MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Tilt-A-Scope rebuild?  (Read 1474 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Suggestions for Tilt-A-Scope rebuild?
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

All right, I'm stumped.  I have a Tilt-A-Scope column I got that's from a '68 300, and before I can use it, it needs to be gone through.

Steve or any of you other old salts on here, is there somebody or shop that would be best to use who knows their way around these things?

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »

Anyone can do them, but they are a PITA
There is a C ring which needs two small strong hands to get back in.  I'll have to look int he parts manual and get you a breakdown.  I never did a 68, but I have done a 70 and a 76
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »

Why do you think it needs "going through" Moe? Unless the top bearing is shot or the tilt action doesn't work, they usually are fine.... the top bearing goes when people use the wheel to hoist themselves into the car, and the only other thing could be a sloppy shifter arm.

I use the FSM and do them for myself....just don't lose the small parts!

For the price of shipping, I can send ya a column from a 68 Imperial that I don't need anymore....no wheel on it and the shift arm is destroyed so it's only good for certain parts....

stitcherbob2008-01-20 21:10:01
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Bob.  So I figured I'd humor Moe and scare the willies out of him NOT to take it apart.

stitcherbob2008-01-20 22:41:06

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

Oh yeah, another thang Moe....if'n the column is from one of those dusty places like AZ or SD, wash the column with soapy water, rinse with a bucket of HOT water, and blast it with compressed air until most of the water is out. Then spray with the PB Blaster to drive out the rest of the moisture. The HOT water dries faster than the cold from a hose (I set up a hot water outlet for my garden hose....one of the best things I ever did!) and with this, all of the dust and grit will be flushed away.
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »

Steve and Bob, I got this thing from Washington, and there's some rust on the thing.  Also, my FSM is at the shop with Chaz, and, I don't have the tools to even BEGIN trying to fool with it, nor access to a shop or compressed air...not that I'm complaining.

Fortunately, the column is in one piece (with a few smaller pieces bagged), and it's easier for me to let someone else deal with it.  I know my limits, and right now, I've reached it.

Thank for the vote of confidence though

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »

I never doubted you could do it Moe. . . They are just a pain in the . . .  .  You have to remember how they came apart on the earlier ones or the steering wheel will telescope itself right out of there. *Moe gets 10 Stitchers on the chin*

stitcherbob2008-01-22 00:09:02

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

I maybe be worrying about nothing with the column, because the body-shop guy sez they can rebuild it.  I'll drag it out to him later this week for a more definite opinion.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »

What did they find out about the back window?

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »

Nothing wrong with the back window.  Ah, gotta love this DRY Central Valley weather 
I think I'll put the Tilt-A-Scope on the back burner, 'cause it looks like other things are taking precedence, like the front suspension/brakes/wheels!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC