MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Miss Belvedere vs. Stitcherbob & Polaraco  (Read 4224 times)

steve fogel

• View Profile
Miss Belvedere vs. Stitcherbob & Polaraco
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »

Oh ye of little faith !   I'm heartened by the front fender........yes, poor planning caused this setback, but anything's possible, if you stick with it and put your mind to it........

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »

I think they did what they could and what they thought would work back in 1957. Plus as we all know these cars started to rust in the showrooms. I'm suprised its as good as it is.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »

Quote from: hurst1
Polar, did this outfit actually purchase the car, or are they simply doing the work for the owner?

No, they are charged with making a decision and trying to get the car to some point of representation. 

In the documentary, the Plymouth was chosen because of its innovative designs.  I think the mission is to show what can be done to make it show what our innovation can do.  Many of the people interviewed after the unavailing said to leave it.  But by doing that, it will be dust in a few years.  That's evident already.

I get the feeling, they want to get the car to a point where it can move around under its own steam, with as much of its own parts as possible.  Given the products he has available, that may very well be possible.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 09:13:13 AM »

Steve and Bob deserve a hearty thank-you for getting us involved!  What better a way to promote this site and help with a worthy cause!

Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »

I can tell you one thing....the Ultra One shtuff really works! I have test soaked some really rusty parts in a gallon of it and it's remarkable.....the rust floats off and doesn't leave etching  on the good metal. I soaked a hood latch for a 1962 Chrysler that was dark brown with surface rust, and after an overnight bath it is now going on ebay (it could almost pass for NOS!) because it looks like new. It didn't affect the white cadmium plating on the stamped base plate and it didn't even remove the factory paint from the backside that got on it when it was bolted down!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »

Bobby is going to be Canned!!

canned potatoes????

I went I went......sheesh!

stitcherbob2008-02-15 00:10:27
Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

I got permission to post these only.  Can't get too extensive with it, but it's something.

On the bottom there is a pic clearly showing the holes starting in the 1/4 panel over the wheel.  If you look at the unveiling, that hole wasn't there.  http://www.moparfins.com/Miss_Belvedere/Images/557025879_56cd203bec.jpg 

For the unveiling shots, go here:  http://www.moparfins.com/Miss_Belvedere/Miss_Belvedere.htm

stitcherbob2008-02-15 00:09:32

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »

Theres a familar picture, Steve under a car. Hows it look under there Steve?

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »

POLARACO2008-02-14 22:18:46

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »

Cripes!! That's like looking at pics of a shipwreck..but still underwater.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »

Funny you said that

I've recently been calling it the "Titantic with Tires"

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 04:44:24 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Funny you said that  
I've recently been calling it the "Titantic with Tires"
As most of you probably already have read, MCG magazine has been insisting that the right thing to do would be to completely hermetically seal and encase Miss belvedere as-is.
There's merit to this argument because of the posibilty that an attempt to 'restore' (?) the car will result in a larger disaster than already exists.
I get sick looking at the photos of the state that it is in now.  There are rust buckets sitting in boneyards in way better condition than that.  So my take is this: What the hell, there's nothing really to lose now.  Go for it.  The knowledge gained in the attempt will be priceless.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:47 AM »

Yep  There are a dozen concepts on the car including burrying it again. 

The owners don't want the car enclosed.  But it has to be cleaned up first.  The mission is to preserve the look, try to get it moveable under it's own steam, and light up.  Will need seat frames and a frame with springs. (Already Located)  Other than that. it's clean off the OK mud and preserve what's left. 
It's supposed to go on world tour.  Encasing it won't stop it from deteriating more.  It will have it's own transportation container too

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »

Here's a little update Stan

I was up there the other day looking at a few different options with Dwight.  It seems that red OK clay is into everything.  Had it been washed down real good in the beginning it would have had a better chance.

The clay turned to concrete.  We now understand why, it was mixed with the lime and mortar that dissolved off the walls of the vault.  When it dried it turned to cement.  Nice mess.  The Ultra one cannot penetrate it and a coating is in everything.  When I say everything, I mean everything! It's the lime in the concrete which has numerous concerns.  If the car is sealed, it will continue to deteriorate, very slowly.

Bob, Dwight and I have been trying to come up with non-acid ideas to float this crap off the car without damaging it.  Acids will do more harm than good.  The mission is to get that stuff off and then derust the car.  Once that is done, the ultra one will leave a coating on the car to preserve it.

We can't move forward until the cement is gone.

The final mission is to get it running, possibly move under it's own steam and to light up.  We've located a parts car and identified what we need.  I have a rolling chassis lined up with part of the body on it.  I can't do anything more until Dwight finds a solution to the cement though.  He has a solution he devised being tested now.  But it's not strong enough yet.

By the way, Dwight mentioned the Ultra One has been used on a few engines as bad as this with great success.  The engine will definitely need new valve springs, but He's pretty sure he'll save most of the engine.  We've found a 301 for parts.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Bob, Dwight and I have been trying to come up with non-acid ideas to float this crap off the car without damaging it.  Acids will do more harm than good.  The mission is to get that stuff off and then derust the car.  Once that is done, the ultra one will leave a coating on the car to preserve it.

Here's a thought:
http://directcolors.com/ConcreteStain/speedy_clean.htm?gclid=CJiVwYjJgpICFQVvlgodsVME9Q

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC