MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: California to require smog on pre-76 cars  (Read 2604 times)

Corey

• View Profile
California to require smog on pre-76 cars
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »

Steve I'm still in Lamar I lived in the springs before I moved down here. But i still go to the Springs for Dr. Appts.

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »

Boys, it's not about the Smog; its all about revenue!  They could care less whether our cars are "clean," they want the money back they lost when Smog Check II became the law and exepmted 1976 and older cars.

Yes, the whole thing SUCKS!!! 

If this law were to be passed, my Newport will not be able to be registered because it has a non-factory motor in it.  y car left the factory with a 383 and now has a 440 - BZZZZZ!  Fail!!

Not to mention the formerly 6 cylinder Gremlin that now has a 401 in it - DO NOT PASS GO AND GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!!!!

Youre right Steve (Fogel), this pisses me off! 

If this passes your '69 will be illegal. 

What a load of crap!!! 

Now I'm sick again!!!
It's green here in Chico!!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 05:10:51 AM »

Vermont is VERY car friendly (we have a camp there) ... NO emssion
inspection, NO inspection of any kind for classic cars, NO titles for
any car over 10 yrs old...and fees are LOW compared to NY, PA, MD,
Taxachusetts, and probably Joisey too. Not to mention great scenic
driving when it's not snowing... Lots of car clubs have their meets
there...I'm thinking of registering all our cars in VT  using our
summer address - my uncle  here in NY, who also has a place there,
has done it for years...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 06:59:57 PM »

yes and local folly-tician Dean Florez is pushing it.......the lisping grifter from Shafter (also known as the lisping grafter from Shifter).......I'd like to pull a hole shot on Ahnold Streudelmaker's flat skull if that steroid freak passes that bill...........

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:58 PM »

my 69 will be illegal?......heck 2/3 of the cars in my garage will be illegal !.......I'll have to have a fire sale and put a pinball machine and a bar in my new garage......d'oh !

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »

Quote from: hurst1
my 69 will be illegal?......heck 2/3 of the cars in my garage will be illegal !

No, just the '69 'cause it didn't leave the factory with a six-pac.  Your '68 and '70 are factory stock, and the '58 pre-dates the original '66 - up Smog requirements.  The law they want to bring back is the "Factory Correct Smog Check II" standards.  It's crap!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »

I knew Snotty would blow a gasket on this one !

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

Saw this gem in today's Calgary newspaper:

...................................................................................
Manitoba to ban polluting old cars
NDP premier keen on Kyoto
MARY AGNES WELCH
TWINNIPEG FREE PRESS

WINNIPEG he Manitoba government will crack down on leaky attics, pig poop and turn off the key on old beaters to meet its climate change targets and, if that fails, Premier Gary Doer says he expects his government will get punted from office.

Doer unveiled long-awaited legislation Friday that obliges his province to meet its Kyoto targets — a reduction in greenhouse gases equivalent to taking every passenger car in the province and more off the road.

To get there, the New Democrat is throwing open the doors to electric vehicles — the second province to do so.

And he’s closing the door on cars older than 1995. Importing used cars that old for resale will be outlawed. Also, tailpipe standards for new cars are planned.

Manitoba must reduce its emissions to six per cent below 1990 levels by 2012 to comply with Kyoto, the global warming pact that has been abandoned by the federal Conservatives.

The omnibus bill came with few details — a host of new regulations and funding announcements are still to come. There’s also a pot of $145 million over the next four years, but that mostly includes federal cash from an eco-trust fund or money that was already budgeted for Manitoba Hydro’s PowerSmart conservation program.

The premier says Manitoba’s plan will start to produce cleaner air in a couple of years with the big bang delivered by 2012, unlike many provinces whose climate change plans that don’t kick in for decades.

“This is not a situation where we sign on to Kyoto and don’t have a plan to deliver,” said Doer.
..................................................................................

Not sure what the qualifier "for resale" means, could be some period of ownership requirement before a car could be resold.

I don't know about you, but I really don't consider a 1994 car to be that antiquated.

Considering all the computers used to keep "modern" cars running, I don't see much point in tail pipe checks, all that's required is to look at the dash for a "Check Engine" light.

Won't be long before this hobby is dead if this crap keeps up.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

Bet you're glad you live in Alberta, eh Bill?

Yes, no cars older than 1995!  Sure makes you want to own a dealership, doesn't it?  A guaranteed new sell to each person every ten eyars!  Wow!  What a concept.

It has been the law in certain places in Japan for over twenty years that no one can own a car older than four years.  What a boon to the new car market!

What a load of crap!

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 02:05:01 PM »

Rev. Scott, you've said it best my good friend "what a load of crap" indeed.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 03:31:15 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
Bet you're glad you live in Alberta, eh Bill?

Yes, no cars older than 1995!  Sure makes you want to own a dealership, doesn't it?  A guaranteed new sell to each person every ten eyars!  Wow!  What a concept.

It has been the law in certain places in Japan for over twenty years that no one can own a car older than four years.  What a boon to the new car market!

You got that right!

The "younger" guys probably don't get too excited as laws like this nibble away at their right to live in peace, but oldsters like me really get bent out of shape. Part of the reason I suppose is I remember when all these types of laws simply didn't exist. Mind you, some basic rules  to curb the idiots are required. 

Going a little off topic, but not really ....

I remember clouds of smoke that filtered through the neighbourhood every spring when it seemed every car owner decided to get out the carb cleaner. Then they'd drive around the block spewing white smoke like crazy. Nobody got upset, it was a spring ritual and besides it probably kept the bugs down.  Try that today and you'd probably get instant visits from police, fire, ambulance, dept of health and the bylaw officer. Child welfare might even place you kids in protective custody and the SPCA would rescue your dog.

Even worse I suppose was the fall ritual of setting large piles of leaves ablaze on your front yard. I still miss the smells of fall and the annual block parties where everyone stoked their leaf pile. Every once in a long while some idiot would set his house/garage/shed/fence on fire, but people were allowed to learn from their mistakes and seldom did it twice. Today you not only can't burn them, you've got to put them in a zillion bags and cart them halfway across town to a well hidden leaf depot. Makes sense I suppose, to burn fuel hauling leaves and filling our world with more non-biodegradable plastic bags that will hang around a 100 years and kill any wildlife dumb enough to live any where near us.

When I was a kid and someone was observed doing something stupid, someone was sure to yell at them to point out their stupidity and eventually someone would utter the phrase of the generation - "There otta be a law against that!" .  Unfortunately politicians took this to mean more laws equates to more votes. Today, the phrase of our generation has evolved to "What dummy dreamed up that rule!".

Forcing people to replace cars or anything else for that matter, just because a small percentage don't maintain them is ludicrous. Cars are supposed to be durable goods, we shouldn't compare them to buying dogs with 10 year life span.  Maybe we could convince  law makers to include wives in their bans, then they'll  soon see what happens when all the discards show up to vote.

Besides which, my wife seems to have finally gotten me trained and I don't think I'd want to go through that process again!

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »

I remember that carb cleaner smoke bomb!  Was always fun towatch!!!

I was in a nameless town not too far from me a week ago helping a friend rebuild his 318.  Hs wife took care of their garbage - by putting it in a barrel and burning it!!  I said, isn;t that illegal?  He said, "Isn't what????"

Love those small towns!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC