MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting a warm 318...  (Read 2421 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
I'm still sticking by my advise for a new starter....
I certainly can't rule that out either Stan...Maybe the ol' starter is getting tired...when heat soaked maybe it's not putting out the RPM's as when its cold...Hmmm...My Chevy truck sort of had a problem like that...but worse...when heat soaked it put out ZERO RPM's Thanks Stan
furyfever2009-05-21 09:28:47
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 04:59:23 AM »

I'd lean towards Stan's theory at this point - I see it all the time on old outboards... 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »

I had a similar problem and it was the starter.  Not only did it turn slowly, and more-so when hot, it drew so much amperage that it drained the CPU of needed current.  Eventually the CPU burnt out and I was towed home.  Chris "The Doctor" measured the amps my starter was drawing and said, "Buy a new starter."

Yesterday it was close to 100* here; I drove my Newport to Visalia - and hour drive.  After stopping my carb did percolate, but it still started every time!  Before, it would crank to a slow stop - drained battery.

Get a starter!
It's green here in Chico!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
 Yesterday it was close to 100* here; I drove my Newport to Visalia - and hour drive.  After stopping my carb did percolate, but it still started every time!  Before, it would crank to a slow stop - drained battery.

Snotty...How did you know that: your carb did percolate? Is it something you can hear? smell?
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Snotty

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »

Quote from: furyfever

It's more of an assumption based on conditions, Bob.  After a "hot run" the car acts like it has no fuel in the carb - like when I stopped on my way home yesterday.  I got back in the car 20 minutes later and it had to turn over a significant number of times before it would fire.  But, that never happens in the winter, no matter how long I drive the car.

When Frances got home she knew I had driven the Newport.  When I asked her how, she said she smelled the gas.  That is a summer/hot phenominon.  It has no fuel smell in the winter.

When I try to start the car next it will need to turn over for a while.  But when I climbed in yesterday morning it fired instantly.  The previous time I had run it was just out to my street and back - not long enough to get warm, much less hot.  That was last Friday.  The difference has to be heat in the carb.

I have an aluminum Eddy intake with no heat pads under it, and have removed the heat-riser from the exhaust manifolds.  On a truly hot day - above 110* - after a long drive it will starve for fuel after starting.  I often "burp" the gas tank after such a drive before starting it again.  I attribuite all of these issues to boiled gas.

I could be wrong, but I've learned to accept it.  Putting the new starter on has removed the doubt I had developed that the car would start.  I know it will now; I did not have that confidence before.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 04:07:10 AM »

Originally posted by Snotty:
After a "hot run" the car acts like it has no fuel in the carb - like when I stopped on my way home yesterday.  I got back in the car 20 minutes later and it had to turn over a significant number of times before it would fire.  But, that never happens in the winter, no matter how long I drive the car.

This is exactly what I'm talking about Snotty...You are describing my 1970 Fury III exactly. My 1969 Fury III has never exhibited this "hot start - hard start" phenomenon though. Your Newport is a 1970 as well right? Did Ma Mopar cheapen something up in 1970?...or is it a coincidence?...
furyfever2009-05-22 09:09:23

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »

Replace the starter....

firedome

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »

No they didn't cheapen anything on the drivetrain as far as I know...
trim maybe, they are always trying to cut out nickels and dimes...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
Starting a warm 318...
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 09:10:45 AM »

Bob, I had the same hard-start problem in the '62 New Yorker as well.  I think it's a condition of the Big Block Chrysler.  Your's being a 318 must just be a coincidence.  I never had that problem with the 318/360s I have owned.  I pulled trailers in very hot summer conditions with a Fifth Avenue (318), a Cordoba (360), a B250 van (318 Magnum), and a RamCharger (360) and never expierenced the problem.

However, the RC was a pain to start and keep running in the snow!  Once it warmed up it was great, but my-oh-my, it chugged for ten minutes when cold!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC