MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for Pictures  (Read 1144 times)

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

I'm now finding out just what a screw job I got from the "reputable restoration shop" that had my car. I drove the car to their shop and got it back,a year later, as a basket case. Got no one to blame but myself. Should've kept a closer eye on what they were doing, and, of course, after screwing quite a few people, they filed for bankruptcy and vanished! Oh well, it was only money and I can get more off the money tree in the back yard!  OH NO! The tree's not blooming again this year!

I'm trying to get the dash, non-letter 64 300, put back together. I layed the instrument cluster in, the heater/AC panel and speaker grill. They all fit. What I can't figure out how to get in there is the left panel at the end of the dash, where the transmission buttons are. None of the screw holes match up with any of the holes in the dash. I'm also checking thru my "piles of parts" for the transmission housing  that goes behind the panel that the cables hook up to, and the buttons and parking lever. I think they may have "lost" that too! Is there anywhere I can find an exploded view of the dash? I've searched Google  images and come up blank!

Second question. Is there a spring that goes behind the horn ring?  I pulled the horn ring off and found just a round disk, with a single wire and a BIG wad of electrical tape wrapped around it.

I feel like a complete incompetent idiot trying to get this car back together!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

Was this Aloha Restoration?

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Was this Aloha Restoration?

No there were 2 places involved in my stupidity. I couldn't just be stupid at one place I needed to do it at 2! I'd like to get my hands on the EX-owners of those places and  (actually something far more violent would please me even more!)

The "restorer" was Old Coach Works Auto Restorations in Yorkville, Il. The "owner" left there and the company is being run by someone else. (Yeah, sure) The other place was E&R Racing, now E&R Racing Engines and Speed Tires in Villa park, Il. This place filed bankruptcy, the owner ran to who knows where, creditors are still trying to find him.

If you know anyone who lives in the area and they even mention one of these places tell them,[color=#ffff00 size=4] RUN, RUN, RUN AWAY. AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN![/color]
[color=#ffff00 size=4][/color][/b] 
Here's an example of the last thing they tried to stick me with. They sent out the seats for the car to be recovered by an "upolstery" (sp?) shop. I had already bought a complete interior from Legendary for the car and had it shipped to them. When I went in to get the car they told me I had to pay $500.00 for the upolstery job. I thought they'd done the whole interior. Nope all they'd done was the rear seat bottom. Yes just the bottom. I'm too polite to type what I told them. I just left with my car in a trailer!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »

Where did the rest of the interior go?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:56:40 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Where did the rest of the interior go?

I have the interior, or most of it! They lost the headliner. They damaged the metal seatbacks on both front buckets and the chrome trim that goes around them. Then they "tried" repairing the chrome trim and just did more damage. I can't believe how much the places I've gone to want to repair that trim! You'd think they were redoing it in platinum! They disassembled one of the front bucket seats, and I'm still looking for the pieces to put it back together. I took the rear seat seatback to another "restoration upholsterer" over in Plainfield, Il to see what kind of job they'd do and, if it was good and at a reasonable price, I'd let them finish the interior. Well, I got the seatback back and for $80.00 it looks like crap, and it'll have to be redone. I've learned a hard, and expensive, lesson. These restoration body shops, and speed shops here in the Chicago area are, for the most part, thieves and do crappy work. You've got to be extra careful dealing with these &%$^*#@!

I did find, finally, a mom & pop convertible top/upholstery repair place about 20 miles from here. Went in, talked to him and his wife, and when I mentioned the $500.00 rear bench seat seat bottom, I could see him laughing inside. Then with a typical easy going country drawl he tells me, "Hell I'd a done the whole interior for less!" "Hell I'd a let you do my interior if I'd a known you were here!" I saw some of his work, he specializes in Mopar, and it was very nice. The price is reasonable too. $80.00 to recover the one seat that's still assembled, $85.00 to reassemble, find needed parts and recover the torn apart seat.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »

I have a 67 Vert here with buckets. . .   I'm breaking it up.  Sold the 1/4's already.

They're pretty rough and not much salvageable, but you are welcome to the bits and pieces.  The trim on the backs is shot.

Are you working on a 64 300?  Some of the stuff will be the same.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »

Here's some pics of a 64 300 for you.  They are on the main site.  I might have more.

http://www.moparfins.com/Chrysler/64/1964_Chrysler_300/1964_Chrysler_300.htm

Poke around in there.  There's a New Yorker in that selection too

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »

I have a 67 Vert here with buckets. . .   I'm breaking it up.  Sold the 1/4's already.

They're pretty rough and not much salvageable, but you are welcome to the bits and pieces.  The trim on the backs is shot.

Yeah 64 non-letter 300. Thanks for the offer but most of the stuff that I'm trying to locate is dash and interior trim pieces. I found a salvage yard down in Tx that I got the heater/AC controls from and a couple other small pieces and there's our Moparfins member in Rapid City SD. That's got a few 300s in his yard too. There's a powder coater about 50 miles from me that can do the seatbacks. He has a textured powder coat that is very close to the stuff on those seatbacks. Just have to get the dents out first. The trim pieces around the seat? Hmm, well they'll just have to wait. I can drive the car with 2 less pieces of chrome on it! Found a place for all the nuts, bolts some special washers and trim clips just 10 miles down the road from me, Fastenal.

My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to put everything back togather! If I'd taken it apart I'd have an idea how to put it back. I'd have bagged and tagged all the little parts and their nuts, bolts, clips etc. and kept them together. Now all I have is a pile of "stuff" and virtually not a nut, bolt, screw or an idea how, or where, it goes together!  That's why I'm looking for some dash pictures. I just can't figure out how the far left dash piece goes in. I've figured out there's a piece of trim that's missing but there must be something else. Not one of the holes in the dash lines up with the holes in the piece and the controls for the push button shift that go behind the dash are gone too! Maybe something on that piece would make things line up!?

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »

Here's some pics of a 64 300 for you.  They are on the main site.  I might have more.

http://www.moparfins.com/Chrysler/64/1964_Chrysler_300/1964_Chrysler_300.htm

From those pictures I can see that I'm missing at least 2 trim pieces. I'm going in the basement now and search thru theboxes of "stuff" I have and see if I can find the buttons, parking lever and rest of the stuff that goes behind the dash!

firedome

• View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:08:28 AM »

Might be worth buying a complete parts car if you can find one cheap, look for a real rust bucket...they're out there!

firedome2010-04-17 09:09:00
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching for Pictures
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »

Glad they helped you.  I'll see if I have any more 64 Pics and get them up for you

Andy

Searching for Pictures
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:24:30 PM »

Glad they helped you.  I'll see if I have any more 64 Pics and get them up for you

Things are looking up! I went digging thru my "pile of parts" last night and found all the pieces for the pushbutton transmission. All I'm missing from there now is just the moldings for that end piece. WHEW!

Also found lots of other "stuff" I have no idea where it goes or what it is! Guess when I get to whatever part they fit in I'll be able to figure it out!

I'm off to Moore's web site and see if I can get that molding from him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC