MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn not blowing problem '63 New Yorker  (Read 705 times)

Paul

• View Profile
Horn not blowing problem '63 New Yorker
« on: April 07, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »

I can't get the horn to work on my 1963 Chrysler New Yorker.  I have checked the horn relay, horns, wiring etc., and all is well, with one exception.  The steering shaft has lost its ground, and since the horn relay seeks a ground, and there is none, the horn will not blow.  I have found a place in the mast jacket that I can slip a wire in and touch the steering shaft with a piece of grounded copper wire, and the horn will blow properly.  I have checked the 1963 Chrysler Service Manual, and it doesn't give an solution for this problem.  I have also looked at the mast jacket from one end to the other looking for a broken ground strap.  There is no indication that there ever was a ground strap to the steering column.  I pulled the steering wheel, and checked the contacts at that end, and there are no issues at the top of the column.  Anyone have any suggestions as what to do next?  I already have about 20 hours into this one project trying everything that I know, only to come up empty handed.  HELP............. Junk.....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »

There's a slip ring in the column under the steering wheel.  They usually get cruded up with grease and gunk over time. Also make sure the connection is in tact from that point down.  The horn switchs were not the greatest either

POLARACO2008-04-07 21:01:38
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »

The slip ring that you mention, is it the one that contacts the bottom of the steering wheel?  I have checked this one, and it is OK.  It is the column shaft that has lost its ground.  I have searched the Internet sites, and no one else has had this problem that hasn't been able to find a broke wire to resolve it.  My problem is that I can't find any broken wires, nor can I find out how Chrysler grounded the steering shaft. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »

There's a ground wire on the 62.  Let me see if I can find my manual. . .But I think it's with the car
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »

Sounds like the earlier cars are different, but I'll throw this out just in case it leads to anything useful.

On the '65 the steering column has a coupling in the middle.  The shafts seem to be splined at the ends, and pressed into a sort of t-fitting that is bolted to a rubber "hockey puck"

there is aparently enough surface rust, that the current doesn't get past the shaft/t-fitting joint like it's supposed to.

So, basically, is there anywhere that looks like metal to metal, but isn't really grounding like it's supposed to?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC