MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MBONB  (Read 4015 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »

That's Mini-Barge On No Budget 

See what you started Lea.

Although the Convertible still needs LOTS of body work, and has a couple of minor issues, unless something actually breaks, it's just going to get driven as-as for a while.

This fall, all the time and money (right, what money?) is going into the new Dart.

Things done so far -

Removed the remains of the vinyl top
Replaced the front brake hoses (hey the wheels go around now.  )
Replaced the burned out light bulbs (everything electrical works except the drivers front marker light which is completely smashed)
Removed nasty old carpeting to find out how much rust in floor
Cut/fitted patch for left rear floor
Put in C-body sized front floor mat to cover holes in front floor
Removed wiper mechanism and ordered new seals (see above )
Replaced dead battery
Temporarily installed old style '65 voltage regulator to keep replaced battery charged
Replaced fuel filter and rubber lines
Added second filter before pump
Drained gas from tank (they said it was running a few weeks before I bought it, didn't say it was running on the same gas as when parked 2 years previously!)
Cleaned sending unit and ordered replacement for MIA sock.

Major Projects that need to get done before Winter

Finish floor repairs
Deal with the little bit of rust in C-pillars (seems to be where the seam is part way up the side) and paint roof
Pass side upper control arm bushings
Exhaust

Wow, look how much shorter the second list is...

No, I'm not buying it either.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »

Hey  A Mini Barge!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mike

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:38 AM »

Thats not a bad llittle mini barge at all, looks like a good daily grinder to me!

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »

Quote from: Potatoe
Thats not a bad llittle mini barge at all, looks like a good daily grinder to me!
Heck yeah!!! Plus its got a 318!!! BONUS!!!!
Good luck with it Dan!!! Take advantage of the nice weather we're having right now!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 02:02:02 PM »

Nice set of headers, some lake pipes, rims and tires, 4BBL , be a nice little car!  LOL

Seriously Dan, that looks like a winner.  It will run forever.

I suggest you check the T Bar Mounts in the back for rot.  If they aren't rusty, oil them up so they won't.

As I recall, they had a problem with rain leaks coming in through the windshield gasket too.

Mike

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »

The 318 is def a bonus, super sweet little grinder indeed, that 318 must make that car book!

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:50:24 AM »

The little I've driven it, it seems to be pretty slow around town, but cruise on the freeway with no effort.  Don't know if that is the rear end (says it's a 2.76) or the motor. 

Keep in mind the only thing I've done to the motor is check that it had oil, and pull one spark plug.  No idea if the timing is right, and not sure if any of the emmisions stuff is hooked up right/working.  There is definitely one loose hose probably causing a vacuum leak.

Maybe I should just swap in a 383 with a blower on top.  Saw that in a '69 Dart this evening.

Since the exhaust needs replacing, I'm going to see how much more to go dual, but we'll see.  Not gonna chop up perfectly good fenders to put headers in!  (might make front end alignments easier though? )
Might go 4bbl at some point, but not soon.

I actually like those factory wheelcovers, but needs nicer whitewalls all around.  Same bolt pattern as the Chrysler, so it would be nice to standardize on one tire for both cars, but I suspect the Chrysler ones will be too big.

The "frame" seems really solid (that's a nice change) but will definitely check the T-bar mounts, I have heard that is an issue with the A's

Looks like most of the water has been coming in through the drivers side wiper pivot.  Gonna fix that and then back to the car wash.

D Cluley2007-09-23 05:53:03
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Mike

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:38:50 AM »

Then you got to make sure the Rollers don't have SCMODS, Ar you want to
take that one for me?, Over all sweet ride, maybe all that 318 needs is
some tlc or the mini Bluesmobile needs a cop motor a four hundred and
forty inch cubic plant!!!!

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 06:10:03 AM »

Duals should not be too much for that car. Go 2-1/2" with cheap regular muffs.It will increase the torque range and the wife will not complain about "the noise".
A 4bbl will definetly increase MPG with its smaller primaries.That's if you can keep yer foot out of it!!
You scored a good car since it already has electronic ignition,big bolt pattern, disc brakes,and A/C.
Little needs to be done to really enjoy the car.
How about MINI-BLUE ON A BUDGET
After all it is classified as compact car in its day...
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:41:34 AM »

Ya fergot one major thing on yer list of things to do Dan.....

remove the magic marker "critiques" all over the car!

Looks good though......I have a box with half of a control arm bushing set that I don't know what it fits. Anyone know what part #'s he needs for that car? I'll check Monday to see what they are.
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »

Dan

I think you said that was a 75?  If it is, it's laiden down with all sorts of polutoion controls.  Most of them never worked anyway.  A finely tuned engine will produce less emmisions than they did with all that crap on them.

That could be the reason for the sluggishness

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:49:43 AM »

Lea,
I’m hoping that the exhaust pipe is good enough to get to next year, and they can just replace the muffler and tailpipe, but we’ll see.
I’ve heard that about the 2bbl vs 4bbl but never actually seen documentation of anybody trying both on the same car.  If I do it, will definitely keep track.

Bob,

Actually I got most of the scribbling off.  All it took was an hour at the car wash and a couple of Mr Clean Magic Erasers.

I don’t have a parts book yet, but RockAuto  shows Spicer #5601007 or AC Delco #45G8007 for the upper bushings if that tells you anything.  Thanks for checking.

Steve,
It’s actually a ’74.  The good news is no Cats.  J   Between looking at the FSM and poking at the engine I think I’ve got most of it figured.  There is a temp control thing in the aircleaner that controls the flap that lets warm air in to the snorkel (once I replace the missing duct)  There’s some sort of control thing on the side of the aircleaner that does something mysterious with the line to the vacuum advance on the distributor.  That has been bypassed.  Finally there is a temp control in the top radiator tank that is supposed to control the EGR valve in the intake.  That is all just loose (pretty sure I’m getting a vacuum leak from that line)

My thought is to check to see if any of the stuff actually functions properly.  If so try the motor both with and without and see what difference it makes.  If they don’t work, will just bypass them properly.  If I’m going to drive it this winter, pretty sure I will want the warm air duct working.

Oh, and not too worried about SCMODS, but then my violations list is single digit rather than triple. ;)
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:37 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley

Steve,
It’s actually a ’74.  The good news is no Cats.  J   Between looking at the FSM and poking at the engine I think I’ve got most of it figured.  There is a temp control thing in the aircleaner that controls the flap that lets warm air in to the snorkel (once I replace the missing duct)  There’s some sort of control thing on the side of the aircleaner that does something mysterious with the line to the vacuum advance on the distributor.  That has been bypassed.  Finally there is a temp control in the top radiator tank that is supposed to control the EGR valve in the intake.  That is all just loose (pretty sure I’m getting a vacuum leak from that line)

My thought is to check to see if any of the stuff actually functions properly.  If so try the motor both with and without and see what difference it makes.  If they don’t work, will just bypass them properly.  If I’m going to drive it this winter, pretty sure I will want the warm air duct working.

Oh, and not too worried about SCMODS, but then my violations list is single digit rather than triple. ;)

Good you found allot of the stuff.  Too bad you can't adjust the Cam.  The Cams were the main item they messed with for the emmissions.. . . Never did anything for the car except Pee off allot of people with lousey running and help the oil companies
We used to block the EGR port all together.  They did something to the carbs of that time which slowed the cars down.  The Gadget on the air cleaner was a timing advance delay.  It worked on the ambient temp.  Bypassing them never seemed to do much.  It might have been part of the faster warm up thing.

POLARACO2007-09-24 09:36:20

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »

nice find.it's exactally what i'm looking for. lol you should put a pre smog 318 in it and see what that does for power. well good luck with the car. maybe some more pics???
176K miles 10/22

Mike

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »

The Mini BluesMobile should get a 440 thrown into it, but would it fit. Then the power issue is solved.

Part of the Jersey Mob.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC