MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Key Question  (Read 597 times)

Paul

• View Profile
Key Question
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

I only have one key for my car, and it isn't an original.  How does the ignition lock cylinder remove from the ignition switch?  Is there a key number on the ignition lock cylinder?  What about the door lock cylinders?  thanks Junk

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Key Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »

What year and model,Junk?

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Key Question
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

Paul

A mopar key Blank is a Mopar Key Blank back then.  The Ignition and door blanks are the same.  Trunk usually fits the glove box and trunk.  You can get them on the internet all the time.

I know what you want to do, get it all keyed the same.  It's easier to match the door locks to the keys than the ignition to the doors.  Take the two door tumblers out and take them to either a locksmith or the dealer parts department.  Both of them should have the tumblers in a kit.

I suggest the locksmith though. . . They will most likely take the time to clean and lube the lock so they feel like new.

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Paul

• View Profile
Key Question
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 05:58:28 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
What year and model,Junk?

This is a 1963 Chrysler New Yorker.  I did find a "Forward Look" key under the seat today, so I will assume that it is an original.  I still would like to get a set of keys that are punched by the numbers so I know that they will be an exact fit.  Having the lock cylinders professionally cleaned and keyed might be a good idea, since none of the door locks work very smoothly.  That will be added to my list of things that need to be done.  thanks Junk..

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Key Question
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »

Look on ebay for original uncut keys....they show up every now and then. Just don't take them to a hardware store clerk to cut! The Locksmith is the only way to go.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC