MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor  (Read 555 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »

Have been having some MPG woes with Polaraco.  I thought it was doing good, but I have been tracking it more lately.  I have been using the car more daily lately so I remember what I fill it at.  Instead of filling it every few weeks, I am filling it daily now.  So I discovered a very disterbing problem.

The MPG has fallen way off.  I am doing between 10 and 12 MPG mixed driving.  Car runs great, but the O2 sensor is reading all over the planet, mostly on the rich side.

Yesterday I tried to see if I could find a 12V signal at the plug for the O2 heater.  But found none.  That same 12 Volt signal is spliced to other sensors and devices which are working normally.  This O2 sensor is heated

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a trick to checking the 12V signal at the O2 Sensor plug.  I know it's the green and Orange wire.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »

Hey Stevo!!  With all of the viewing and responces, I nominate this as

QUESTION OF THE YEAR!!!

HA HA HA HA!  

Your Friend and Brother, Snotty
It's green here in Chico!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

OK...  Here's where I feel bad since I haven't any parts books in front of me these days.  Lemme test my memory.

I don't think you're supposed to find 12-volts at an O2 sensor.  They kinda-sorta act as a battery, sending exhaust mix readings to a vehicles computer, telling it to lighten or enrichen the AF mixture.  This is the reason only a diagnostic scan will detect a faulty one, as it gets no (or a weak) reading.

Isn't Polaraco OBD-II?
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »

Polaraco is ODP1. 

After going over the manual, the 12 Volts are only there when the engine is running.  It has to have the crank and cam sensor seeing a signal for the ECM to send the heater 12VDC.  The heater is to help the system get out of open loop faster, being more efficient on closed loop.

fury fan

• View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »

Thsi might be a great question for the Megasquirt forums, there are a lot of folks there that know OEM systems like backs of hands.
65 300L (former California car, solid but needs cosmetics)
65 Sport Fury project (orig 4spd car)
68 Fury III 2dr (440 transplant)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

I was there already. . .  Got nowhere.  Reason:  I am thinking stock, not performance.  When you say MPG to those people, they ask what it is.  Actually, that is the case in most forums.

Scott Preston

• View Profile
Polaraco vs, O2 Sensor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »

Steve,your O2 sensor,is it a 2-3-4 wire sensor?Do your O2 sensor reading range from .100-.900 and go from one end to the other fast or slow? Does the reading stay in one position for any amount of time?What type of scanner are you using to moniter the system,OTC,Snap-on,other,Mrmopartech
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC