MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 pinging  (Read 5814 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 04:13:05 AM »

Quote from: owatajrkiam
Did you know there was an adjustment in the vacuum cannister where the vacuum hose from the carb port goes! If you remove the vacuum hose, you can insert a 3/32" allen wrench in there and turn it clockwise to lessen the vacuum and counterclockwise to increse it! This is one of the best,take you by you're hand and do it right instuction tutorial i have seen! Lot's of awesome info! http://www.sweptline.com/tech/engine2.html Good luck!

Excellent Glenn

That is true.  But not ALL advances have it. 

FYI  Aftermarket advances usually don't have that feature
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 06:55:53 AM »

Added octane boost....Lucas the best stuff money can buy 8.00/bottle still pings....retarded the timing just a couple lines....still pings....Now I'm thinking about getting rid of the points...going to electronic ignition...What do you guys think?

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

Points or solid state - makes no difference - has no effect on why it's pinging.  Maybe the distributer but not because it's points.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
Points or solid state - makes no difference - has no effect on why it's pinging.  Maybe the distributer but not because it's points.

The old man is right. 

It's either running too lean or the timing is still too far advanced.  The only other option is it's running way too hot.  But I think you'd know that.

Is it pinging real bad or just slightly?  Back the mixture screws out 1/2 a turn and see if that helps.  It will answer a few questions. .  .

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

The old man is right. 
Hey, you're no spring chicken either!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 03:51:31 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

The old man is right. 

It's either running too lean or the timing is still too far advanced.  The only other option is it's running way too hot.  But I think you'd know that.

Steve, Before I retarded the timing (not sure of the scale-2 fine lines from TDC is that -8 BTDC ?) the pinging was slight .....while going up grades at 50MPH....engine fully warm...I could here just faint pinging...I could get rid of it by giving it gas....Now after retarding to -8 BTDC...that slight ping going up grades is gone...but it pings bad when I give it gas....engine still fully warm....Now....I'm wondering if this is the issue. I'm still running Prestone Super engine flush...I'm at about 6 hours of run time....The bottle said 6-8 hours of run time then dump it and add the 50-50 antifreeze/water mix. The pinging in both cases is with engine at running temp. Maybe the pinging will subside with fresh coolant? All the pinging does occur after running engine 1/2 hour +++. I certainly can back off on the mixture screws but I didn't want to try too many things all at once...(I remember you said that a while back) Maybe I should do that next before changing anything else. Thanks guys...

Bob

furyfever2009-06-02 08:55:08
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 04:56:15 AM »

Only one variable at a time when running any experiment, strict science protocol. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »

Retarding the timing will cuase the engine to run warmer than normal.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

How about the thermostat I have in there? I'm not sure what temp it is. Should I get a new one...lowest temp they sell?...or what would happen if I had no thermostat? Just no heat right?? but it would run cooler....correct??

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »

No thermostat could make it run hotter.  The thermostat is used to keep the water in the Rad longer to get coolar. 

You can't go too cool.  `80 ought to be sufficient.  What is the condition of the radiator?  Is it all clogged up?  Might be time for a recore.

I know Polaraco runs nice and cool all the time.  In fact, it runs cold in the winter.  To the point where I freeze my can off.  It doean't reach full operating temps

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 04:23:50 AM »

Thanks Steve...When you said '80...Did you mean the 180 degree thermostat? If I remember right, I think my choices was a 180 or 195 thermostat...The guy at AutoZone says the 195 is standard equipment. What will make it run cooler...the 180 or the 195...? I know this may be a "duh" type question...but for some reason (especially after your explanation of how a thermostat makes the engine run cooler) I have it in my mind that it might be the higher temp. thermo. to make it run cooler?? No..Yes?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 07:06:13 AM »

The guy at Auto Zone is wrong.  The standard back then was 180.

Typo. . .Yes 180

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 07:18:01 AM »

Thanks Steve ol' buddy ol' pal. You are the Head Kahoona!...One last question...Since I'm removing the thermostat...is that a good way to flush the system? Remove it and keep flushing till it runs out clean...or should I just get one of the heater hose in-line T's with the cap on it. What would be more effective at getting the crap outa there? I don't like leaving the in-line T in there...looks hokey and I don't trust them either...Thanks

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »

If I may, let me jump in here.
First, buy some kind of cooling system cleaner.  The more caustic, the better. 
Remove your thermostat and reinstall the housing.
Drain the radiator. Close the petcock.
Disconnect heater hose return line and direct it away from the car.
Set heater to "high temp"
Run garden hose into radiator.
Start her up and run until water flushing out of heater hose is clean.

Snotty

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »

I don't recall - how is the condition of your radiator?  If it's plugged, flushing won't help.  Is it new; does it need a rod-out?  A bad radiator will defeat all of the flushing, new thermostats, time adjustment, and any attempt to stop pinging.
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC