MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I suspected most of this . . Buying a new car!  (Read 1801 times)

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
I suspected most of this . . Buying a new car!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »

So true!

I think where a lot of people go wrong is they start to look at the "mystical" sales manager as being a "power" whom they somehow need to please. I think in many ways the dealer structure is similar to a high school with teachers, department heads and the dreaded all powerful principle. The average customer who maybe is willing to confront the salesman,  starts to get nervous and more willing to compromise when the sales manager or worse the dreaded general manager gets involved. Sales managers and general managers cultivate a power image designed to intimidate and most achieve this image very well.

Potential customers must simply remember they hold all the cards and they must retain control over the deal. Of course potential customers must do their homework and  draw a price line that is doable.  I think many people pick a number out of the air and when the dealer laughs at it, they get intimidated and begin to allow the dealer to take control of the deal.

The best advice I can give,  if you start to feel you are beginning to lose control, you probably are and should get the heck out of there before you get taken to the cleaners.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
We all have stealership stories that make your sphyncter tighten up.
Here's (one of) mine:

Buying a new car for my wife.
Said I would pay X dollars.  After negotiations failed, went home.
Salesman called, said OK to my last offer.
Went back.  Did all the paper work.  When it came to sign, price was much higher.  Walked out.
Went to Dealer B.  Told him that a certain car was at Dealer A.  Would pay X dollars.  He got car from Dealer A.  I paid X dollars.
Drove new car to Dealer A.  Got Sales Manager.  Showed him car and said $%#@ YOU!

Never thought of that one. . .

Bill you just said "Sales manager we have to please".  On the contrary.  A very common phrase I use is, I'M THE CUSTOMER!"  That lazy assed, cocky SOB has to please me
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »

Love that shuffle between dealers, great tactic!

I think North Americans have become brain washed by price tags. Everyone should spend some time Richardering in the third world to quickly realize your wallet is king and  without  that wallet all these sellers go broke.  Granted you can't Richarder with a big chain, but go into a  mom and pop store and you enter a completely different world.   As long as both sides are happy with the deal you can get some great prices.

When I was in retail, I used to look forward to the customers that wanted to Richarder, not only did the customer always leave happy, he always came back and usually sent his friends.  It was a great game and was a lot of fun for both sides.

Just remember, the dealer sales manager has to move cars and will do almost anything to convince you to buy one.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

I remember a long time ago. . .I think it was on the Johnny Carson show. . .  They had a car salesman on there who apparently worked in a big car store who had all the makers.  He was supposed to have sold the most cars in the country

He did things like climb on a desk and all sorts of antics in his pitch he demonstrated. 

If he did that to me, I'd be ==============  out of the parking lot screaming "Save Me form the mad man!"   It was pretty funny though. 

Not one mention about the sales manager. . .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC