MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH  (Read 21050 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

Folks, I am going to come clean. 
I am about to embark on the most insane endevour ever seen by, putting an A-833 4 speed into my 1976 New Yorker.
I've toyed with this since day 1 and kept saying that is the most stupid.....
Slowly I'm inching there.
Body: Got it up to 95% rust free.  Looks awesome at 20'.  I can live with that.
Interior: Gorgeous.  I just can't keep up with the dust.
Motor:  Killer 440 amateur rebuild.  HP/$ the best money I have ever spent.  Would curse & swear at another rebuild anyday over buying a crate motor. I can still keep on tweaking it when I get the urge.  Limitless.
Mechanically: 101% Absolutely down to the last dash bulb.
Suspension: For the 25 mi. a week I put on it, it's way more than adequate.  In a fantasy world, I would buy up the first set of new subframe bushings to come along at any price.
Glass: Excellent  + spare glass.
Rear: 3:55 gears woke that thing up .  And boy did I learn a lot.  That was priceless.
Transmission:  Flawlessing working original tranny.  In fact, I don't remember them being this good back then.  But it's now totally mismatched to the rest of the drivetrain.  Yes, I could swap in the perfect 727 but I can NOT come to reconcile my hatred for automatics.  The only thing from loving this car like no other is a lack of the 4 speed.

I'll be 61 soon.  I don't need to please anybody else but me, my wife, and my cats.

Stay tuned.

Commando12010-11-26 14:48:19

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »

Oh Oh

OK  Your timing is perfect.  I was just about to list a set of C Body pedals and I have a bell, clutch and flywheel.

It comes with the rod.  I think I have the bellcrank handy too

If the price is right, I even have an original 4 speed trans.

But before you jump into this, you better be sure the back of the crank is drilled out for a pilot bearing.  Being a truck engine, I assume so.

Just remember, I want money for this stuff.  I need it.

You better speak now.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

GO FOR IT!

But......consider this http://www.keislerauto.com/    ....I wanted to do this to my Imperial (using the extra factory console I have from my RR, paint it to match the blue leather, rip out the buddy seat and put in a real Pistol -Grip with woodgrain done to match the rosewood dash)

Then, if you don't want to clutch,  there's always this:    http://www.keislerauto.com/recent-news/the-all-new-road-a-track-6-speed.html

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 02:44:10 PM »

Thanks allot Bob

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »

1.  I specifically went with a steel crank knowing full well I would have kicked myself for not allowing for the posibility of a 4 spd in the future.  I are smart here...
2.  Finances are such that I have to collect parts over time as the budget allows.  Sell off your stuff, Steve.  I ain't a viable customer.
The amt of stuff I have to address is mind boggling.  Right down to replacing the front sofa with a pr. of buckets o allow for a floor shift.  The logistics to do it correctly is going to be time consuming.

Now, who has an excellent set of buckets in burgundy cloth..... Nobody. Se what I mean?

Guests

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »

OK, so, since you are a manual man (three out of five of mine are), make absolutely sure you have the cast iron cased A833, not the aluminum one, but you already know that one, right?

Don't worry about the 727 and being a big block tranny. If someone has a small block that needs new guts, theguts are identical, the bellhousing is the only difference, clear down to the seals, just yank and swap. There are a couple heavy duty parts in things like police/commercial and 6-pac/Hemi transmissions, but it is just a better part, not an irreplaceable part, and they swap, too.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »

Stan, why not have your seat modified like V16 Cadi-llacs did? Here's one we did. Shouldn't bee a big job to make a dent in your original cover/foam

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:05:37 AM »

Bob, it's actually a 50/50 w/dual arm rests.  I just looked at it again and thing a cupla buckets would be easier.  Good idea though. 

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 03:30:07 AM »

I think the whole boondoggle is a great idea myself!!  I'm also a
manny tranny kinda guy....  my '56 Packard and '70 MG are both
sticks, and the F3 would be awesome with a floor shift... hmmm.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:39 AM »

The right shifter Stan and you should not have a problem.  I've done them before

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »

The BIGGEST, by far (and almost doesn't make it worth it) will be welding in the
frame mount for the Z-bar.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »

Heh. . I have one of those too.  I cut it out of the other car

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »

what about a juice clutch? (Polaraco can't catch any breaks..*grumble*)

Guests

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »

How about one like on a PT Cruiser (or the other FWD cars), where the master cylinder is set up inside the body and appears to use a pivot point that teeter totters. The master cylinder is set up so the pedal pushes, pivots about a 6:1 ratio and top pushes the master cylinder plunger so it is backwards from what we normally use. Lots of room up there, about half the size of the brake master cylinder, fluid and overflow is outside in the engine bay and can be located anywhere you want to mount it in the engine bay. I imagine there are tons of cars out there that do this, bracketry wouldn't be that difficult, slave on the clutch is self-adjusting but no bleeder on it, so bleeding it initially is kind of fun (ask me how I know).

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
That's fine Bob, where would you like him to put the Power Brake booster?

He's putting a 4 speed in so he can drive it like a man, who needs power brakes. 

Stan,  honestly, it's not something I'd do to my car, but from what I've seen, if you do this, you will put in the effort to do it right, and that makes it cool.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC