MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1956 Single to Dual MC Swap  (Read 1571 times)

DON CADORETTE

• View Profile
1956 Single to Dual MC Swap
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

Hi fellow Mopar Fin Folks - I'm new to the Forum - Also new to pre 1960 vehicles - For the last 35 years I've worked with late 60's to mid 80's MOPARS - (giving away my age lol) - That having been said - I've read some of the previous post concerning this matter - But I still have a question - - - May I just take the Dual MC ( complete setup with Prop Valve ) from say a late 60's Monaco or Newport etc. and swap it directly into the '56 Savoy and replicate the brake line installation in the Savoy ( from lines to the prop valve )  to mimic the late '60s car - The weight should be about the same for both cars allowing the 60/40 proportioning aspect to be about the same - - -  PLEASE HELP - - - Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated -  THANKS  DON  

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:36:18 AM »

Hey Don, welcome to the forum. One major issue to take into account when swapping the MCs is the brake setup front and back. Example, a dual master cylinder setup has to be shoe/shoe swapped to a shoe/shoe car, a disc/shoe to a shoe/shoe will have an offset of fluid being too little on the front of the car it is swapped to. If you are going to install disc on the swap, then it will work, otherwise the disc/shoe to a shoe/shoe will make the back brakes work the back brakes too much (it's scary, the rear tires will lock up first every time. So make sure you have the matching type MC for the application or put disc brakes on the front (most everything is disc/shoe by time you get to the swap you are looking at). The rest of the swap is straight forward as you stated, and to overcome a possible problem, yes, an additional porportioning valve can be installed, but then you are jacking the price of the swap up and defeating the reason for doing it, save money (besides improving safety).
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »

Yes Welcome.
Does this mean I am no longer the oldest member now?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »

Nobody is that old Steve!
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »

Quote from: MOPAR_DON
Hi fellow Mopar Fin Folks - I'm new to the Forum - Also new to pre 1960 vehicles - For the last 35 years I've worked with late 60's to mid 80's MOPARS - (giving away my age lol) - That having been said - I've read some of the previous post concerning this matter - But I still have a question - - - May I just take the Dual MC ( complete setup with Prop Valve ) from say a late 60's Monaco or Newport etc. and swap it directly into the '56 Savoy and replicate the brake line installation in the Savoy ( from lines to the prop valve )  to mimic the late '60s car - The weight should be about the same for both cars allowing the 60/40 proportioning aspect to be about the same - - -  PLEASE HELP - - - Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated -  THANKS  DON  

I'm sorry, I am brain damaged from several strokes.  I don't quite follow what you are asking for.  Reading is a handicap.  I get bits and pieces.  Would you  mind explaining what you want to do in a different way?  My reading skills are Kindergarten level now.  But I can still swing one hello a wrench.

DON CADORETTE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »

First THANKS kindly for a quick response - And as age goes lol I was in the USMC in 1979 lol ---Anyway My suggestion of the Newport was just a general statement - I guess I should have said if I locate a dual MC from any mid sixties Drum / Drum car of approx the same weight - could I just swap the entire setup and just hook up the two front and single rear lines in the same place on the donor prop valve and be fine -  The SAVOY will remain Drum /Drum - Not a show piece but will be a nice enough daily driver that I could still drop in on a cruise night or two
I guess in all my years of farting around with MOPAR's - I never ran into a single MC - However,  I do know this - I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO RELY ON ONE lol - Again thanks Guys

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:50:40 AM »

Yep, that's the ticket, you are on the right track and it should go smooth. 
And don't think of yourself as old, I retired from the Navy, joined in 1983 at the age of 22, so you are on par with a lot of us here.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »

A typical m/c swap for mid-'50s Mopars is to use one from a '67 Dart, imagine similar year Monaco etc would be much the same. I'm using a '67 Dart m/c for my '58 Chrysler Windsor.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »

I would think B Body.  but either would work.
Make sure you use a dual drum master.  You need both residual check valves if you are leaving it drums front and back

DON CADORETTE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »

THANKS GUYS - I did some research the 56 Savoy weighs about 3300 give or take a few pounds based on options - and the 67 Dart weighs about 3100 give or take a few lbs (both are avg numbers)- So i guess my conclusion is to buy a New 67 MC and the corresponding Prop Valve and treat the savoy as if it were a Dart - Concerning line   hook up / configuration

THANKS  KINDLY  GUYS

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC