MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Brakes Rebuild  (Read 926 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Rear Brakes Rebuild
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:08 AM »

Greetings,

So this is sort of a continuation that started as a question about my brake light staying on, and turned out to be about the brake adjustment, etc... For that, I will probably try and bleed the brakes again, because though I adjusted them what seemed to be enough, and the pedal improved. it still had more travel than I'd hoped, and the light is still on.

That said, when I removed the drums to adjust, there is a ton of rust in there. The springs and other parts are old and corroded, except for the shoes and wheel cylinders, which had been replaced.

The thing is, I am confused when I look at Rock Auto, because they have sets for 11x2". 11x2 3/4", and 11x3", and most say "except wagon".

What I've read leads me to believe the wagon would have the 11x3" brakes in the rear. The HD brakes came without self adjusters, and mine has them, just so rusty they won't work.

So, any advice as to which hardware kit and self adjuster kit I should get from Rock Auto? I can't see where the width of the shoes would matter so much as to which kits to get, but they do seem to have different ones.

Thank you... Bob

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Rear Brakes Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »

Well, best way would be to measure the width of your shoes themselves. We know they are 11 inches, but the thickness may alter the package inside as to the size of the components themselves. As long as the shoes are the correct size, the components will work, no difference once that is determined.

The other solution would be go to NAPA and match the parts up, they usually have a brake display and you can pick and choose different components. As far as the non-adjustable goes, it would be the backing plate having a rubber access plug in the plate or not, but that could be added.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Brian

• View Profile
Rear Brakes Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:42:19 AM »

I've never seen a 60's mopar without the Bendix syle self adjusting rear drums set-up.  You did say your has the adjuster, so I'd disregard that note about no adjustable set-up.

Double shuck your drum diameter...should be 11" and then measure across the face of your brake shoe.  Should be 2.5" or 3".  You can get a brake hardware kit for pretty much any mopar from mid 60's to the 90's with the appropriate 11" drums.

The self adjuster will come apart and will need to be cleaned up.  Then put a good dose of never seize on the threads and re-install.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC