MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas tank install  (Read 2684 times)

Andy

Gas tank install
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »

Going to install the gas tank this week, if the "Honey Do" list isn't to full! Is there something that goes between the tank and body and between the straps and the tank? Some sort of cushioning or insulation?

Well maybe not putting in the tank this week!   I see the sending unit has had some "modifications" done by the speed shop who butchered the frame of the car. It's got a huge, looks like 5/8 inch, fuel line coming out of it. Some place I can send this to get it repaired or buy a new one? Can you still find sending units or do I go salvage yard hunting and hope I get one that works!

POLARACO2009-03-23 16:18:18

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »

There's a rub pad that goes between the tank and the body.  I don't know if you can buy it after market or not.  Anything sturdy that won't fall apart and hold moisture will work.  It's the dimension of the top of the tank.

There is nothing between the straps and the tank.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Ken

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »

I think you can get something similar to what the factory put between the tank and the floor of the car at a home improvement store.  It is very similar to roofing material afaik.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »

New C body sending units are available.
 Manufactured by Spectra Premium part # FG148A
Do some shopping around.Some places like to charge big bux for it.Average is 149.95.
The piece between the tank and trunk floor is like thick heavy tar paper.
I hope you have new J bolts.Old ones are usually stretched out.
Repop B body J bolts are cheap,plentiful and will fit.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Brian

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »

Yup as Leaburn stated...I used the HEAVY felt for roofing as a pad before...think I doubled it up just for a little extra cushion.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »

Is the hole 1/2"? That could be the perfect size for a thirsty Hemi....may want to keep it...

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

he'll be fine with a 3/8.  Maybe use a high volume electric pump Bob.  Seems to me they factory hemi lines were 5/16

glen cyr

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »

Here's the pads,...cheap,too! http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Gas_Tank_Pads.htm and Rock Auto has the Spectra Premium pickups for $72.79 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »

That is the best price,Glen.E bay is showing 90.00 bux.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

summer scheifer

• View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

Quote from: tranch
Going to install the gas tank this week, if the "Honey Do" list isn't to full! Is there something that goes between the tank and body and between the straps and the tank? Some sort of cushioning or insulation?

Well maybe not putting in the tank this week!   I see the sending unit has had some "modifications" done by the speed shop who butchered the frame of the car. It's got a huge, looks like 5/8 inch, fuel line coming out of it. Some place I can send this to get it repaired or buy a new one? Can you still find sending units or do I go salvage yard hunting and hope I get one that works!

well ive been thinking to install my gas tank too. thanks for the thread i get some ideas. :)

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try

Guests

Gas tank install
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »

Basically it is tar paper that isolates the tank from the trunk floor to keep the two from vibrating or rusting together. Undercoating would work, but then the tank would be stuck to the floor of the trunk, so don't do that.  Just don't use the tarpaper that has the rock on one side, but any 15lb paper or heavier will work just fine.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »

Under coating with a layer of Wax Paper will cure the sticking problem.  Or you can undercoat and cover it with aluminum foil.  Actually better

Guests

Gas tank install
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »

True, but undercoating can be messy, heavy tarpaper is easier to handle. As far as undercoating goes, I'm kind of liking that truck bedliner stuff. A whole lot better than the tar-based stuff in a can you spray on, and a whole lot easier to clean up afterwards.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gas tank install
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

The only thing I don't like about the bed liner is the cost and it gets too hard

Guests

Gas tank install
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

Well, you don't have to use it all at once and I think you can get it in quarts, real good about sticking to metal, and although it gets hard, it is a flexible hard, so it really lasts a long time and prevents rust really well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC