MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you test a brake booster???  (Read 4855 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
How do you test a brake booster???
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

Back on topic.....
This next tip applies to all model of Mopars with the the style of booster we are all familiar with (not the bellows type of the '50's  early 60's)
Check the valve at the booster that the vacuum line goes into.
Sometimes dirt or condensation can cause it to malfunction.
Also with an improperly running engine that backfires,it can blow out the check valve-or damage it innards.
Result? (This happened to me)
Major vacuum leak,engine runs like a bag of hammers and no power assist.  I had to pick up the pieces and glue them together,wrap a rubber band around it,jam it back into the booster to get home.
CBarge2008-03-30 22:20:21
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »

Whats the answer Steve!?!?!?!?!?!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 07:54:20 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
How can you test a brake booster in the field with minimum tools?

Standard I.Q testing has proven futile.....

Remember suck....don't blow......

OK, 3rd times the charm....

Vacuum can be applied to a unit in the field with either the car's own
engine running, or with a MightyVac hand operated pump attached to an
old vacuum reservoir cannister pirated from a luxury car or make one
from a unused gallon paint can with a soldered nipple and a check valve
(available from pet stores for aquarium pumps) on top.

Test for vacuum leak in the released position: Apply vacuum to the unit through the check valve and then stop. Apply the brake pedal several times. Each application should provide less and less pedal travel following normal depletion of reserve vacuum. The number of applications on reserve vacuum assist will depend on how hard the pedal is pressed and how far the pedal moves. If the unit has no assist, it leaks.

Test for unit operation: After depleting the reserve vacuum, place light foot pressure on the pedal and start the engine (or apply vacuum to the booster again). If the booster is working properly the pedal will fall away slightly.

Test for vacuum leak in the holding position: After applying vacuum to the unit, hold a moderately heavy load on the pedal. After 1 minute, release and apply the pedal several times. If there is no assist during this test when there was normal operation in the first test, then there is an air leak within the unit. Some units will leak air internally if the pedal load is light. This is normal.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 02:04:54 AM »

Is it possible for a booster to be weak?  The one in the convertible does not appear to have any leaks, it does apply boost, but it takes more pressure than any other car I've dealt with (not the over-boosted mopar brakes, I keep hearing about)
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 05:45:29 AM »

Dan, when you put on the dual master cylinder you didn't change the booster did you?
I wonder if that is why. My car stops with very little foot pressure.
ardog2008-04-01 10:46:02

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

I replaced the booster at some point (don't remember if it was before or after the MC switch) but from what I can tell all the drum brake cars 65-68 used the same one.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
How can you test a brake booster in the field with minimum tools?

I would ask it simple yes/no or true/false questions, they're not too bright ya know....
Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
If it is the 5TH thats having trouble--I am not surprised.
I had to replace my booster in the Dippy.
Boosters are a common problem on M bodies.
My symptoms were rough idle-almost stalling when applying the brake.
When applying light pressure you can hear a hiss,and releasing the pedal it may pppfft.
Apply some liquid soap/water to the shaft/bellows under the dash and see if it bubbles with the engine running and applying/releasing the pedal.This is where it will most likely leak.

After reading this a couple of times, I'm confused, considering any leak will be a vacuum leak, why would liquid soap/water application bubble? Wouldn't it just suck up the soap?

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 04:04:30 AM »

Well I'm glad this thread was started.   

As you may have seen in my other post when I had the car running the other day I pressed on the break pedal and pretty sure I heard a pop and then the pedal went right to the floor.   I pumped it a few times with no resistance and right to the floor each time.

It has been suggested I may have blown the booster membrane.  If so how much of a project is this going to be and is the mebrane an item I can get from the auto store.  Also I have tools but no specality ones.

My other reason for thinking this is I have no break fluid leaking under the car or around any of the wheels.

I figure this thread will also help in the event I'm wandering in a field too. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 04:57:38 AM »

I dunno who told you a bad booster causes that. . .

That's a ruptured hydraulic line, or a bad master itself.  Look to see if the master is still full.  If it is, the master is bad.  If it's empty, look for the puddles under the car.  That's a single master so it's not too difficult to diagnose.

How far are you from Clearwater?  I have a Mopar guy down there who can fixer up for ya.  If you go to his place, you can see my 62 300H
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 05:35:41 AM »

I'll check they cylinder tonight.  Looks pretty simple.  Take off a screw remove cap and look.
Clearwater is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Ft. Myers. 
I'd love to see the 300H.  I'm hoping once I get her road ready to find shows and start going. 

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

Now I'm able to get pics on here watch out.  Here's the master and booster for your review.

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

Again I ask you, How does one check a power brake booster in the field with minimum tools??????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

see now this thread is interesting. cuz i've got soem problems with mine. now should i be able to place my foot to the floor??? and my brakes are VERY touchy. and i've got quite the vacume leak i can't find.

176K miles 10/22

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »

POLAR-ARCO, that was me, thinking Chrysler300 has more than 1 problem in his brakesystem.

Chrysler300,
fyi, that looks like a KelseyHayes booster-unit.

Foamy,
Normally, a brakebooster-membrane failure will not cause your pedal to go down to the floor. It will only cause a hard to operate brakepedal, kinda like any other car with non-power assisted brakes.
This is only the case when you have a mastercylinder-failure, or brake-cylinder or brakeline fitting failure somewhere, where you loose pressure.

'Touchy brakes' can caused by drumbrake-lining with sharp leading edges, which immediatly want to grab the drum when they are applied.
Try grinding a 45 degree angle on the brakelining and see if the problem is solved.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC