MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 440 BB, now what to do??  (Read 1412 times)

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »

Hello all, just heard about this site from Chris (azblackhemi) today, so I thought I would drop in.
azblackhemi is kind enough to sell me a 440 and 727 out of a 73 barge.  My question is simple.  I want to build this engine into a really strong and fast runner that is streetable and uses a reasonable octane fuel.
Some of my thoughts include fuel injection, perhaps forced induction.  I would love to get a real life plan to build this motor up and install in my 68 Newport.  Does anyone have a parts list or plan that has been used successfully in the past?  I love how the car looks, but am a fan of how new cars drive (tight, powerful, smooth).
Thanks for any help and advice.  A budget for your recommendation would be hepful too.  The motor hasn't been rebuilt, has a cast crank internally balanced.  Not looking to bore out to any huge displacement.
Thanks!
Jason
1968 Chrysler Newport Convertible, 2002 Chevy Silverado Duramax 423RWHP, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham LT1, 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 Diesel

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »

Well First of all. . . [color=#ffff00 size=7]Welcome[/color]

Fuel injection will definitely wake it up.  I hear the Edelbrock kit is pretty good.  If you really want to go wild, you can buy a stroker kit and make it a 480 or 520 Cube motor and throw the injection on top of that!

I'm not expert in the stroking department, but I'm pretty good with the EFI stuff.

So you bought a motor and trans from Chris Huh? That 65 300 in his lot is mine.  I'm waiting for it to get moved.  Make sure you got all 8 pistons. . .     
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:30:16 AM »

Well, first off......if it's a 73 & cast crank( which it most likely is )  it's not internally balanced,   it's externally balanced.    Look at the damper on the front.  If it says " for cast crank only" &about 2" wide it's an external balance.  Probably have to pull the Pulley to see it.

Cast cranks are good to about 550 HP level.   Low comp & a Centrifugal blower under the hood with the right cam & you're at about that.  Centrifugal kits from  say,  The Supercharger Store ( they do Mopar setups ) will run most likely about 3500.00 or more by the time all is said & done.

The Edelbrock EFI kitis a nice Turn-key setup but I don't think it can support much more than about 450HP if I remember right.,

You need to tell us your budget!

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »

Thanks for the help!

If supercharging, does it make sense to go EFI?

What kind of power can I make without forced induction and keeping the engine at 440 ci?

I don't want to spend more than 5K on the buildup.  I will take my time doing it also.
1968 Chrysler Newport Convertible, 2002 Chevy Silverado Duramax 423RWHP, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham LT1, 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 Diesel

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:58 AM »

I guess what Butch was saying is Kinda the direction I was headed.  He's actually better at that stuff than I am.  He's had more customization opportunities than I.  And he's younger, so he remembers more.  I'm a nuts and bolts guy.  You give me a pile of custom parts, and I make them work.  In lotsa cases better than the average Joe.

POLARACO2008-04-03 17:24:14
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I would think that with the right parts, and normally aspirated, 500-600 HP would be easily attainable.  What those parts are, I am not too sure about.

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »

Yes it is.....Heads & cam selection are the most important things in making horsepower.  

But here's the question......do you want a fairly docile combo you can drive anywhere or something more radical?      Maybe just a nice lope t it so you know somethings there?

If so the easiest way to accomplish that is a Stroker.    The 500" kits from 440 source are under 2K balanced & their stealth heads 899.00 a pair.  top that with good Hydraulic cam & Eddy intake & carb to match &you easily get 500 usable Hp.     The other thing is the Torque will be way up there too & that's what moves a heavy car anyway.

That kinda setup will make it all under 5K rpm so the engine will last forever too.

A correctly built 440 to take Boost with a Blower & an EFI setup that'll really work will wind up more in the 8-10K range depending on what system you use. 

Although the Eddy site shows their 440 mule with their EFI,  Aluminum heads & one of their cam Kits made 490 hp.     I just don't like the specs on their cams.    Supposedly their EFI on a RB is good for 550 hp & it was 450 on a SB. 

Many different ways to go.

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

fury fan

• View Profile
440 BB, now what to do??
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »

Others have beat me to the punch on ideas.  I think a stroker is best for a well-mannered engine in a large car.  I would give a turbo the 2nd choice, only because of the extra expense and the fabrication involved.  Turbo has it beat for pizazz and wow factor, though!

As for the Eddy EFI, some folks aren't real 'happy' with it.  Their hardware (rails and intakes) help a bunch, though.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4056225&Main=4027728

As for me, I'm no expert.  My turbo setup and my EFI system are still in the non-completed stages....
65 300L (former California car, solid but needs cosmetics)
65 Sport Fury project (orig 4spd car)
68 Fury III 2dr (440 transplant)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC