MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Familiar Mopar CLUNK in the suspension  (Read 945 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Familiar Mopar CLUNK in the suspension
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »

Here's an odd one maybe you guys have an answer for.

What started this quest on the rear springs was a clunk.  It was loud and heavy but definitely on the right side.  Initially I thought it was a bad shock, then a spring.  It was hard to pinpoint exactly where it was.  It sounded like it was in the rear, which made me look at th rear springs.  I thought they were the problem given the way they were puckered and appeared to be broken, but apparently not.  After replacing them with the above, the clunk was greatly reduced.

Last night we were chatting about it on the chat box.  Everything we talked about was everything I already looked at, including the body bushings, which I really could use new ones of.

This morning I looked at the car sitting at the curb and thought about how much the pitch had changed with the new springs.  It dawned on me that maybe the rake being returned to the car may have put more pressure on the front T Bars.  So I measured them and found the Right Front to be too low.  So I raised the RF T Bar back up.  Drove the car, and it's all but gone now.

I have no idea why this simple thing caused the noise.  The only thing I can think of is there isn't enough grease in the socket on the cross member and it's binding. 

Any other ideas?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »

Wee Bee

What do you think about the grease?  I was pretty cheap on it when I installed the bars. .  .

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »

Too cheap. Goop 'er up when you replace the control arm.Bleh.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

EUREKA

Changed the lower control arm yesterday.  Got rid of that Moog bushing which is junk.  I used bushings from justsuspension this time.  Twice the price, but not squashed out when you put the car down like the Moog did.

At the same time, I eliminated that clunk I was complaining about.  My suspicions were correct.  I didn't use enough grease in the cross member socket.

The left bushing didn't look too bad, but you can feel the difference in the car on bumps between the right and left sides.

Oh yeah, Brian/Rob.  I had the same problem when I rebuilt my control arm.  The sleeve stayed in the arm.  All I did was split the sleeve with a chisel, and it came right out.  On the shaft, I ground the sleeve down to almost the shaft and it split apart with a couple of whacks of a hammer.  I cheated though.  I used an air chisel

POLARACO2008-04-11 20:29:43
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC