MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rare Mopar found  (Read 473 times)

David McDonnell

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »

[color=#ff0000 size=2]Click here: Viewing a thread - LaComtesse SHOW CAR[/color][/url][color=#ff0000 size=2] ......Boy, this one is RARE![/color]
[color=#ffffff size=2]Dave[/color]
Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »

Well that one sure is different!

Don't know about the clear roof, would be like driving in a greenhouse!

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »

Neat find!
.....but I get all disgusted reading the comments from the pee- nut gallery over there at Forward Look, so I try to stay away

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:22 AM »

What kind of whacko hides away what is argueably one of the rarest Chryslers in the world and "forgets about it" for maybe 40 or so years???

I'm telling ya...    !!!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:46 AM »

For sure fury440.  Down here in FLA it would be a delight to have that glass roof come Aug.  You could bake bread while you drove around.  

That being said it is one pretty cool looking car.  Funny how things get passed down or to others and they have no clue what they've got.   It's like my collection of 45's, records.  I've made sure my kids know what one's they want to hang onto and those to just dump when I'm gone.

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »

Back in the 50's, my great grandmother, her mother and her sister lived together in a really old house in a Ontario small town. At the time great great  gramma was over 100 and great gramma and my great aunt were in their early 80's. The house was completely filled with really old furniture and family pictures. They had electricity, but no water or central heating. There was a manual water pump in the yard, a big wood stove in the country style kitchen, a couple of fireplaces and a two seater outhouse in the yard.  They decided the house had too much junk, so they started feeding furniture, pictures etc into the wood stove, very pleased to get rid of things they no longer liked or wanted. Get the picture!

Well picture this, in the drawing room there was a gigantic pump organ, it was at least 6' wide and towered all the way to the about 9' or 10'  ceiling. It was covered with unbelievable carvings and scroll work, in short it was so impressive that when people first saw it they just stood and stared in awe. It worked perfectly and great aunt Grace could really make it sing.

Anyhow, she started to get arthritis in her fingers and she decided it was just too much work to dust it and not be able to play it,  so .. she chopped it up and threw it in the stove. 

At the time I was about 11 or 12 and just couldn't understand how she could do such a thing and why nobody in the family seemed to care. I wasn't thinking of its monetary value, I just plain liked it and loved to hear it played.

Great aunt Grace passed away in the late '70's at the ripe old age of 103. One of her distant relatives from New York, who as it turned out was an antique dealer, came up for the funeral service and asked about the organ. When he heard the story he was horrified, apparently it had been hand made by some master and he figured the organ was easily worth $200K US.

One person's junk is another's gold!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:07:07 AM »

Quote from: Fury440
One person's junk is another's gold!
That must mean I'm richer than Bill Gates if measured by the junk that I have.

Without junk, there would be no ebay...

Commando12008-06-13 16:10:24

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

By that measure I'm going broke, I've been doing a "ruthless" garage cleanup and so far the dump scales report just over 3,000 lbs. Crazy thing thought, my garage really doesn't look that much different. 

I was talking to my mother (91) this afternoon and I commented on Grace's "great furniture purge".  Mom added some info that I never knew, turns out that the house a down the road had been owned by Thomas Edison and that a lot of the furniture Aunt Grace chopped up came from Edison's house when he moved to the US. Mom  couldn't remember where the organ came from, but said she wouldn't be surprised if it was from Edison's house as well.  Turns out my maiden aunt seems to have had a fling with young Thomas. Apparently after his death historical  buffs were running all over the place trying to find any trace of his belongings.  Mom said they should have scraped  Grace's chimney!

David McDonnell

• View Profile
Rare Mopar found
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »

OH,BILL......Your old Aunt must have been a character....throw out 200K organ and burn it!..........toss out Tom Edison.....God only knows how she got you for a relative>>>.Probably didn't need her help in discarding your 3,000 pounds of Mopar Gold Dust,.....did ya' ???
HeeHee
Dave.......reminds me of another 300 junk dealer story!!!
LOL
.....another night!
Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC