MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Rail Road Bridges Forgotten Icons  (Read 10290 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rail Road Bridges Forgotten Icons
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »

That's the same line P.  But there is allot more of it in the woods.  A very scenic ride that would be.  Wish I had a 4 wheeler
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

Hence the reason I should go to werk for a railroad.  Those guys get the greatest scenery in America! 
Kinzua was so remote it took an hour-long car ride to find it before it was declared a State Park in the early 1970's.  (I was almost born under that same bridge in 1971 thanks to one of my Dad's excursions.  Mom was 8.75 mos pregnant at the time and started having contractions.  The long forgotten road that passed underneath Kinzua was meant for a Forest Service Jeep, NOT a Buick!  VERY rougn...  I was born a few days later without complications and in a hospital )

Cassandra is a great photo-op spot Dan!  The old PA-53 overpass is from the '20s and is barely wide enough for a U-Hual truck!  Being on it when a stack train goes underneath is a true rush!  This little park offers great views east and west and there are NO obstructions that one's viewfinder always picks up.  Westbounds are best shot in the PM and vice-versa.  Come for a visit and we'll tour!

I'm still researching the B&O's Allegheny River bridge crossing just east of Salamanca NY.  That line is still used by the Buffalo & Pittsburgh and runs parallel to the old Erie right of way (which crossed Kinzua 30 miles away in Mt. Jewitt, PA)  Salamanca had a railroad rivalry going on back in the day.  The Erie had a terminal on the west end and the B&O on the east (with a 360-degree roundhouse and three story brick bunkhouse).  B&O's bunkhouse is still used by the B&P as a crew change location, the Erie's terminal is just a train station museum with the original coaling towers still standing.

I'll dig out the pics...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »

Here's a pic of the train I last rode over Kinzua...

A Tangshan(China)-built Mikado class No.5Y58 at the north end of Kinzua Viaduct.

Kinzua in July of 2003:

You can clearly see the tornado's path just east of the structure.

Another view, from Bridgeview Cemetery several miles away in Mt Jewitt on the same roadtrip.

Disclaimer:
These pix are copyrighted by me and may only be horked if one really wishes to really hork em.  Better images are available via request, and stuff.

Matt

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
I was born a few days later without complications and in a hospital

Except he was dropped on his head. . .

There was a  line running throught he Deleware Water Gap.  Last I knew it was supposed to connect to Stroudsburgh, and run east, eventually ending in Newark, where the Path is used into the city.  But it seems to me it was changed and didn't run out of PA anymore.  It's probably because those Poconoers have a death wish the way they drive. . .   Anyway, the last I noticed, there was only one track running, with a bed for 3 or 4.  Last I saw there was freight cars on it.

I went up to the Scranton Train Museum, 20 years ago and was very disappointed.

I wish I had the time to chase this stuff. . .  Most of the REAL history in in the North and North east.  PA has a weath of it as North Jersey has.

POLARACO2008-01-13 18:50:57

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 01:47:56 PM »

Thought that was the same line Steve. Matt thats wild stuff man, I
would like to visit some of the see railroad museums in PA one day and
maybe take a ride on a steam engine. Too bad that bridge is now in
disrepair and mostly destroyed.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »

http://www.gsmrrclub.org/HISTORY/history5i.html

My Great grandfather ran trains across this bridge many times....I found it by accident one day trying to find a McDonald's for lunch while at a resto shop up there. It just appeared out of nowhere! I climbed up a bank and took some of the white ballast the Lackawanna was famous for, and some shale that the whole mountain was created from.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

Matt

Robert F. Brogle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »

I FINALLY made it to Starrucca Viaduct in the Fall. It's very impressive.  The Lackawanna bridges are newer than Starrucca and built as a moderinization and grade elimination project by the Lackawanna RR in 1915.  This project eliminated many severe grades and gave the Lackawanna the shortest route of any carrier between NYC and Buffalo.  The portion between Binghampton and Scranton survives as part of the D&H division of the CP. NS and the Delaware-Lackawanna RR operate the rest in the area of the water gap and in upstate NY.  Conrail abandonedthe New Jersey segment (know as the cutoff or Lackawanna Cutoff) to prevent competition from obtaining it and diluting it's lucrative traffic base of chemicals and merchandise in to the metro area. 

NJ and PA want to rebuild it to host an NYC-Scranton Amtrak train as well as some commuer service.  The abandoned portion was removed in 1983.
Rob
'68 New Yorker 4 dr. HT polar white
'68 Newport Custom 4 dr. HT frost green metallic
'68 300 2 dr. HT Turbine Bronze Metallic
'70 Fury convertible GT clone

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »

We finally got to Cassandra today, not a great day for taking pix but it werked.  I left my ol' Nikon in the car and stayed with the digi as it was a thermometer-bustin' 8-degrees!

Eastbound, up the grade, towards Cresson and the summit at Gallitzin and it's famed tunnels.

Westbound, towards Portage, Johnstown and the Steel City.  It's an easy trek from here on out as the grade is in the engineer's mirror!

The overpass was once PA 53.

AAAAAND she's narrow!  Brad and I dueling cameras!  The bridge was once wider...

The only action of the visit!

I lucked out as it was a double stack!  Look at the amount of clearance or lack thereof!  That's less-than three feet! 

Don't fall Brad!

Matt

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »

Great pics Matt

BTW, yer nutz! 8 degrees outside, like we had, and you're out chasin trains!
as Polaraco says....

Sheesh!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »

No Pain. . No Gain
No Brain. . No Pain

POLARACO2008-01-20 22:35:18

Sissy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 03:52:24 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
No Pain. . No Gain
No Brain. . No Pain

Good Shots. . .

Steve I have to agree with you all the way. I sat in the jeep i'm no dummy. When he got back in the jeep Matt said its cold out there.  I said no kiddin you dumb ------.
I even went as far to tell him if he had a brain he would be dangerous.  See !!!!!! (it's a man thing)
God Bless

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »

Let's call it determination.  Yes, it was miserable but I knew as soon as we would have driven off...

Sundays are tough to predict until late in the day on the line.  Eastbound Amtrak is usually within a few minutes of schedule but frieghts are sporadic.

Let's not forget too, elemental factors are a tool in photography.  Had that last pic been taken in July, there would have been no snow blowing out from under that eastbound giving an indication of the speed needed to achieve the summit of the grade.  By the time that train reaches Gallitzin it'll be crawling at full throttle.

As far as "No Brain", after a few minutes in the warm car I could finally remember my last name once again.  The thawing process had begun  and I achieved by goal!
Matt

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »

Well worth the journey Matt, I am surrounded by rail lines here
Conrail/CSX/Northfolk&Southern just finished a new line right near
my house, now it looks like NJ Transit is about to add another line to
the Raritan Valley line.

There are now 2 frieght lines and there has always been 2 Passenger lines and they are right next to each other.

One day I'll see what kind of sweet shots I can get for you fellas, Not
to mention the Conrail/CSX/NS&Southern line right behind my house.

Potatoe2008-01-22 17:40:55
Part of the Jersey Mob.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »

1968 Newport Convertible
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC