MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 66' 300 - 68' VIP  (Read 2875 times)

Jimmy

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »

Where all the money goes! Actually I don't mind it a bit, keep's me away from the bar and out of trouble. I wish the wife saw it my way...

Anyhow, the 66' 300 is up on block's and in for another refit. It won't be a major one like last year but hey, gonna take another chunk of time and cash, both thing's well spent.

Gonna be calling on Stitcherbob for the big one, top replacement. I will be ordering the stayfast canvas top from Kee Autotop in the next week or two along with new rear window, top pad's and a new well liner. I have never done a top replacement before but I gotta learn sometime.

Other item's to be addressed are torque converter upgrade and seal's on both side's, 3:23's in the rear end and all related seal's, full brake job with new power booster, starter, rear leaf's and shock's (KYB's as per Polaraco's past thread) and a pile-o-piddly crap that just bug's me. The exhaust I fabricated from the manifold's to the tip's need's a little tweaking as I find the muffler's hang a little low.

I will shoot a couple of pic's over the next few day's from my little house in the backyard just to show how confined the quarter's are getting. My plan this past fall was to build an addition to the garage for the Chrysler but that got put on hold till spring. The VIP reside's in my Dad's garage but the 300 is shared with 2 street bike's, 2 atv's (another on the way), 2 ski-doo's and a snowblower. Clever use of space in a 20' x 32' garage I tell ya...

Here is a condensed list of stuff performed on the car last winter by myself in my little house in the back yard...

-Complete front suspension rebuild. (everything with joint's and rubber)
-New power steering box and power steering hose's.
-Radiator rebuild. (shoulda put a 4 core instead of the 3 just for the hell of it)
-Replace all the engine gasket's (intake gasket was non existent, was sealed with blue rtv silicone)
-Threw in a timing chain set while it was apart.
-New fuel pump and pushrod.
-Replaced all the power window switches and repair wiring back to stock.
-Install H/P manifold's and fabricate full dual exhaust system with Dynomax ultra-flo muff's.
-Replace engine harness and repair the bulkhead connector and pins.
-Replace all ignition component's, regulator and resistor, starter switch, belt's and hose's.
-Seat belt's fer the yungin's.
-Align all the window tracks and regulator's.
-Clean up the grime under the hood and make it all pretty.
-New tire's.
-Install cd player under dash and install speaker's in stock location's.
-Change all fluid's and service/adjust tranny.
-Carb rebuild.
-new master cylinder (67 dual style) 

There is a raft of other stuff I did to the car but i'm pretty sure I could go on forever... Just glad that when I got the car there was absolutely no body, trim or interior issues to deal with. This car has lead a pampered life and was stored in a heated garage for the past 25 years. Before that it resided in north carolina where it was purchased new, absolutely a 100% rust free car. Hopefully it wont cost as much this year as it did last year or I will be kicked out on my a$$...

Cheers, Jimmy...
jimmyray682008-07-23 17:54:54
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:03:51 AM »

A garage is never too big.Mine is 20x40 and I am already running out of room.
If you are droppong the arse right out of her,you may as well clean up the axle housing and shoot a fresh coat of paint on it..It will look nice when put back together,IMO..

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »

Jimmy,That 300 is one sweeeeet ride!!!!! ya gotta love the 66's they have all the best stuff,the 65 dashboard and the body style that makes em look like they are moving even when sitting still IMHO!!!!!!!!!!

I wish mine was a 'vert.    I guess I shoulda held out a little longer,but I got my favorite color combo so I guess I got lucky there.

Anyway I really like your rides Jim!!!! keep up the good work!!

I just noticed our rides have almost the same "rake" to them or "stance" if you get what I mean.ardog2008-01-18 13:35:55

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »

Jimmy, what size tires are those?  I wish Big Blue was that nice.....  Perhaps someday when I hit the lotto....
1968 Newport Convertible

Jimmy

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

Hey Lea, the rear axle was painted about 10 years ago, still see your reflection in it. Too true about garage space, seems the more space you have the more crap you find to fill that space.
Ardog, you got one sweet ride yerself. You are right about the stance too. I like cars up a little in the rear, looks like its ready to jump at you. The rear shocks are those heavy load levellers with the coil over springs, they gotta go because it rides like crap. I will probably have to slip another leaf in the springs when the new shocks go in to keep the ride height.
Hey Carrman, the tires are 235 75r 15's with the 1 1/2" wide whites. The car had 215's when I bought it fall of 2006. The wheels are later version chrysler chromes but I think it is the best looking combo for it. Big blue is a beauty too. Love the lines of the 66 cars. You dont need to win the lotto either, picked the 66 up for $10 grand. Just got to be in the right place at the right time I guess... 

Jimmy

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 02:55:43 AM »

Just picked up my new power brake booster and it has a bare steel finish. What would you guys suggest I finish it with, a clear coat and keep it natural or prime and paint either cast finish or black?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:31:03 AM »

I would paint it black.....clear tends to trap moisture underneath (during spraying) and then rust blooms, and I can't remember ever seeing one in cast finish....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jimmy

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:27:18 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking black myself as the VIP has the original booster with a semi satin black finish on it. Guess thats the way its going although it does look kinda cool in its natural state...

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

Quote from: jimmyray68
Ardog, you got one sweet ride yerself. You are right about the stance too. I like cars up a little in the rear, looks like its ready to jump at you. The rear shocks are those heavy load levellers with the coil over springs, they gotta go because it rides like crap. I will probably have to slip another leaf in the springs when the new shocks go in to keep the ride height.

Thanks Jimmy but she's a 20 footer at best(if your 20 feet away she looks real good!!!)But the worst part is the interior,maybe some day it will get redone.
My car just has regular air shocks on the back. I like the ready to jump look too. People tell me I should lower it but I don't care for that look. Then there the idiots that talk about hydraulics!!!! Don't get me started on them!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »

KIDS!

Most kids don't appreciate these old monsters.  They are used to these cookie cutter cars.

Let's shove a potato in the tailpipe and see them dodge (There are several meanings for Dodge) when it comes at them!      Rice wagons just die when you do that.

Pssst  Pssst  I did that to one of my bongo playing neighbors with a speaker that was distrupting the Magnetic Compass North in his car.  Took him weeks to figure out what was wrong.   Heh Heh Heh  Funny how quiet it was for a few weeks.

POLARACO2008-01-25 13:53:00
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
KIDS!

Most kids don't appreciate these old monsters.  They are used to these cookie cutter cars.

Lets hope there's also several meanings for "Potatoe" as well......

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Mike

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

Thanks Bobby, I would like to see a Potato launched out of a tailpipe,
Ohhhhhh Johnny Boy!..... Hey Jimmy, what kind of rims/wheels are on
that sweet 66.

Potatoe2008-01-27 20:16:46
Part of the Jersey Mob.

Johnny D.

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »

you know where the car is... you even got a key... what do i gotta do supply the spud too?

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Mike

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »

I thought about it B and we would prob blow your exhaust apart lol.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Jimmy

• View Profile
66' 300 - 68' VIP
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Wheels are just the 15 x 6 Chrysler road wheels with body color painted insert. Here is a crappy pic...

jimmyray682008-04-14 16:18:02
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC