MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I suspected most of this . . Buying a new car!  (Read 1847 times)

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
I suspected most of this . . Buying a new car!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
What is this "trading in" that you speak of? 

I buy what I want to keep forever.....I still have my first new car .....

Amen!  Why is it that virtually the only thing people acquire while planning an early  "trade in" are vehicles?  Nobody trades in appliances, furniture, jewelry, clothes or even recreational toys, so why cars? Worse, most if not all of these products depreciate exponentially with the greatest loss in the first few years, so why do people trade them in as soon as they have just taken the biggest value hit? 

The automotive industry has done an excellent job convincing almost a whole generation that it's unacceptable to drive a car older than 3 or 4 years even though most people are aware most cars will run relatively problem free for 10 years or more.

Granted, commercial purchasers such as rental companies and sales people are more or less forced into "new" because of customer expectations,  but why does the average Joe play the game?

BTW, why don't I buy cars that are 3 years old?  I don't want to buy something that may very well have been abused by the first owner and  I also have to admit I enjoy being the "first" owner. But then again, I also enjoy being the only owner. 
Fury4402008-04-19 02:20:36
Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 02:25:25 AM »

What's crazy is buying something on time for $30-50K and watch it be
worth 5000 bucks in 7 years... I can buy a rental house for less than
that down and have the tenants pay off the balance. AND I keep all the
garages for my own use, or rent 'em out separate... The scumball
advertising gurus have convinced the average Joe that they're losers if
they aren't driving a shiny new car, (or $200 sneakers, or a 80" plasma
TV, or other consumer junk ad infinitum) so most people now have to
have this garbage to feel good about themselves. We're no longer a
nation of citizens, we're just a nation of consuming sheep, where it's
actually considered patriotic to go out and buy stuff. The typical putz
who doesn't know diddley about cars and doesn't feel comfortable buying
"someone elses problems"  -  a phrase coined by some
marketing genius no doubt - OK, for them maybe the expenditure is worth
avoiding some aggravation, albeit it at an exorbitant cost, but for
anyone with knowledege of cars it's pretty easy to  separate the
lemons from the plums, especially if you know what cars to buy. I'd bet
I've had less downtime and spent less on repairs over 18 yrs  with
my '86 Volvo than someone who's stuck with payments on the average
piece of tinny junk coming out of the showrooms these days.  As P
T Barnum once said: "There's a sucker born every minute".

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 05:37:53 AM »

Go!  Roger  GO!

I just don't like phoneys.  And that's what they are.  The're not really salespeople.  They're pushy order takers

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 06:03:41 AM »

Well, they sure don't care about the customers, that's for certain... if I had a business and could expense a new vehicle, then it might be worth it, but not if I'm paying!
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »

all true.....if you drive off the lot after purchasing a new car, go around the block and then go back into the dealer and ask him what's the car worth, he'll say "15% less than what you paid for it".......you do pay extra for the fun and reliability of a new car, because you need at least one good decent driver to go get parts for yer old used junkers........also to drive to the bank to make yer car payments....

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »

you save a lot of $$ if you can find a 2-3 year old creampuff with 10k miles on it........still get 10 years out of it without the price of a newbie

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »

just do like Hurst.....stroll into the Junk-Bucket dealer and state, "I'll take that Escalade, here's the cash...got the keys?.......see ya"..........

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »

hey, who defaulted "Junk-Bucket" for "Junk-Bucket"?........let me guess

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »

Quote from: hurst1
hey, who defaulted "Junk-Bucket" for "Junk-Bucket"?........let me guess
I use the term "Top of the line GM product".
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »

I could make it "Land Fill" if you want. 

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »

Call it what you want!     My '83 Coupe DeVille has been a stalwart soldier...  "JUNK" or otherwise.... 

He started after a loooong hibernation and never leaked a drop of his bodily fluids! 

I belong to the ten year club!  I had my '66 NYer fer over ten years, my '68 Polara for nearly ten-years, and this "JUNK" DeVille for ten-years.  I like to get my investment back.  My BEST cars were C's, but this ratty-looking JUNK Coupe DeVille has got them tied!

Mom used to HATE my Polara in her driveway back in the day, heh heh hehh.....  My NYer was margionally better in her opinion...  I traded my first "JUNK" for this "JUNK" in 1998 and I've had several "JUNKS" since.  Mom and Dad sorta like thier new Exploder, but it's NO "JUNK"!  If I were to buy another old Chrysler it would probably serve me just like the last ones did.  My candle is lit fer that... 

Regardless of the vintage, our old cars are worth thier wieght.  The older technology has proven itself to be reliable and true!  In good tune they aren't any worse on fuel than a modern SUV or truck!  I cannot afford a new Ford or Buick but I know that what I have will drive anywhyere! 

That's worth MUCH more than a car payment in my eyes!

God Bless and rant OFF!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

I couldn't even put in the word d-cker, for haggling with the price, cause he put "Richard" in as a default........Cheese and Rice !

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 06:18:19 PM »

After reading this looooooooong article I know I have been a victim of the first place that the writer worked for with the "four square" sheet and such.
It will probably be a good 6 to 8 years before I buy a car again and I have NEVER had a NEW car in my 44 years on this planet,and I don't know if I ever will.
My Dad was 58 when he bought his first brand new car ever off the showroom floor no less!!! It would be the last car he ever owned. (78 Cordoba) 

I know that everybody has to make a profit but they shouldn't make it by lying and swindeling "adverage joes" The last car we bought (the Sebring) I don't think we did too bad on. I stuck to my guns and got a pretty good deal (I think) Who knows but next time I'll be more informed and even a bigger "grinder" to the sales people!!!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 05:37:00 AM »

That's #1.  Stick to your guns.  #2 is stay on topic.  If you ask the car salesman a question and he (a.) changes the subject, (b.) give you an evasive answer, then you force him to answer the question.  This is a way of taking control.  #3  Don't let him have control of the conversation.

I pulled a routine one time with a friend of mine in a high pressure Toyota dealership.  He's pretty spineless, when most people don't scare or intiminate me.  I went and negotiated for him. When we got to this running back and forth to the manager routine, I would wander the showroom and sit in a different car seemingly interested.  This tactic scares the hell out of a salesman.  Because he thinks  he has to start all over again.  Also stand your ground.  Argue with him if need be.  I intiminate them more because they relaize I know they are trying to flim flam me.  Get your answers.  Ask the same question several times in different ways to see if he's being honest with you.

And the managers. . . When they come out of their card game in the back room to meet you, it's the same drill.  Appear to be a moron with a big stick.  If he gives you a deal. tell him No and No and No.  He'll eventually ask you what you want, which you need to be prepared for.  The biggest ego breaker for them is getting up and leaving.

Oh yeah. . .Never give them an accurate phone number unless you want too.

Don't go in without doing your homework on whar you want to buy.  Dealers work on 5 to 6%, + they get volume incentives back from the factory.  5% of 40K is quite a bit of money

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »

We all have stealership stories that make your sphyncter tighten up.
Here's (one of) mine:

Buying a new car for my wife.
Said I would pay X dollars.  After negotiations failed, went home.
Salesman called, said OK to my last offer.
Went back.  Did all the paper work.  When it came to sign, price was much higher.  Walked out.
Went to Dealer B.  Told him that a certain car was at Dealer A.  Would pay X dollars.  He got car from Dealer A.  I paid X dollars.
Drove new car to Dealer A.  Got Sales Manager.  Showed him car and said $%#@ YOU!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC