MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn switch  (Read 788 times)

Alan

• View Profile
Horn switch
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:55:28 AM »

The horn ring is a bit floppy on my 67 Newp. The horn will blow going over bumps. I have replaced the horn switch but it made no difference. On other cars I have worked on there was a large round spring that helped keep the horn ring firm. Is there supposed to be one on the Newp? The FSM isn't clear. The picture they show is for a telescoping column which uses a spring, but there is no mention of one for the non telescoping column. Anyone know if there is supposed to be a spring?  67Newport2009-11-25 09:56:54
Al

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:14 AM »

Sounds like the little metal fingers yo screw through are messed up.  Try some washers
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »

No spring in the non tilt columns.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Alan

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »

Ok, back to my horn problem. I took a run down to NJ to visit my daughter for Thanksgiving so I've been away for a few days. I thought that replacing the horn switch was going to solve my problem, but it didn't. The horn will still blow going over bumps and takes very little pressure to activate it by hand. There doesn't seem to be adequate resistance from the internal spring plate in the horn switch and it isn't strong enough to support the weight of the horn ring. Everything under the cap seems tight so I'm not sure that adding washers is going to help, Steve. I suppose the new horn switch could have the same problem as the one I replaced. Any other suggestions? 67Newport2009-11-27 19:11:27
Al

Alan

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:07:29 AM »

I solved the problem.  Who knew that there are different horn switches.  The difference being the stifness of the 3 springs inside the switch. It seems that the larger heavier horn rings require stronger springs than the lighter  ones. My luck, the replacement I bought was the lighter version so it displayed the same problem as the broken one I had.  I drilled out the rivets in both and swapped the stiffer springs into the new switch and  VOILA!! my horn works correctly. 67Newport2009-12-16 15:08:15
Al

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:11:56 AM »

Are you tootin your own horn, now?

Alan

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:24:28 AM »

Yes, better than having it toot itself!

Al

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:39:14 AM »

Sounds good, but why didn't the old springs work in the old switch if they were strong? Was something else broken in there?

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Alan

• View Profile
Horn switch
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

The plastic ring sandwiched between the two contact plates and one of the three cups holding the springs had broken so the pressure that keeps the contacts apart was uneven. The contact plates were so close together on that side that they would touch with the slightest movement of the horn ring.
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC