MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4-speed conversion Question  (Read 2804 times)

Steve

• View Profile
4-speed conversion Question
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »

I am just wondering how difficult it would be to find all the parts necessary to convert my '68 Sport Fury Conv. to a 4-speed. It's an original 440HP/727 TF car, so I'm guessing I would need an A833 trans and everything else (pedals, brackets, bellhousing, etc.). I just converted my Chevelle to a 4-speed and I'm thinking how cool it would be if I could do the same to my Sport Fury.

Thanks and if anyone here has done this, please let me know if this dream is too complicated to be realistic (not to mention cost effective).

All The Best,
Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »

If you have the cash I would suggest putting in a Keisler 5 speed instead of the A833.. Then you can run a steeper gear but still get mileage.

It will be tough to find the pedals but I bet they are out there.. check out Ebay and Craigs List.. Even Moparts.com and Moparchat.com might be a good source for parts

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Guests

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

Other than what was mentioned, there is the matter of the crank end being drilled for the input shaft bushing. Some cranks were not drilled, so it would have to be checked or removed to have drilled, which is not that big a deal, just a lot of work. On the other side of this, the Keisler 5spd conversion may have the add-on to the end of the crank bushing or roller bearing to simpify this job.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »

The 4 speed parts are rareer than hen's teeth.
Just to add to what was already mentioned,there is a difference in the pedals for power brake and manual brake cars to add insult to injury.
The factory Inland shifter was sloppy right from the factory and used ones are typically worn out or seiezed up.The Hurst shifter is an excellent upgrade,but again there are no C specific shifters on the market today--so you will have  to make one work.
The floor hump for the 4 speed is specific to the C and the repop B/E hump will not fit.
I agree the keisler is an expensive excellent upgrade,but the shifter location may be a bit off in a big C.
Whether you go factory or aftermarket,there are a lot of headaches doing the conversion.
More cons than pros,IMO. but you have to ask yourself it is worth the trouble?

Comparing your Chevelle conversion to the Fury is apples and oranges,my friend.

Your 440/727 SF vert is a beautiful rare beast to begin with,so why mess with it?

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »

I had all the parts needed for that conversion and recently sold them.

Read what Stan did on his formal.  It's the same thing.  But I suggest a cable setup.  After market bells are easy to find, it just the trans
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »

Anyone following, or see the article in the latest Mopar mag about Passon performance all new 5 speed (A-855).

Finally a no cutting 5 speed tranny for our old mopars.  But at approx
$4300 it ain't a cheap unit.  But it's completely manufactured in the
USA with all US built parts...so bravo to Jamie Passon for going the
extra mile to do things right.

Another alternative for a 5 speed....
thrashingcows2011-04-02 01:23:16
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »

Quote from: dana44
the matter of the crank end being drilled for the input shaft bushing. Some cranks were not drilled,

Yep.  Prior to '70 the cranks were transmission specific, so his '68 440 will need to have the crank drilled.  I learned this while trying to install a '68 383 into a Buddy's '70 4-speed Challenger.  He kept insisting I was not installing it correctly.  Sheesh!
It's green here in Chico!!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
the matter of the crank end being drilled for the input shaft bushing. Some cranks were not drilled,

I installed a 4 speed behind an original 1968 383 2bbl motor...crank was not drilled.  I just trimmed 3/8" off the end of the input shaft and it fit perfect.  Then I measured the crank and input shaft and proceeded to the local bearing company.  After a thorough search I found one that fit....this was before MP started offering one.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows

That's not really true Scott.  I yanked a 68 440 out of an auto that was drilled.  I was going to use it in Voab.   (RIP)
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

.....and this is the reason why I said, check the crank end to make sure the pilot bushing hole is there, and if not, get it drilled, or possible adapter kit to fix that problem.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »

Wow. I think this thread opened my eyes. Thanks to all for a splash of reality. I mentioned the Chevelle conversion to show some mechanical familiarity with the process. Thanks, CBarge, for the high compliment. I just thought shifting that Fury would bring the fum factor up a notch.

Thanks for showing me the light, guys!

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Guests

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »

Thing is, this is just such an uncommon body style with four speed transmission, but not that it can't be done, just a little more to make it correct

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: thrashingcows

That's not really true Scott.  I yanked a 68 440 out of an auto that was drilled.  I was going to use it in Voab.   (RIP)

I'd be willing to bet that 440 was not original to that car; or it was a freak (a manual-trans motor dropped into an auto car by accident at the factory).  I have a 440 in my Newport; didn't come from the factory with that motor.  Even if it did come with a 440, the one in my car is a '71. 
Snotty2011-04-04 00:56:02
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC