MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil pressure drop when making a hard stop  (Read 642 times)

Mark

• View Profile
oil pressure drop when making a hard stop
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »

My buddy (yes I have one, so don't go there Steve...)  has a 2002 Ram with the 360. He has 74k miles on it and has always used Mobil-1 oil. He tells me last night when he and his wife came over to see the baby, that if he makes a hard stop, his oil pressure guage drops to ZERO and the "check guages light" lights on the dash. After about a 1-1/2 seconds, it comes back up to norlam. It is full of oil and does not do it under old-lady type of braking. I am thinking the oil pump is getting weak, and/or the shaft that drives it is rounding off on the end......  Y'all's thoughts please...... 
Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Rob Roche

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »

Oil pickup tube getting uncovered when all the oil sloshes to the front of the pan? Has the pan been smacked/bent/hit something recently to push the pick up "up"?

A weak pump would have low pressure all the time I would think.
Rob
'74 Plymouth Voyager PB300
'67 Plymouth Valiant 100 4dr
'64 Chrysler 300

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:43:39 AM »

Yep  Oil Starvation

Try running it a 1/2 quart high and see what happens.  You can run them a quart high and not have a bad effect on anything.

I'm alittle surprised at that.  That motor drains pretty well unless it's really sludged up.  But I don't think Mobil One will do that.

This is usually a big block thing
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:46:14 AM »

The pan is not dented/smashed or bent and the truck has never been wrecked. We both make the same drive to work everyday. It happens mostly at the bottom of a slight hill where we stop to turn left onto the main drag where our building is located. My 97  360 had 127k on it and never had this problem. He only has 74k on his 2002 and this just started a few weeks ago. It does not do it while turning if we don't stop...only on a harder than normal (spelled correctly this time) straight stop.  My wife's 02 D'ango also has the 360 and no problems with hers. He is using the same type/weight oil he has always used and changes it every 3500 miles. I don't see where all of a sudden, the oil would just slosh away from the pick-up tube.  The inside of the valve covers are spotless, so I do not believe there is a sludge issue either.
Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »

If the pick up loosened up it would only turn about 1/4 turn and stop on th epan.  It's possible.  If that were the case, the face of the pickup would be cocked out of the oil laying in the sump.  The forward motion opens it up.

I am assuming the oil pressude reads normal on that gauge?  Try the extra quart in it and see if that stops it.  If it does, we know where to look.

Do you have more than one friend?          Go down to Bobs and look at that 91 Junk he just got.  Last seen, it was still on my trailer.  It was free. . . . .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC