, and the new ones into the drum to compare, and the new ones might be a tiny bit thicker were the adjuster goes but I'm not sure.  It may just be the angle in my picture that makes it look that way.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

new shoes too thick?
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:59:34 AM »

They are expecting a certain amount of wear over time, than adjusting for it. Problem is, if you use new drums or the drums aren't worn to max, the shoes are too big overall. Remember, when drums wear, the hole gets bigger, and if you put regular size shoes on a drum that has a bigger hole, the shoes wear different, more the center of the shoe than the ends, so you have to kind of deal with the issues the best you can. Given you decided the emergency brake was too tight, and they don't heat up or smoke the shoes, good to go, otherwise shaving a little off to get the adjuster to pull in farther is the answer. Different brands may have different results, by the way.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »

I guess the old man strikes again!  Damned Kids.  LOL

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
new shoes too thick?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:29:37 PM »

Well, it's only taken a month, but finally got this done.  The other side went together much better, and after replacing the cable adjuster, the parking brakes are set up again.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC