MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A wonderful day in the driveway  (Read 861 times)

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
A wonderful day in the driveway
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »

So, after fighting witht he HEI set up on my 300, I decide I'm not interested in mounting the coil in a different place where it won't look right.  So, to that end, I round up the necessary pieces for a Mopar ignition system. 

Since the weather broke today, I figured this would be a good time to do it, so I changed over the pickup coil in my dizzy to one with the factory plug.  I ran my harness, and mounted my brain box on the firewall, taking the time to make everything nice and neat.  Had to lenghten a power wire for the brain, but that was easily accomplised.  Slap the distributor back in, and crank it over so I can time it.  I crank, and crank, and crank.  No joy.  I move the dizzy back and forth, and all I get is popping out the carb, or out of the exhaust.  I hook the timing light and check for spark as I c rank.  Yup, it's flashing..... 

I figure maybe the coil has issues so I swipe the Newport coil.  No fire.  Put a spare dizzy in, and still nothing.....  I'm nearing my wits end, and I've spent over an hour and a half here, and it won't run.  Thing ran when I yarded the HEI out, but it won't now.  I know Lea didn't give me a bum box, as it's sparking.  Just for some reason it's waaaaaay out of time.  By this time, my roomate drives up, and we talk about what it's doing.  He looks at me and says "dizzy is 180 degrees out".  I looked at him blankly, and walked over to the dizzy I yanked out.  Whatta ya know....  The slot is centered, and you can get it 180 out.  Pulled the dizzy again, turned the shaft 180 degrees, and the damned thing started right up.  I started muttering obscenities about old ladies of ill repute, and flipped my roomate off for being right....  He laughed and walked back inrto the house.  Thank God I don't bend wrenches for a living!
1968 Newport Convertible

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »

LOL...

I'm amazed that you didn't do the 180 swap first....That's always my first change if it doesn't fire right away.

Good job!!
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:06:44 AM »

Been there, done that Dave  

You and I must share the same luck!  When you have a 50/50 chance and still lose, don't buy a lottery ticket

Glad to hear she's healthy, good job
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 06:28:21 AM »

Well the last time I played with distributors, they were in Datsun 510's and 280z's. They are keyed like a Chrysler, but the key is machined offset so it only goes in one way.  At least it's not a Chevy with 32 different possibilities....
1968 Newport Convertible

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »

Glad to hear you got her going!! I've been there done that too,the 180 degree thing.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:09:45 AM »

Now let's see what happens.  How's it run?  Notice any changes?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:38 AM »

So far it's running as good as it did with the HEI set up.  Only difference, is it hasn't killed a coil yet.  That's what will tell the tale.  I'm still suspicious of the coil it has as it did run for a while with the HEI set up.
1968 Newport Convertible

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

That's good news Dave.  I'd pick up another coil just in case. 

I only ever had coil problems with one C, my '68 Polara.  It wasn't BAD-bad, but the car would ping under hard acceleration and on uphill climbs.  It would also mildly over-heat on very hot days due to the weak spark.  After a new coil the issue went away completely.

Keep us posted
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »

Wow, a weak coil caused al lthat stuff Matt?  I'll have to look into my 2 higher compression 440 cars with original coils. Maybe THAT'S the problem!

Rob
'68 New Yorker 4 dr. HT polar white
'68 Newport Custom 4 dr. HT frost green metallic
'68 300 2 dr. HT Turbine Bronze Metallic
'70 Fury convertible GT clone

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC