MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr. Sherman! I have a tech question about paint  (Read 984 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mr. Sherman! I have a tech question about paint
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »

I've got a real odd problem Chris

I'm using the Nason 2K single Stage Poly System.  I had several pieces laying in the garage I needed to paint so I sanded the primer and made them glass smooth with 220.  All they are is the front Valance, Hood Latch Brace, and the cowel louvers, which are not painted on the underside.

Anyway, I hung the parts in the garage on wire and heat the garage up to 75.  I mixed up a small batch of paint using the magic ruler,  opened the door and blew the color on the 4 pieces.  Then closed the door and directed the fan over the heater right on the pieces.  20 minutes or so,later, I went in and blew the final coat on.  I have to say, I raised an eyebrow when I saw the pieces.  It looked like the paint was flowing off.

And this morning, it did just that.  Much of the paint was on the FLOOR!  Huh?  It was still quite tacky too.  I ventilated the garage, thinking the air was saturated, but then I remembered  this uses a catalyst.  It's more heat than evaporation. . . .

I have no idea what the problem is. . . The only thing different was a new can of catalyst I just bought. 

I mixed up a batch today and added the fish eye.  It seemed to cover better, but sure wasn't setting up in any hurry.

Any ideas?

Thanks

POLARACO2011-02-13 21:44:08
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »

HMMM, 70 degrees is the magic number when it comes to catylized paint. All the paint manufactuers require 70 degrees or more for proper crosslinking of the molucules. Yeah, It's too technical for me too. If you had the ambient temp up to 75 in the garage that should be suffecient. Other than temperature the other possible causes can really only be over reducing or spraying too heavy but since you have been painting parts for this car for quite awhile with out this problem I'm stumped. Are you using the lowest temperature reducer? Hardener has a short shelf life  especially after it's been opened but You used a new can of hardener. Maybe check the date code to make sure the jobber didn't have it on the shelf too long?  Other than that I need to think about it.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »

Thanks.  I just ran out here and checked them. . . Still tacky.  Couldn't hurt, I threw some medium Lacquer thinner in the gun and dusted them.  I know it's a No No, but I'll have to strip these and start over.  Yup, I popped the top on this can last night.

Believe it or not, the paint started to set up now.

WEIRD!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »

Little update

I looked at the can for the catalyst, there is no date code.  I had to go scrounging through the garbage to make sure he sold me the right one, and it is.  483-15

Guess I'll call the jobber tomorrow.

POLARACO2011-02-13 22:22:51

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »

Two days later, it's finally dry.  When I dusted it with the lacquer thinner, that's when things started to roll.

You mentioned about it going on too heavy, and after replacing 6 tubes in the lights, I finally got to see what was wrong, well partly. . .

I used a mini gun, which I never used before.  I bought a set of those cheap guns and that one was handy, so I used it.  I put some thinner in it and looked at the spary pattern in the light.  Awful!  What a POS.  The full size pint guns are much better, so I will put a final coat on with one of those.  But not for a day or so yet.  Tomorow it's supposed to be 45 and no wind, so I'll be able to get the shop up to 80.  Too bad too.  It takes allot more to clean those.

Good thing these parts are not going to be readily seen .  Looks like it was poured on.  LOL

POLARACO2011-02-15 15:44:22

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:51:29 AM »

When I had my MG painted with catalyzed acrylic urethane it was sprayed
in winter at too low a temp, low 60s, and  down to low 50s maybe
overnight.  It hardened somewhat but was still able to be dented
slightly when pushing in with a fingenail a week later. It took several
weeks to fully cure hard, but it finally did, hard as a rock now. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:27 AM »

It was just too thick.  I have to let it set and put a coat on with a real gun
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC