MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 pinging  (Read 5885 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »

My 69 Fury has been pinging on regular 87 gas. I've run the expensive 93 in it and that seems to get rid of it...but I'd rather adjust the timing to get rid if it...Now...I know it's set to spec. at top dead center (0 - TDC) My question is: (I never can remember this)...To get rid of the pinging do I have to retard it or advance it? There was a simple way to remember this but I forgot that too   
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »

you would retard the timing to stop pinging
Tom
I would back off 1 degree at a time
They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

to power tune you would set timing using the highest octain and advance timing until it pinged at idle and back off if I remember correctly
Tom

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »

Thanks Tom...I'll try backing it off 1 degree at a time...never heard of the power tune procedure you mentioned...very interesting...I'll have to remember that too...I'll write it in my little book here so I don't forget...Forgetting seems to be quite common place lately...Thanks for helping me out...I appreciate it.

Bob 
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

I wish I could go up there and fine tune that car...
Retarding the timing is a band-aid,IMO.
Dropping the timing will decrease the engine's power and effeicency.
In layman's terms a real dog climbing hills,etc.
I have a few tricks,but first I need to ask a couple of questions.
Bob,do you have electronic ignition?
How much driving has  the car done and how long/short are the runs?
Do you have a good timing light that shows advance?
 Got a vacuum guage?
Are there limiters on the idle mixture screws?
Answer the ?? and I will explain why I asked them.
Now that you have a fresh timing chain in there,you can dial in that 'teen  run like a swiss watch..
Nevermind what the initial timing is supposed to be-first you need to find out what your total timing is at 2500-3000 RPM and adjust it from there.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:48:47 AM »

Quote from: CBarge
I wish I could go up there and fine tune that car...
Retarding the timing is a band-aid,IMO.
Dropping the timing will decrease the engine's power and effeicency.
In layman's terms a real dog climbing hills,etc.
I have a few tricks,but first I need to ask a couple of questions.
Bob,do you have electronic ignition? NO
How much driving has  the car done and how long/short are the runs? Had pinging before this timing cover fiasco...50 miles since fix.
Do you have a good timing light that shows advance? I have two...One is very basic the other has a few buttons on it...I'll check
 Got a vacuum guage? No
Are there limiters on the idle mixture screws? Not sure...I'd guess and say no 
Answer the ?? and I will explain why I asked them.
Now that you have a fresh timing chain in there,you can dial in that 'teen  run like a swiss watch..
Nevermind what the initial timing is supposed to be-first you need to find out what your total timing is at 2500-3000 RPM and adjust it from there.
[/QUOTE

I'm very pleased with the way it runs...Very smooth idle...the only thing I notice is on the the cheap gas....She pings going up slight grades when I'm cruising only...If I give her some gas quickly pinging goes away...Thanks Lea...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »

Try backing out on your mixture screws 1/2 a turn
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »

I've never liked de-tuning to get rid of pinging; it produces poor performance.  To this day I keep my car tuned where it's supposed to be.  I use Premium fuel and dump in a can of Octane Booster in the summer months as well.  Since this is not a daily driver the extra cost is not that bad.

I'd suggest biting the bullit and buy the better gas.
It's green here in Chico!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

I never run regular gas in my cars.Only if I have to when premium is not available--I will.  
87 octane has such a low flashpoint pre-ignition (ping) will occur.
Also today's gas has a higher concentration of corn swill added to the mix and E85 is on the increase.
Regular gas octane levels when your car was new was in the high nineties and premium was in the hundred's range.
Today,the highest octane available at your local pump would be 91 to 93 at best.
Up here in Canada Ultra 94 from Sunoco is available.That's what I run.
So,Bob if the car runs fine,put some good gas in it.
So what it icosts a little more.It is not your daily driver so enjoy the car for the few extra dollars more per tank..
All my 318's I ever owned I got better MPG,performance and no ping with the high test gaz.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »

Ok guys...That what I'll do...bite the bullet and buy the good stuff. That makes alot of sense. I have to admit...I'm always looking for a bargain...I'll just have to look elsewhere when I'm at the pumps. The car runs beautiful...so smooth...hardly can tell its running it's so quiet. Thanks guys...

Bob 

firedome

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 03:24:51 AM »

Ya, I'd buy the good stuff too... you're lucky Lea to still get Ultra
94... us old guys can remember when Sunoco Ultra was 101
OCTANE!!!  Those were the good ol' daaays!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »

The only reason I suggested retarding is when the motor was put back, the dizzy could have gotten nudged and advancing it too far. I would always start with the timing and go from there. Furyfever shame on you for not having a vac guage-I've had one for over 22 years.
Tom

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

Quote from: furyman67
The only reason I suggested retarding is when the motor was put back, the dizzy could have gotten nudged and advancing it too far. I would always start with the timing and go from there. Furyfever shame on you for not having a vac guage-I've had one for over 22 years.

You have nothing to explain Tom... You answered my question...I asked which way do I go...advance/retard...to get rid of the pinging...you said to retard the timing. I've never been much of a gearhead Tom...was a body man years ago...can do the minor mechanic stuff but have never gotten deep into the motor...hence the reason I don't have a vac. gauge and a lot of other specialty tools as well...Got a timing light!! wew hew!! 

furyfever2009-05-23 21:20:18

glen cyr

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »

Did you know there was an adjustment in the vacuum cannister where the vacuum hose from the carb port goes! If you remove the vacuum hose, you can insert a 3/32" allen wrench in there and turn it clockwise to lessen the vacuum and counterclockwise to increse it! This is one of the best,take you by you're hand and do it right instuction tutorial i have seen! Lot's of awesome info! http://www.sweptline.com/tech/engine2.html Good luck!

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 01:10:12 AM »

WOW!
Great reading.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC