MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Newport for sale - maybe....  (Read 3744 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Newport for sale - maybe....
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »

I've been giving serious thought to selling my Newport.  While I love the car I rarely drive it.  Since getting the T-Bird over a month ago I've driven it 3 times - am doing so tonight.

Yes, it is on my mind....
It's green here in Chico!!

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

Same reason Polaraco is going
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

Come on, you have a new car so it's normal that you drive that one a bit more often for now, but once you're used to it, you'll take the Newport more often again.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:09:46 AM »

I don't really blame you Scott, the smaller ones are fun too and a lot more practical. I never thought I'd say it, but the huge Cs have had their day and are increasingly out of tune with the modern world, just too big really. I always used to say they were the right size, especially for us bigger guys :-)  but in recent years I've come to think that somewhat smaller B and A body cars are a better fit for actually driving around in. Plus sometimes one feels a change is good just to shake things up. I've had a few Darts in the past and wouldn't mind another one...

I must have missed the T-Bird news... what year?  There sure are a lot of varieties of 'em!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »

Quote from: Sjak Brak
Come on, you have a new car so it's normal that you drive that one a bit more often for now, but once you're used to it, you'll take the Newport more often again.
That's true, but I haven't driven the car since November

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »

Quote from: firedome
I don't really blame you Scott, the smaller ones are fun too and a lot more practical. I never thought I'd say it, but the huge Cs have had their day and are increasingly out of tune with the modern world, just too big really. I always used to say they were the right size, especially for us bigger guys :-)  but in recent years I've come to think that somewhat smaller B and A body cars are a better fit for actually driving around in. Plus sometimes one feels a change is good just to shake things up. I've had a few Darts in the past and wouldn't mind another one...

I must have missed the T-Bird news... what year?  There sure are a lot of varieties of 'em!

Amen on the size!!!   I have always liked big cars, but driving through the Taco Bell "Drive Through" last night was a reminder that the size of this car is no longer taken into consideration in modern construction.  Wow!!  There is another T-Bell where I have to back up after receiving my order - there is no way that car can make the necessary turn to get out.  Luckily no one has ever been behind me at such times!  (The Gremlin has no problem however! )  The thinking about an A body has been with me since a buddy offered me a straight-up trade for his Dart at a Spring Fling some 5 years ago.  Parts of me still wish I took him up on the offer.  His motor was junk but the body and interior were terrific.  Since my car can use paint and the interior is old I thought it would have been a good trade.  Alas, I passed.

The Wonderturd!  It's a '95 LX with the 4.6 V8.  It belonged to a woman in Wasco who I had once told to give me a call if she ever wanted to sell it.  She did!  She kept very good care of it.  When she offered it to me for $1,550, down from 2 grand, I bit.  After putting in a new Driver's seat, visors, trunk seal, and two rims with new tires on the Stratus I sold it for $1,500.  So, the 'Bird cost me $350.  I am quite pleased - thank God!  I am now driving a car that I am not worried about taking out of town - and enjoying it!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: Sjak Brak

The reality is I have not liked the MPG of my Newp since the day I got it - I've written a number of posts about that subject on this site.  That is not going to change unless I drop a 383 into it - which I would like to do except for one thing - lack of funds.  Lack of funds is also why I don't drive the car much.  See, it's a continuous cycle.  I would love to have an A Body with a /6, or even a B/E with a 318, with a 4-speed.  A rag-top would be even better!  I could have the looks, the fun, and the mileage!  What I currently have is the looks, the fun, and crappy gas mileage.  As I said in another post, my '70 /6 Challenger got 27 MPG!!  I would love that!

The woman who bought my Stratus saw the Newp and said, "Wow, if I had that I'd drive it everyday!"  I said, "Not at 10 MPG."   I can't seem to get beyond the tight Scotsman attitude I was raised with.  And, as a Pastor, I have never rolled in dough.  That's why I sold the '62 - I would never have the money to do to that car I wanted to.  Now I have a car that looks and runs great but is too expensive to drive.  D'oh!!!

On that, Frances and  drove to Sac Town last Saturday for a lunch with a bunch of friends.  I really wanted to take the Newp.  Why didn't I?  Because that would have taken a entire tank - $60-70.  I drove the T-bird - half-tank.  There it is.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »

I heard about this on the C-line so I logged in for one reason and for one reason only.

That is all.  As you were.

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
I heard about this on the C-line so I logged in for one reason and for one reason only.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is Satan talking.  What have you done with Scott?????

WOW! Who was that masked man?
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

300rag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

Quote from: azblackhemi

I knew I could get a response from Stan. It really would be a shame to let it go, but....if it doesn't float your boat anymore...

1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/ 4 speed ; 1969 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383/727 ; 1969 Monaco 500 2-door 318/727

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »

Stanley.. we hardly knew ye! Don't be proud... it's a sin. Come back to torment us.. . please!!
 This place needs all the help it can get.

Scott what you say makes sense because it's a a heavy car with a big block, my Fury III 'vert got 18 mpg on the hwy, so maybe there's a compromise here, IF you want the big boat thang that is... me I've become  convinced that B body cars, and maybe A body cars,  are the perfect size, with a /6 or 273/318 for power, for the times were in.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »

B bodies need big blocks, suck the gas mileage up, they are becoming too valuable to drive as a daily almost, but they are fun for the different shows. In comparison, I barely get 20mpg out of my Dakota V6 (it's an aero thing I am convinced), so 17-18 isn't that far off. My old 361 68 Charger was a good solid 17mpg as fast as I wanted to cruise, but that was more than ten years ago when prices were a little more reasonable. 

A bodies at the same time are fine as a small block, and if going to the trouble, a 4 speed auto or even 5spd manual can get you into the low 20s without much difficulty, and definitely a little more fun than just point a to point b transportation.
C bodies and a little work, swap a full 5.7 Hemi in there and you could get low 20s, maybe mid 20s with the overdrive stuff would still pull the boat around without a problem and still be fun, both the swap and the driving.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Quote from: azblackhemi

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »

Hang around a while Stan!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC