MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PROJECT FURYVERT PART I  (Read 1876 times)

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »

I'll take some pics tomorrow or Sunday after I get the temp exhaust on.  It's going to be close to 100 degrees here both days so I am not sure how much will get done. It's close to running, then a trip to Roadrunner Exhaust in Springfield, MA
Rob
'68 New Yorker 4 dr. HT polar white
'68 Newport Custom 4 dr. HT frost green metallic
'68 300 2 dr. HT Turbine Bronze Metallic
'70 Fury convertible GT clone

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »

Well, almost 3 weeks and we've hit a short (but jumpable I think) wall.  Here's the deal.  Everything is on the car and ready to fire, including the very scary temp exhaust.  This is a stock '69 440 that I did the following work:

1. Replaced timing chain
2. Replaced valve stem seals
3. added a windage tray and cleaned the pickup out. 
4. new high pressure oil pump
5. new water pump

I have fuel, spark, and it cranks like it has compression.  NO START.  I thought about this for a couple of days and the only thing that I (and other engine building elders I have conferred with) come up with is I have the timing chain on wrong. 

BTW, I have 25+ PSI oil pressure cranking the engine!

What say you guys? I am ready to go in after the chain angle, especially since it's a non a/c car.

Your answers/opinions greatly appreciated!
Rob

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »

That's a possibility, or you have the distributor set to the wrong timing position.  Not necessarily 180 out.  The other thing could be the drive gear under the disty.  If you didn't take the gear and disty out. . . .  Well. . . Have a good time tearing the front off your nice clean motor.

Zero out the engine to TDC.  Check the gear.  It should be pointing to #1 Cylinder as the rotor and the vacuum advance.  All that gets it pretty close.

If that not it, do a compression test and see what the cylinders are pumping up to.   They should be like 125 PSI.  If it's lower, then you can plan on going back into the chain.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »

Well, I broke the land speed record (for me) in removing the radiator, water pump housing, steering pump (to the side) alt bracket (to the side), the pulleys, damper, and the timing chain cover.  90 minutes and not a scratch to the engine.  I LOVE this Bill Hirsch engine paint, it's like iron!

I think the drive gear is in wrong.  I'll use your method Steve now that the cover is off.  I'd like to think this will work.  Please pray for this idiot!

Steve, please PM me your address so I can send you these news paper clippings from the Tulsa World on the unearthing of MS. Belvedere last year.  If you don't want them, I'm sure someone does.  My sister lives in Tulsa and cut them out for me.
Rob

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 03:33:02 PM »

Wow, have I been up to my neck! I did finally get the convertible to run and it's mostly back together except for the exhaust and the hood being on straight.  It's loud as hell currently, but it runs OK. I put the top down a couple of weekends ago and putted around the block in it.

Now getting ready to mothball stuff for the Winter, SIGH.
Rob

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

There's always Florida...

firedome

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 05:09:43 PM »

That's life in the great NorthEast... 9 months of winter and 3 months of da.m poor sledding.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:14 PM »

I'm starting a countdown. I figure in a month or so I will be ready to take it to have the exhaust done. I shoveled more snow today and removed another ice dam from the front roof.  Almost time for a roof on the house. Ho Hum.
Rob

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
PROJECT FURYVERT PART I
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

Finally an update! As of May 8th, it's on the road and legal.  I had a complete 2 1/2" dual exhaust system with an H pipe and Magnaflow mufflers installed for a screaming deal.  I've put about 600 miles on it since then. I'm still installing underhood accessories, etc. 

Best news is it runs great and uses no oil. Not bad for a 90K '69 440 that I only lightly freshened (valve stem seals, timing chain, added windage tray, new pan seal, oil pump, water pump.)

I took it to Musclepalooza at Lebanon Valley on Sunday, but that's another story for another post.
Rob

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC