MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you test a brake booster???  (Read 5321 times)

Paul

• View Profile
How do you test a brake booster???
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

In the first picture, you can see the middle of the brake cylinder, where the water lay at the bottom of the brake line inlet, causing rust and deep pitting. Surprisingly, the rest of the cylinder had no rust or pitting, and was a candidate for rebuilding. Where the pitting was located, is outside of the area that the brake cylinder cups travel, so it will cause no harm. In the rest of the pictures, you can see the "grime" that covered the brake cylinder internal parts. The spring with its cup expanders are in the middle of the cylinder, and a rubber cup goes at each end. Then the metal pistons go into each end of the cylinder, with the flat surface contacting the face of the rubber cups. Then the end boots (not shown) are installed on the cylinder ends, completing the wheel cylinder assembly.

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »

Did my last posts kill this thread?  I feel like I was reading a book, and someone stole the last chapter out of it.. What was the final resolve of the brake problem?  Did you repair this yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it.

As a caution to everyone else, I purchased replacement wheel cylinders at a National auto parts store to rebuild my braking system.  Much to my disgust, today, I found that one of the new cylinders is already leaking, and the car is still in the garage..  The cylinder was manufactured in China, so I have ordered all new cylinders from another National brand store, that I know carries quality parts.  I just hope that what they will be supplying me with is an American made product.  I am totally fed up with all the crap that is coming from China that is marginal at best.  I have to depend on the brakes to stop the car, and I will not compromise my safety. 
I also have a brake booster question..... is there a spacer that goes between the master cylinder and the brake booster on a Midland Ross 10 screw brake booster.  The problem that I have encountered is that the screw stop in the back of the master cylinder  that keeps the piston from pushing out, hits the plastic breather filter plate on the brake booster.  You can see a small dot on the white plastic in the picture, where this screw is hitting.  If there is a spacer, might someone have a spare that they would be willing to part with?  Thanks Junk.....
Junk2008-07-15 21:37:17

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »

That's good stuff Paul.  Thanks!

Yeah, we've talked about those chinese wheel cylinders before.  Bummer.  I've had to re-replace a few things on Polaraco because of poor quality too.  In particular Moog bushings.

Not to worry about killing the thread.  It's summer time and vacation season.  Most people are out working on their cars or flippen a few.  Can't blame them.  Every site is slow right now.  If you noticed, even your Spam Email is low.

Glad to hear from you again

Steve
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »

It may be slow because it is summertime, but this car is scheduled to make its debut at the Professional Car Society International Meet that is being held in Joisey the first week of August.  I can take it there without a radio, wheel covers, etc, but it is very hard to drive it there without brakes.  I need to find the answer to the spacer question, and a spacer ASAP.  Without brakes, I can't drive it around town to check out its reliability.  After all, it is a Chrysler!!!!!!   Seems that what ever can go wrong with a car is going wrong with this car.  I have replaced everything in the braking system, except for the backing plates and drums.  They were durable enough to last through the incompetence of the last rebuild. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 04:27:57 AM »

Where in Jersey?  Maybe the Mob can meet up with you.

No I was talking about the site attendance being slow. 

I can appreciate you want your car done for that.  Kinda annoying when you have to do the same job twice.  Especially when you are working a deadline.

I'm going to Bear Mt. Next week for a cruise in and picture shots of Polaraco next to Savvy Savoy.  That will be Wednesday Night.  Are you near there?  It's about an hour 1/2 from me

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »

I ordered replacement wheel cylinders from NAPA, because someone told me that NAPA had the right wheel cylinders.  They arrived today, and they were the same Chineese junk as what I had gotten at Advance Auto.  The only difference was that at NAPA, they were $36 and at Advance, they were  under $20.  So much for NAPA selling quality parts.  I guess that they think that a high price will give the appearance of quality, when in reality, it isn't quality at all, in my opinion.  I am continueing my search tomorrow with some of the Chrysler vendors on line. 
I am not certain where Bear Mountain is, but if it is in upstate New York, I am not close to it.  I will post more details of the NJ meet when I have more time.  thanks Junk...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »

Call my buddy Ray at 973-366-1991 or 1994.  Danons Auto Parts.  He's in Dover, NJ.
His name is Ray Danon (Like Dannon Yogert)  When He identifies himself, tell him he is a "Cocka Roacha"  and Steve H sent you.  (That's the pass word)

Tell him what you want, he'll get them for you, usually in a day.  Then tell him to get them to me and I will UPS them to you.

Specify you want US Made.  He'll know.  I think those are the only ones he sells.  If I remember, he charged me $30.00 each.

When you are done with that, PM me your address so I can get them to you.

The man is 74 years old and a dynamo.  Real nice guy, been in the business for over 40 years.  I told him he cant retire until I get my 67 and 65 done.

Steve

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2008, 06:22:55 AM »

I found a pair of NOS brake cylinders on eBay for $65 and $10 shipping.  They were in MA, so I should have them tomorrow by USPS.  Thanks for the information about your friend.  I will keep this in mind if I run into other problems in the future. 
If anyone needs a booster rebuilt, I can tell  you that Booster Dewey ( http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/ ) is a very honest guy.  He told me exactly how to check my booster and to only send it for repair if I can confirm that it is bad.  Suggested making sure that all the rest of the system if working properly before condemning the booster..  Cost for rebuilding is aproximately $125 plus return shipping, depending on conditiion of old booster. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »

NOS as original 1963?  better rebuild them then.  You'll have the same fate.

Ray said baout 30 Bucks each, brand new.  Rayobestes  That's all I use.  He has a few of different styles in stock.  I warmed him up for you

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
NOS as original 1963?  better rebuild them then.  You'll have the same fate.

A local auto parts store ordered in a pair of Raybestos, and when I checked the cylinder in the box, they were the same made in China junk as everyone else was selling. 

I will disassemble and clean, install new rubber cups, reassemble with brake assembly lube, and install them.  Using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, and I shouldn't have any issues ever again.  I did find a place that will  resleeve the old cylinders with brass inserts today.  Very imformative website.... http://www.brakecylinder.com/index.htm  I will be sending them my master cylinder to have it redone. 

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »

The correct one is on the right, and the one that they installed is on the left...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC