MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gremlin / Newport Question Update  (Read 13095 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Gremlin / Newport Question Update
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »

Ok, things went very well today!  When Lloyd arrived he took one look at the radiator and suggested moving it to the grill-side of the side rails instead of the motor side.  I told him what I was planing on doing by getting a trational fan and extension shaft.  He said, "Hey, you've spent enough money already; use what you have and let's make it work."  Great words!  It took some cutting of the lower interior valance, but it mounted well.  When we replaced the normal fan studs with bolts it gave us a half-inch of clearance!  

Then, I worked to mount the seats - however, after dulling three bits I got one in.  That steel is TOUGH!

Jerry worked painting vatrious motor piecves and helping Lloyd with the radiator.

We got it all mounted when Lloyd disclosed that he and I share a common fear of electricity!  We called Chris "the Doctor" and asked if he could come over and play.

The end result was a wired fan and a 407 AMC running at 2 grand for a total of 20 minutes to set the cam!  It's cool boys, I must say!  The motor ran hot while it still had captive air, and I discovered an oil leak.  The leak turned out to be two bolts on the bottom of the pan that were too long.  I think I had intended to replace them but after three years I sort of forgot!

I'll post pictures, and Jerry will add new video through You TRube once I download today's shots.

More to come, but we are happy here!

Oh, need to replace the ignition switch and electrical - we're getting nothing from the key except 12 volt to start the car.  No signals, no electric gauges, no starter - have to use a remote.  We are not surprised as the car was in a field and the dash had been ripped out.  Something had to be wrong!

More soon.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 08:53:41 PM »

It's an AMC.  Wired by Lucus
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »

Here are the latrest video links.  Jerry posted 2 new ones.  Once you link to one tou can see all 5.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBkh3a2L9aY

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »

We got the electrical worked out!  Whoo-hoo! 

We replaced the ignition module, the broken signal light switch and cancelling cam, and the key tumbler.  Chris also discovered theat the rod to the switch was bent so he straigtened that out too. 

When Jerry put the steering column back in the ignition still did not work.  So Chris did some electrical tracing.  We found a "hot" wire for the starter that we missed.  So the starter now works with the key - yea!

Then, he traced the harness to see why the guages and signal lights didn't work.  It's amazing what two, good 20 amp fuses will do to a car!  I had checked them all; they looked OK, but two were bad after all.  Once the new fuses were put in all worked well except the signal lights.

That turned out to be a bad socket on the driver's side front signal light.  I put one of the original light sockets back in and all worked great.

So, everything works!  Hooray!  Then it was time to adjust the clutch and drive the car for the first time.  It's been 4 years!!!

Wrong clutch!!!

Did I bother to think that the company that sold me the wrong Pilot Bushing, Throw-out, and Clutch Alignment Tool might have also sold me the wrong clutch?  NNNNNNNNoooooooo!

I feel like an idiot!  We're pulling the transmission this Friday.

Stay tuned....

Snotty2010-03-23 15:43:22

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »

Sounds like you have similar luck to mine when it comes to clutches! Oh well, it will all be worth it soon! Then you will have to find a new project! Good luck with your Gremlin!
Polaraco made me do it

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

After speaking with Snotty, I feel it's the fork.  He went to a 8" bell from a 6", but used the 6" clutch fork

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »

I checked APD last night Setve, and they list a single fork for "All" applications, '71-'78.  Perhaps the other thought may be correct - I put the throwout in backwards.  I still say that's impossible but we'll see.

I'll keep you all informed.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »

Found the problem, and am glad to say I had installed everything correctly!

The clutch disk was being held in place by the bolts and washers from the Pressure Plate!  Yep, you read that right!  We went to get a new one thinking the plate we had was too small, but the new one was identical!  It would have locked down too.  So, we used header bolts instead and they worked.  The clutch locked and unlocked through the pedal.

However, the clutched slipped like an auto trans without any fluid!  We are thinking that we bent the ears by tightening the clutch rod down all the way and applying the pedal.  Something moved when we hit the pedal, but the clutch did not work. 

We are doing it again next Saturday with a new clutch and new throw-out.  The latter was making quite a bit of noise once the clutch ingaged.

On the good side of the news, the brakes, rear, and transmission all work well, and so does the steering.  It is quite light for manual.  In the past four years I have swapped the front drums for disks, rebuilt the entire front suspension and added a sway bar, changed the transmission from 3-speed to 4-speed, and installed a Mopar 8.75 A Body rear.  We also swapped the rear brakes and axles for fully new stuff.

That's why I was gladdened at the same time I was saddened by the clutch slipping.  I'll take 4 steps forward and one back!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »

Although not yet fixed we found the problem.

In a nutshell, here it is:  1968 AMC T-10 transmisison, AMC 401 (from '77 Jeep Wagoneer) with '71-newer bell housing.

There it is!

Those that know AMC will see the problem.  When AMC started using Mopar transmissions in '71 they switched the bolt pattern on their motors to match the Mopar pattern.  The bell for a T-10 after '71 is slightly shorter than the bell used up through '70, and called for a shorter throwout bearing.  However, sicne I am using a T-10 from '68 that shorter throwout won't fit over the bearing housing.  So, we got a TO for a '68 - it's too long and bottoms on the housing, thus not allowing the pressure plate to fully release.

We tried using a Chevy TO, but it was too short - so much the fork would not move because it hit the TO.

We ended last Saturday with the thought of lathing down the bearing shaft in order to use the shorter AMC TO.  But Chris did not like this idea, even though it was his. 

On Sunday he hit the internet and discovered....

...that AMC V-8s up through 1970 used a 10.5" clutch.  From '71 they used an 11" clutch - the one I have.  For Chris this was a "BINGO" moment!  I am now waiting on a '69, AMC specific 10.5" clutch to get here from Arizona.  It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

It all goes well we will have it in on Wednesday or Thursday evening, in time to take the car to its first show on Saturday.

I'll keep you informed....

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »

That is very good.  Now you make in and out with much fun.  Well, not as much fun as my sister, but is good anyway...

Commando12010-04-06 15:49:58

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »

Excellent to hear you figured out how to fix your issue! Cool project! If all goes well it sounds like you will be able to drive it this spring and summer.

One of my friends that I grew up with had a hopped up Gremlin. His step father helped him build it after his dad passed away. It was a built up 360 with a 3 speed manual, 8 3/4" dodge posi with traction bars. That little car was scary quick! I am sure yours will be even quicker with your modifyed 401 4 speed combination. What rear gears are you running in your machine? I checked out your videos a few days ago. I love the sound of a fresh hot rod engine!

Now I need an adrenaline fix...I think I am going to go for a rip in one of my rods now that it is spring!

Are you planing on taking it to a 1/4 mile track for testing? Good luck with your project!
Polaraco made me do it

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
That is very good.  Now you make in and out with much fun.  Well, not as much fun as my sister, but is good anyway...

You know this guy was the voice of the "King" in the Madagascar movies?  I thought it was Robin Williams. 

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »

Quote from: Rockwerx
Excellent to hear you figured out how to fix your issue! Cool project! If all goes well it sounds like you will be able to drive it this spring and summer.

Yes!  Hoping that we would be driving it this poast weekwedn I insured and registered it.  (Actually, changed the "non-op" status.)

Quote from: Rockwerx
One of my friends that I grew up with had a hopped up Gremlin. His step father helped him build it after his dad passed away. It was a built up 360 with a 3 speed manual, 8 3/4" dodge posi with traction bars. That little car was scary quick! I am sure yours will be even quicker with your modifyed 401 4 speed combination. What rear gears are you running in your machine? I checked out your videos a few days ago. I love the sound of a fresh hot rod engine!

I must admit, I've watched them many times myself!  There are a few more but Jerry has not posted them to You Tube.

We are using a Mopar 8.75 from an A Body; it has a 3.25 limited slip.  (Can't use that Chevy word that you used.)  The 401 is .030 over with 9.5:1 pistons, Isky cam, Eddy 750 cfm carb with Eddy Performer intake, and Hedman "Hedders" currently hooked up to a set of Purple Horneys.  The machine work was done by reynolds Machine of Bakwersfield, and was balanced.  Jerry and I did the assembly.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do want to take it to a Test and Tune at Famoso, but it was buitl to be Jerry's driver, that's why I put in the 3.23s.  However, I have an extra third member with an open 3.55 in it.  Jerry is going to have Big Chris build that case into a limited slip and install it - once he comes back from his summer working at Redwood Christian PArk.  That will be his dime!

We sure hope it all comes together this week.  We did drive it in my cul-du-sac, but witt the slipping clutch it was no "fun" at all!  We'll let you know, and hopefully have a new video!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »

Put the new, and correct '68-9 clutch kit in it and...

...same problem!  It still slips like it's a bad clutch!  We are dumbfounded. 

We learned this - two clutches, same problem - must not be the clutch.

More as we learn it.... 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

The flywheel is slipping. . . LOL

OK can you view the action of the clutch from the bottom?  I am not familiar with the AMC bells
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC