MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower control arm bushings.....  (Read 1385 times)

Brian

• View Profile
Lower control arm bushings.....
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

These things are thankless. My friend works in a railroad machine shop and he pressed mine out at work for me.  There was a Mopar Action reader that posted a trick but I can't recall it.
Rob
'68 New Yorker 4 dr. HT polar white
'68 Newport Custom 4 dr. HT frost green metallic
'68 300 2 dr. HT Turbine Bronze Metallic
'70 Fury convertible GT clone

Guests

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

Check Mopar Actions site under tech articles

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive.html

Not sure it's there. 

I've been there before two.  Had to split them on both sides to get them out.  Usually they come out with the proper tool.  They should be pulled out.  Not pushed.  I am about to do one tomorrow too.  MMMMMMM

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »

This is from my clunk post

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »

Well I updated my members project thread with this but I'll copy it here in case someone  needs it.

Well I have been working a bit on getting the spare front suspension apart and ready for blasting.

Have learned a few things while I've been at it so I thought I would share.

First is the upper control arms.  The bushings can be removed quite easily without any fancy tools.  The outer washer on the bushings, the large end, is just pressed into the center shaft, so if you clamp the big end into a vice and then twist it will POP off. 

With this off you can now use fire, (love to play with fire..), to heat up the center shaft and then slide it out.  Now pry out the rubber bushing and all you have to do is pound the outer shells inwards and then out.  I used my buddies plazma cutter on three of them before I discovered this.

So next was the lower control arm bushings.  I had my shop press out the center shaft, then I used my dremel and a small cutoff blade to cut mostly through the shell surrounding the center shaft.  Cut almost all the way through but not quite, then use a cold chisel to bang down the center of the cut and it cracks and popped off. 

The real fun was the outer shell in the lower control arm.  I tried the, "weld on a thick washer and pound out the shell"  but my little wire feed wouldn't get enough penatration on the metal so it kept comming off after a few hits.  The I decided to try and cold chisel my way though, well this worked to about half way down the shell then I couldn't get the chisle to grab any more material.  So next I tried heating up the shell to glowing red and trying to pry/bend the shell inwards...nope didn't work either.

So I returned to the old dremel tool.  I used some grinding stones to start with but after only a minute or two the stone would explode, I went through three stones before I figured out what was happening.  The stones were not made for grinding heavy metal so they were generating too much heat and then exploding.  So my solution was to grind for about 10 seconds, then stop the dremel and dip the stone into water, then wait a few seconds, start the dremel and grind for another 10 seconds.....I did this until I ground almost all the way through the outter shell.  Then I used a old crappy flat screwdriver and pounded under the shell and it cracked down the middle., then all I had to do was bend both ends inward and the shell slid out....

So after all this I cleaned everything in my new(old) parts washer and discovered that my idea of running a fuel filter to replace the origianl bag style filter was only good for about 10 minutes....So I switched to the original bag filter and it lasted about 15 miutes before clogging up.  Then I decide to run the washer with no filter...Much better!!!

So all my parts are now clean and ready for blasting....then I can paint and reassemble the new front end.  Hope to have it ready to bolt in by the end of April.  But the new Exhaust comes first. 

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »

Steve.....How did you go about pressing in the new bushings??  Would like to know for when I get the shop to do it so they don't wreck my new bushings.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:18:04 AM »

Press the bushing into the control arm first.  Then put a socket on the other side. I think it was a 5/8 impact I used.  Flat side on the bushing.  This holds the center bushing in place.  Then press in the shaft.  If you don't hold the center bushing with the scoket, you could push the center out of the bushing.  And as you know, it isn't fun taking them out

Takes no time to put these together. .  . It's the dis-assembly!  Even taking the arms out of the car is harder than putting in the new ones.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »

Sweet...Thanks!!!
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

Well I did it exacly as you said today Steve and it worked perfect!!!

Now the Upper and lower control arms are done!!!
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »

Yer lucky.  If I hadn't just done one, I may have forgotten already    

Good for you.  I love it when a plan comes together

I have one more to do on Plaraco with these new bushings.  Man, they are so much superior over the Moogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC