MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground wires  (Read 1156 times)

Andy

Ground wires
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:29:15 PM »

I'm trying to put together my 64 300 and I am TOTALLY IGNORANT about wiring. I've got a Painless Kit I'm using but one question, no several questions, I have is grounding the system. I know I need a ground wire from the starter to...? Then another ground from the engine to...? and another from...? to ...? Then what gauge wire should I be using?
My battery has been moved to the trunk. What gauge cable do I need to run the pos. and neg. cables back there?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

Quote from: tranch
I'm trying to put together my 64 300 and I am TOTALLY IGNORANT about wiring. I've got a Painless Kit I'm using but one question, no several questions, I have is grounding the system. I know I need a ground wire from the starter to...? Then another ground from the engine to...? and another from...? to ...? Then what gauge wire should I be using?

Well first of all, lets start off with a hearty [color=#66ff00 size=5]WELCOME![/color]
[color=#66ff00 size=5][/color] 
That looks like a pretty sweet project.  Is that a 63 or 64 Chrysler?      64 I missed it.

Just so you know, 62 to 68 wiring was pretty much all the same.

OK  Lets talk about grounding.  I'll try not to insult your intelligence.  You are in the right place, and I am, well some say, I am the resident electrical guru.

OK  Grounds.  As you know your car is negative ground.  That means all the power is run through the wiring and almost all th metal parts on the car are the ground.  At no time is a wire to be attached directly to ground unless you are sure it is a ground.  A ground wire would typically run from a device to the chassis and the + wire would go in the other side of the device.  So be careful.  Always have short circuit protection (Fuses/Circuit Breakers/fusible links) in anything you power.  We wouldn't want flames on the pretty Spiniker white paint job.   Make sure all your connections are free of paint as it may insulate your connections.

Grounding

Starter.  A ground wire for the starter is not required.  It is grounded to the block which is grounded directly to the battery.  So let's start there and I will make it simple for you

1.  Battery Ground.  You want a heavy wire to go from the negative (-) directly to the block.  Choose a 3/8 bolt, like an intake bolt, to clamp too.  Make sure there is no paint under it so it makes good contact.  Most battery cables have a #10 wire spur on them.  This is to be connected directly to a body bolt.  Again, make sure there is no paint under it on the bolt head.  You may have to extend the spur with another piece of wire to reach a good body ground.

Engine Ground.  It is strongly suggested you run a second ground from the engine to the fire wall or some place to the frame.  I understand you may want to hide it, so you can be creative.  This does two things.  Since the alternator depends on the engine for a ground, it will look for the first place the engine has one.  The more resistance you have to ground, the lower your output will be and it may be nosy.  Noisy meaning electrical noise you can't physically see.  So you need to double ground the engine.  1 to the battery and one to the body and or frame.  Two is even better. I have seen as many as 3 extra ground straps.

So we covered the engine grounds.  You are done.

Most devices, like relays are automatically grounded when you mount them.  Gauges are typically looking for a wire ground, which will go to the dash frame.  So it is important that these devices be grounded to the chassis or they won't work.

I have more

POLARACO2009-03-21 01:11:37
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

Here's a few tips you can look at.

http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/Electrical/Auto_basic_wiring_tips.htm

http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/Electrical/Bulk_Head_Connectors.htm

I wrote these last year.  The second one is a good deminstartion of poor contacts and over loading.  Since I am unfamiliar with the Painless, I can't help you much with the power side.

Between myself and a half of dozen other guys here, we'll try to get you some wiring diagrams which will help you further. 

And by the way, the big + wire goes to the big stud on the starter.  make sure it's not touching the little stud.

Always connect and disconnect your ground FIRST!  Sure saves on the wrenches when you touch the + to ground by accident then. . .

Boys!  Help him out.  I'm sure I confused him enough already.

Enough with Grounding 101 tonight.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »

Glad to see you made it over here Andy!
Like I said, it's one big happy family here....except the white sheep is the odd one out!

Wild car ya got there! 64 300 2 door is different enough, but slam a 426 Hemi in that and
Great job!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Andy

Ground wires
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »

Polaraco, you're the best! It's the best description I've gotten since I started "thinking" about rewiring the 300. The first thing I think I'm gonna need is more printer paper, a hole punch and a notebook to keep all this info so I know where to look! Oh and the part about insulting my intelligence! I HAVE NONE when it comes to ANYTHING electric! Everything I know about electricity you can write on a pin head!  LOL!

Andy

Ground wires
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »

Glad I came here. MUCH friendlier people here and VERY willing to help.

Well that Hemi is...ah let me splain! I've had the car about 12 years now. It was in very good shape when I got it and I drove it quite a bit for about 5 or 6 years. It started to loook a bit rough around the edges so I consulted with the "Financial Expert," the wife, and said I'd like to restore it back to original. OK, she said go ahead. She liked the car too so it wasn't all that hard to convince her. I was a sane and reasonable individual in the early stages of the restoration, then some friends, evil friends, mentioned that word...HEMI...all sanity left me and I began speaking in tongues! Days, months and 2 years passed before I awoke from the...HEMI... trance and saw what I had done! New custom built front clip with power rack and pinion steering, independent suspension and disc brakes. The HEMI! Dana 60 rear gears with 3.55 ratio and disc brakes. The entire interior and wiring taken out! That was just the big stuff! OUCH! Now the "financial expert" has me on a VERY short leash and I've been working on the car a little at a time. LOL!

I'm hoping to get the car wired and the engine started this summer. That Hemi has been sitting in the car for 3 years now and hasen't even been started! I'm hoping that when it fires up that "Trance" doesn't come back! I think if it does someone may be removing some precious body part (s) to bring me back from the edge!   

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »

It's too bad you're so far away from here.  I'd give you a hand on the wiring.

Where were you that Stitcherboob knows you?  The dark side? (dock)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

Welcome aboard, Tranch. 
I like your style.  You want to gowhere no sane person has gone before.  You're in good company here.
The idea of a Hemi '64 Chrysler boggles my mind.  I love it!!!!  I, foe one, would probably like to see it on the road as much (if not more) as much as you.
As far as suffering wives, I understand 150%.  Yah, we're lucky guys.
I guess there is no better example of "there's no dumb question" than in this case.
Let's rock.

firedome

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »

"where no sane person has gone before. You're in good company here" ...
you got that right Stanley... and that Hemi '64 is Righteous!!! 
Good on ya!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Andy

Ground wires
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
It's too bad you're so far away from here.  I'd give you a hand on the wiring.

I had just joined C-Body Dry Dock and asked a question about trying to repair my rear package shelf and someone there told me to contact him. Sent him an email, he answered my question and he invited me to join Moparfins.

You are the FIRST person in 3 years that has actually offered to help me. I was looking for a club on another Mopar board, saying I needed help with the wiring, and some moron comes back and tells me it sounds like I'm looking for "Free Labor!" I guess  in his Mirriam Webster Edition is defined as "free Labor!" LOL! I didn't go back there again!

Sometimes I feel like an outcast! If it's not an A, B or E body they look down their nose at you around here. It's one of the reasons I want to get this car done. We have a large Cruise night here 5 times during the summer, 500 - 600 cars. Mostly Chebbies and Ferds, but some Mopars. I want to park my 300 right in the middle of their A, B and E body cars and see who gets the most looks! LMAO!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

I'm like the "Burmese Tiger Trap of the Drydock".....someone contacts me for something (upholstery usually) via email and they are snared! They fall into the hole of The MoparFins, trapped but happier in their new diggs!

send my check to my new address Steve......

stitcherbob2009-03-21 20:08:21
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

I would Bob, but you're 2 months late on your dues to stay on this board.

That's what we like to do the most.  Help people.

Very rarely do we have a squabble and the rules say, you can't $itch slap anyone.    

It feels good when you get the right answers and a complete explanation without sarcasam. 

Unless you're Stitcher Bob.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »

Unless you're Stitcher Bob.

[/QUOTE]

most mopar sites

me

me and Steve
stitcherbob2009-03-22 01:57:49

Snotty

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »

Quote from: tranch
I'm trying to put together my 64 300 and I am TOTALLY IGNORANT about wiring.

Don't feel bad at all!  What you said is the exact reason why our Gremilin is not yet running!

I do not like electral stuff!!!

You motor and car look great!
It's green here in Chico!!

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Ground wires
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »

Stumbled across this post. I was about to ask, but this answered my question! I'm chasing little green electrical gremlins in the Savoy. Apparently, the brand new battery ground cable is a cheapo POS. I'll go buy a better one that actually grounds! Oh, and anudder for da body (or one with a pigtail that does both). Probably a good idea to remove a little paint while I'm at it 

Rob
'74 Plymouth Voyager PB300
'67 Plymouth Valiant 100 4dr
'64 Chrysler 300

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC