MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MBONB  (Read 3803 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 08:39:56 PM »

According to my book,the park brake cable should run below the transmission and above the exhaust.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 09:11:08 PM »

As for the tires,you should be ok.
According to my charts.( Tires is my occupation) there is a 51 RPM drop at 60 MPH when upsizing from 20575R14 to 21575R14
If you have 2.76 rear gears,the larger tire will actually be like 2.71 gear ratio
Not a big difference but it explains the higher speed by 7 MPH than actual reading.The difference in speed will not be noticed in city driving at lower speeds.
However RPM range may be noticeable.
At 30 MPH,in Drive the engine may be turning at about 1151 RPM with the 205's
The 215's wil turn the engine at 1126 RPM.This is just an example.
Shift points will come in sooner under light load by 10 RPM drop,and under a heavy foot it will take up to 50 more RPM's to get up to the next gear.
No biggie,just me crunching gumbers..
The A body rims are not as wide as C's .My Duster had 14x5's.My C's have 14X6"s.
Approved rim widths for 21575R14 is minimum of 5-1/2" and up.
Approved rim widths for 20575R14 is the same.
Use the skinny rims for wheel chocks,and get some wider ones off of Aspens,Volares,or another C and use them.
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »

Here are the charts I used:

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 01:05:15 AM »

Speedometer -----------------

I used the charts here - http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm  which seem to have the same basic info. 
Of course, I'm not sure if the speedo pinion has ever been changed.  The door sticker indicates the original tire size as D78-14  which seems to fall in size inbetween 185/70 and 195/70  (there was one of each of these in the trunk) which are smaller than the 205/75 that I replaced with 215/75   (you can't tell the player's without a scorecard)

All I know is at this point, the odometer is only off 2-3% which is close enough for me.

Now logically the speedometer should be off by the same percentage as the odometer, right?  So, since mine is off around 11% (at 60mph) I'm still assuming there's a separate issure with the speedometer itself. 

Fun with Fuel  ----------------------------

Back in September,  before I discovered the missing sock on the gas sending unit, the car died on my about 10 miles out of town.  So had the fun of getting towed home at 3am. 

Draining out the old/new gas mix and replacing the sock seemed to have mostly taken care of the issue.  I'm still getting a certain amount of crud in the filter (I added one before the pump) so it probably ought to have a new tank, but I figure I can replace a lot of filters for the cost of  a tank.  The filter after the pump is staying clear, so looks like the first one is doing it's job.

However it died again last Saturday night.  Not being on the freeway this time, I did a little more investigation.  Cranking the motor caused fuel to come out of the line at the carb, but it wouldn't start, and working the accelerator pump didn't cause the usual squirt.

Called the tow company, and after a while the driver calls back to verify my location.  His first question.  "Is this the same Dart I towed last month?"  -  Great... I know have my own personal tow driver.

Well, rebuilding a BBD is just a easy as everyone said. :) 
There was some sludge buildup in the bottom of the float bowls, but the rest didn't look bad.  So, I don't really know what clogged, but it seems to be working fine now.  Also, thanks to Steve, it has the proper choke pull-off now. :)

---------------------

Adventures in Audio will have to wait for another day.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »

Well sounds like your getting the driveability down to a science Dan!!
I hope it stays off the hook for a while!!

Jessica

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »

Looking sharp! I like the two tone blue and white. Are you going to keep it that way? I imagine that's what the top USED to look like or was it more of a cream color? I had a 74 valiant that was a two tone tan and gold... beautiful looking car but ran like complete crap and never could get it straight. Glad to hear that you're getting the bugs worked out of yours! As far as a tires go, general rule of thumb I always went by at the shop was there's a 5 mph difference for every half inch. I haven't the patience to calculate as exact!

J

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:18 AM »

I don't ever seem to have time to post a full update here, so I'll just throw up a couple of photos.
I got one of those Pine scented air fresheners, but I couldn't get it to hang from the mirror.

This one is simply my excuse for not getting any projects done.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:41 AM »

Good to see the Dart being driven.She looks very happy driving in the snow.
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »

Front end work - Easy is hard, and Hard is easy?

We've had a few hints of spring weather the last couple of weeks, so I've been starting a few projects. 

The Dart has a couple of issues with the front end, so I thought I'd do them together. 

Left caliper has been leaking a little, needs new shocks, and the pitman arm has a little slop.  Take care of that, get new tires, and then re-align.

Shocks should be easy, right?

I didn't think I needed to spend $110 on the KYBs, so had to special order Monroes- took 4 days  (they built how many million A-bodies, and nobody has shocks in the local warehouse?) and then they  turn out to be the wrong part.  So now I'm waiting another 3 days for the other number.

Brake cailper should be pretty easy, right?

This is the easiest caliper mounting system I've worked with.  Except when one of the bolt heads snaps off  Except that the broken bolt came out with no problem 
Easy? Hard?  this one was just weird!

I figured the pitman arm would be the hard one.
I've never used a pickle fork before, and when I bought the puller, the guy at the parts store suggested that I'd really want to use an impact wrench.
So the other night I figured I'd just clean the crud off, and see if anything would budge.  Everything came apart easily and in less than an hour later, the new one was installed.  Go figure.

After looking at the FSM and the car, I realised that the alignment was screwed up.  Somebody set this thing up with a couple of degrees of NEGATIVE caster.  The only way that is right, is if it has manual steering and bias ply tires.  I eyeballed it back to a little Positive caster and between that and the new pitman arm, it feels a lot more solid.

Next up, new tires for the Dart, so I can put the other set back on the Chrysler.

D Cluley2008-03-27 06:12:25
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »

As of last week I have had the Dart for 6 months, and driven it 10,000 miles.  I think I'm getting my money's worth out of this one.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

firedome

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 03:32:21 AM »

Great car!!  - I loved my old '68 Dart GT and '72 Swinger, both
/6s... wish I still had 'em in these days of gas at gold prices!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 04:08:05 AM »

Every time I see this thread Dan, the title makes me think it's about minding your own business and bringing your own beer......or something like that.....  

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:56 AM »

They were so tough Dan you can put 200,000 on them.  Just keep the rust in check and the rest will take care of itself.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
MBONB
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »

Any noises can be fixed by turning up the radio!!! LOL

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC