MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out for a Drive...  (Read 601 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »

Well, it is possible the timing is advanced a little bit and the vacuum is holding the ignition advanced a little bit, and to verify, next time it happens this way, full foot to the floor once to clear the vacuum being held.  Check the level of fluid in the battery, get a little low and they can start doing this, too. Sometimes it helps for a while if its old, years if less than a couple years, kind of an annual check on fluid level. 

Torsion bar can be adjusted any time you want, I think it is a 3/4 inch socket for yours, too., give the low side a couple cranks to tighten the bolt, bounce a bit and get her levelled out properly, they always ride better that way, save the money and spend the extra $30 or so for the poly  bushings, they don't wear out as quickly and don't squish, so they handle better.

Enjoy the cruising while you can!
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

Is the gas old?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »

Not really. I just put gas in it on the way home, but what was already in it wasn't sitting in there for long.
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

That could be part of it.  Better dump some carb cleaner

Snotty

• View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

My Newport used to do that hard start after a drive, then just stopped turning over completely.  The problem was my voltage regulator.  However, the one I replaced did the same after a few months.  I took the car to Chris "The Doctor" and he told me to replace the starter.  It was drawing so many amps that it was cooking the regulator.  The problem went away with that replacement.
When the car was cold it had enough amps to start.

So, how old is your starter?
It's green here in Chico!!

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

That is an excellent point. When I got the car back, my buddy told me he had replaced the voltage regulator, and if this is going on, maybe I will replace the starter, and see how that works. I have a new voltage regulator that I bought awhile back, so I can replace it when I replace the starter.

That's the biggest difference between having this wagon, and having my first wagon. On the original "Beast", as it was dubbed in High School, since my parents bought it new, and I adopted it as my own, I had been in on nearly every mile that car had on it. So I knew it pretty much inside and out. Everything new on it was put on by me and my friend. This wagon, aside from the fuel system work I did, is nearly all somebody else's work. Piece by piece, though, I am going to make it mine.

Thanks. Bob

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »

Looking at starters on Rock Auto, I am wondering what's the best way to go... I remember when I replaced my starter in the olden days, the parts book called for a High Torque starter... I'm not sure if what they have at RA is the same, or if there is a better place to look.

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »

You can put the later mini in there also.  They were used on the pickups from 1991 to present.  I think the Hemi uses it too

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
Out for a Drive...
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »

The little high torque starters are a good idea these days, woth the effort to get one, better and easier replacement these days. The high torque starters can be identified with an aluminum plate on the end, whereas the regular starters have s stamped steel plate back there. There are winding differences, I believe, but this is the easiest external means to identify one.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC