MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix or sell.  (Read 1008 times)

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

So I have a slight issue. Do I fix me neon or sell it? ?. The car has roughly 200k miles, the needs list is as follows: four new tires, front brakes (pads & rotors), rear brakes (shoes &hardware), front and rear struts, harmonic balancer (the one rockauto sent me when I did the head is too big for power steering), clutch and mucho rusto. What do you guys think??I love the car but I need to be sensible as well.
176K miles 10/22

Jacques

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »

Compare expected repair costs against the price of another daily driver in better condition.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:14:01 AM »

Parts alone are a bit over 1.5k my concern is the huge amount of rust. The daily driver I want is close to impossible to find close enough to be obtainable within my price range
176K miles 10/22

firedome

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:45:27 AM »

James, if it were me I wouldn't put that kind of money into a rust bucket, plus a rusty car gets to the point of actually becoming unsafe, especially a unit-body car with no frame like a Neon.  I try to find a really solid car that has some minor problems if the price needs to be kept down. Best of all is if you know someone in the SW part of the country and can get one there, or get a car that came from there... I paid 800 for a virtually rust free '64 Dodge off Craigslist in Denver Colorado, cost 1000 to transport to NY, total cost: 1800.  One could do the same with a newer, more efficient car, whatever kind of car you are looking for.  It'd be a car worth upgrading over time, since you'd have a solid platform to start with.  Look around for the cleanest body car you can get there in WI or wherever, maybe you can get one from an elderly snow-bird who goes to AZ or FL in the winter.  Look for the right car, you want your family to be safe.  Mechanical work is cheaper and easier than body work, especially if you can do some of it yourself.

firedome2013-12-02 09:51:40
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:02 AM »

Good advice. If rust wasn't an underlying issue to parts replacement it would be a different story. All the years working on cars, a rust-free body is by far the most important issue when considering any purchase or repair. Like they say, a solid foundation is the most important part of any project.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »

Quote from: firedome
James, if it were me I wouldn't put that kind of money into a rust bucket, plus a rusty car gets to the point of actually becoming unsafe, especially a unit-body car with no frame like a Neon.  I try to find a really solid car that has some minor problems if the price needs to be kept down. Best of all is if you know someone in the SW part of the country and can get one there, or get a car that came from there... I paid 800 for a virtually rust free '64 Dodge off Craigslist in Denver Colorado, cost 1000 to transport to NY, total cost: 1800.  One could do the same with a newer, more efficient car, whatever kind of car you are looking for.  It'd be a car worth upgrading over time, since you'd have a solid platform to start with.  Look around for the cleanest body car you can get there in WI or wherever, maybe you can get one from an elderly snow-bird who goes to AZ or FL in the winter.  Look for the right car, you want your family to be safe.  Mechanical work is cheaper and easier than body work, especially if you can do some of it yourself.

I agree
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »

If it were rust free then I wouldn't have to ask lol.
176K miles 10/22

firedome

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »

OK well you asked and we told you!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
Fix or sell.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

I know where you can get a California Cadillac for $4995!!  I even have pictures now!
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC